Bye Bye Miss American Pie ...

Started by Baruch, June 29, 2017, 07:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on July 03, 2017, 08:18:16 AM
The last supervolcano eruption at Yellowstone was about 630,000 years ago.  Not 70,000.  The poster may be thinking of the Toba super eruption which did occur about 70.000 years ago at Sumatra.
I noticed that too.  I didn't have the dates on hand, but 70,000 was way off the mark from the source I had, and the devastation was much more far reaching than what he explained.  No doubt there have been smaller irruptions, and he may have been using those as typical.  As I recall, we are actually overdue for one of the massive irruptions, but that being said, massive irruptions don't run by a clock.

SGOS

He might have been from the Wyoming Chamber of Commerce. :biggrin:

Unbeliever

I've wondered just how hard it would be for bad guys to cause an eruption by artificial means - maybe fracking for natural gas would do it.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

I am reminded of 2 unrelated businessmen vacationing in Miami.  After exchanging a few pleasantries, the first confided he was wealthy because his business had burned to the ground.  The second said his had been destroyed by an earthquake.  After a few moments, the first asked "How to you start an earthquake"?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!