News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

People with nice cars using food stamps

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, July 12, 2017, 10:08:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

To the casual grocery shopper seeing someone buy expensive food, steaks, seafood and so on then getting into an expensive vehicle always seems like it should be illegal, but there's a little back story behind who these people typically are. They aren't who you think.
Anyone who has ever had to use food stamps to put food on the table for any length of time will tell you that they've had to sell their food stamps on the black market probably more than once and very likely every month.
Well I'm going to shock you and tell you just who drives a nice car and buys expensive food with food stamps..They're people who buy food stamps on the black market for half price or less. They are NOT that poor mother with 3 kids barely getting by. They're the guy down the street who sees the opportunity to get their food for half price or less.
You really want to clamp down on fraud with food stamps?  Make buying food stamps on the black market a federal crime, but the problem with this is the people forced to sell their groceries for half price are then stuck trying to come up with emergency cash another way.
Yeah, I know..nothing really shocking about this especially if you ever grew up in poverty, but it certainly busts the myth of the welfare queen. The real welfare queens are the people who exploit poor folks with their backs to the wall every day of the year.
The reason this came to mind is an article in the Guardian about food stamps and the so called shame associated with it. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/12/food-stamps-poverty-america-shame?CMP
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Baruch

A guy in our town was recently arrested for dealing in black market food stamps.  Don't do this at home, kiddies!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Jane Plain

"Anyone who has ever had to use food stamps to put food on the table for any length of time will tell you that they've had to sell their food stamps on the black market probably more than once and very likely every month. "

That's a crazy statement.  I was once one of those "anyone" people using food stamps and I never sold them.

Baruch

Quote from: Jane Plain on July 12, 2017, 11:57:32 PM
"Anyone who has ever had to use food stamps to put food on the table for any length of time will tell you that they've had to sell their food stamps on the black market probably more than once and very likely every month. "

That's a crazy statement.  I was once one of those "anyone" people using food stamps and I never sold them.

I was on food stamps once in the early 90s.  I don't do drugs or gamble, so I don't have a tendency to sell my children or anything else.  Also back then food stamps were controlled by JP Morgan/Chase aieee!  They hadn't been outsourced to the Morlocks.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Jane Plain on July 12, 2017, 11:57:32 PM

Same here.

As for "people with nice cars", is this anything more than an effort to slander the people who get food stamps, call them frauds? I knew a guy in Indiana who was caught fucking a pumpkin. That doesn't mean every Hoosier is a pumpkin-fucker.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 13, 2017, 07:33:19 AM
Same here.

I knew a guy in Indiana who was caught fucking a pumpkin. That doesn't mean every Hoosier is a pumpkin-fucker.
Uhhhh.......................yes it does!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 13, 2017, 11:29:08 AM
It's most likely just the tip of the iceberg.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on July 13, 2017, 12:26:55 PM
It's most likely just the tip of the iceberg.
Lettuce was the next field over.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 13, 2017, 11:29:08 AM
With such a convincing argument I will have to rethink my position.
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 13, 2017, 12:31:15 PM
Lettuce was the next field over.
A pumpkin maybe, but a head of lettuce is just too kinky.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on July 13, 2017, 06:21:29 PM
A pumpkin maybe, but a head of lettuce is just too kinky.

Head of lettuce ... how liberals get brain transplants?  If you "did it"with a jack-o-lantern, would you "do it" in all the holes?  Even the eye-holes?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 13, 2017, 12:31:46 PM
With such a convincing argument I will have to rethink my position.
Yeah, I thought so!!!  Drew is giving me pointers on how to argue---and see, it's working!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on July 13, 2017, 06:56:06 PM
Head of lettuce ... how liberals get brain transplants?  If you "did it"with a jack-o-lantern, would you "do it" in all the holes?  Even the eye-holes?
Duh!  What do you think???

Mike Cl

My first year as a teacher I just barely missed qualifying for foot stamps.  But I did qualify for commodities.  You bet I took them.  And I traded away the stuff I did not like.  If I could have sold some, I would have.  (As I remember it, the butter was top notch)  Don't know if I would have sold some of the food stamps, but back in the day, money was hard to come by.

Cavebear

I was so poor once (5 guys in a 2 bedroom apartment) that I was eating hamburger helper helper.  Double the dose.  But I knew to buy cheap veggies, so I got along well even then. 

If you wanted to enter the kitchen at night, you flicked on the light and waited for the roaches to fall off the ceiling and cabinets.  It wasn't that our place wasn't clean, but the neighbors weren't. 

We were all at minimum wage.  The moment we got more, we left individually.  And to this day, I will never eat anything that seems like a little ground meat in a lot of starch...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!