News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

War for the Planet of the Apes

Started by simplyalex, July 11, 2017, 02:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on July 14, 2017, 04:36:51 AM
Did anyone else notice the news-reports, in the background of the first film, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, about the Mars-mission spacecraft that went missing? It was named, "Icarus," which was the name of Charlton Heston's ship, in the 1968 movie.

I am expecting that to be relevant, sooner or later.
I did not know that, but I would certainly expect the scripting continuity expert to know.  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Solomon Zorn

Another interesting - but completely irrelevant to the story - little detail that I caught, was that the name of the orangutan, "Maurice," is an homage to Maurice Evans, who played Dr. Zaius, in the 1968 film.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Cavebear

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on July 14, 2017, 05:23:09 AM
Another interesting - but completely irrelevant to the story - little detail that I caught, was that the name of the orangutan, "Maurice," is an homage to Maurice Evans, who played Dr. Zaius, in the 1968 film.

Insider movie jokes are fun.  There was a pac man game in the background of a scene in Tron, Star Wars characters as hieroglyphics in Raiders Of The Lost Arc, a "Club Obi Wan" in Indiana Jones And the Temple Of Doom, some ET The Extra-Terrestrials in the Star Wars Galactic Senate, etc.

SGOS

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on July 14, 2017, 04:36:51 AM
Did anyone else notice the news-reports, in the background of the first film, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, about the Mars-mission spacecraft that went missing? It was named, "Icarus," which was the name of Charlton Heston's ship, in the 1968 movie.

I am expecting that to be relevant, sooner or later.
I missed that reference completely and I didn't know the name of the ship until you just told me, and I do hope it becomes relevant, and that it wasn't done as a catchy insider "see if you get this reference to Ape Planet facts" kind of Easter Egg.  As I said before, bringing the whole double series full circle could be fascinating on the order of "getting goose bumps" fascinating.  I'm trying to think of another series that has done this.  Series often reference previous films and even films not related to the series, but the crew of the some future mission coming upon the crew of the Icarus has great plot potential.

By keeping the original film in mind, it opens up the possibility of dealing with more ape development.  How did they decide to create a law giver and how did they determine what laws should be attributed to the law giver?  Why did science become important but played no part in their military advancement?  Or their agricultural development?  But then how could a human society of the future that has become speechless and dull witted launch a future mission?  I guess they wouldn't.  So in some film the lower humans will just encounter advanced humans that came from their own past, which of course would seem like they must have come from the future since they are more advanced.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on July 14, 2017, 05:46:43 AM
Insider movie jokes are fun.  There was a pac man game in the background of a scene in Tron, Star Wars characters as hieroglyphics in Raiders Of The Lost Arc, a "Club Obi Wan" in Indiana Jones And the Temple Of Doom, some ET The Extra-Terrestrials in the Star Wars Galactic Senate, etc.

They're called "easter eggs".
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 14, 2017, 07:31:28 AM
They're called "easter eggs".

Yes, I know.  I learned the term in software.  At one time, there was a special key combination in one cell of Excel that send you into a whole world below the spreadsheet where you could move around through paths and look at the data in the cells above.  And no, I do not remember where it was.