News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

War for the Planet of the Apes

Started by simplyalex, July 11, 2017, 02:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simplyalex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5lWpxvrd-I

Who else excited to see this movie? The trailer looks promising compared to the past Planet of the Apes Films.

Shiranu

The last two were brilliant films, so I don't expect this one to change. Ceaser's story is great.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

The first movie was cheap but unique/good.  The 2nd was OK for explaining how it happened.  After that, they are all just fast mayhem.  Sort of like the 'Alien' movies, though 'Prometheus' was a surprise because I didn't realize the connection at first.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

As I recall, in the second film, I wanted the apes to win.  It's traitorous to cheer for the non humans.  But that's how I felt.

Shiranu

Quote from: SGOS on July 11, 2017, 09:11:44 PM
As I recall, in the second film, I wanted the apes to win.  It's traitorous to cheer for the non humans.  But that's how I felt.

The second original, or the second reboot?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Solomon Zorn

In my, humble opinion...which is the result of a lifelong love of sci-fi in general, coupled with a childhood love for the original Planet of the Apes(owning a bunch of the Mego action figures, back in the 70's, and initiating, at one time, an actual neighborhood-spanning game of Planet of the Apes), I feel uniquely qualified to say, definitively...the new Planet of the Apes series, is the best sci-fi in decades. I can't wait to see War.

"Caesar is home..."
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: simplyalex
Who else excited to see this movie?
Oh, ME, most definitely...HOWEVER...

Quote from: simplyalexThe trailer looks promising compared to the past Planet of the Apes Films.
...I have to take exception, to this statement. Just by the fact that you said it, reveals that you are too young to actually appreciate the franchise, and therefore don't know what the fuck you are talking about(unless when you say, "past Planet of the Apes Films," you are talking exclusively, about Tim Burton's recent abomination). I am too tired, right now to lecture you, in all the reasons, that you are in error...but instead, let me just offer these few quotes, from the 1968, Charlton Heston film...

Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!

You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!

Dr. Zira: What will he find out there, doctor?
Dr. Zaius: His destiny...

There are probably much better ones, but it was A LONG TIME AGO, and I am VERY TIRED, and these are sufficient, in any case, to make my point.

The Planet of the Apes, is my ALL TIME FAVORITE CLASSIC SCI-FI MOVIE, which would doubtless mean much more, in terms of an endorsement, if you knew me at all, or how I LITERALLY suffered, in "Junior High School"(now usually known as "Middle School") just for being a "space" fan(otherwise known as geek - it wasn't always the benign term, that it is now). In fact, you might actually do that thing that the apes do, to show supplication to Caesar, in the new franchise, and...stroke my hand.

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on July 11, 2017, 09:49:33 PM
The second original, or the second reboot?
The second film of reboot.  I haven't seen it for a long time, so it may have been the first film of the reboot, or it may have been both.  In the original, I didn't stop and think about which side I was on.  I was mostly caught up in the reversal of roles, and the dynamics of the ape civilization, with ape scientists at odds with ape fanatics and human sympathizer apes at odds with the apes who wanted to wipe out humans.

In the second film of the reboot, I recall a similarity to the 1968 film.  There were apes that wanted human/ape coexistence and purely evil apes, so I probably wanted the "coexistence" apes to prevail.  I can't remember much about the humans.  I think they were just trying to survive.  I have both of the reboots.  I need to watch them again before I see the third, assuming that there is going to be some continuity to the three films.

Solomon Zorn

I posted this interview, on another thread, for the political humor value, but I think it's worth re-posting, here, for the substantial Planet of the Apes content.

Andy Serkis plays Ceasar, in the new films, and in addition to the very-cool demonstration, of how his performance, is translated into motion-capture, he also has an interesting take, on the new Planet of the Apes story, at 5:20...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64mWOoj68qo

SGOS

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on July 13, 2017, 06:08:34 AM
Andy Serkis plays Ceasar, in the new films, and in addition to the very-cool demonstration, of how his performance, is translated into motion-capture, he also has an interesting take, on the new Planet of the Apes story
They showed the transition from Andy to the Ape, and I see what appears to be little sensors on his face that might be used to identify facial points as he curls lips or blinks, but if these sorts of demonstrations are clear enough for anyone to actually understand how they make a man look like an ape, I'd like to see that person do it.

SGOS

I remember seeing Serkis play minor roles in some 1990s romantic comedies.  Thirteen Going on Thirty is one I remember rather well.  He's definitely found a niche.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: SGOS on July 13, 2017, 07:20:18 AM
They showed the transition from Andy to the Ape, and I see what appears to be little sensors on his face that might be used to identify facial points as he curls lips or blinks, but if these sorts of demonstrations are clear enough for anyone to actually understand how they make a man look like an ape, I'd like to see that person do it.
That's not what they were trying to accomplish, with the demonstration, Brother.

It was intended to show how much of Serkis' performance(facial expressions, etc.), is actually represented in Caesar's final rendering, on screen. I had no idea, before seeing that, how much of the actor, is in the ape.

Cavebear

I think my problem with the post-second original and more with the reboots is the utter incompetence of the humans.  We're not that inept at defending ourselves.  I know sci-fi requires a 'willing suspension of disbelief' (and I have been good at that for 55 years) but the new Ape movies demand more than that.  They demand screaming mobs of terrified idiots.

The movies could have been more balanced.  Human soldiers aren't idiots and can see strategies developing in enemies.  Our fellow apes, even with increased intelligence aren't perfect.  And there are over 7.5 billion of us.  Humans can be lethal too.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Cavebear on July 14, 2017, 03:36:34 AM...I know sci-fi requires a 'willing suspension of disbelief' (and I have been good at that for 55 years) but the new Ape movies demand more than that...
A very close friend of mine(who...on a completely unrelated note...is also an atheist), said that he had a similar problem, with "suspension of disbelief," for the new movies. His problem was with the eyes of the apes, which he considered to be too obviously CGI.

I think you're both under-appreciating them.

Solomon Zorn

Did anyone else notice the news-reports, in the background of the first film, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, about the Mars-mission spacecraft that went missing? It was named, "Icarus," which was the name of Charlton Heston's ship, in the 1968 movie.

I am expecting that to be relevant, sooner or later.