COMCAST: the Most DESPICABLE MONOPOLY in America...

Started by Solomon Zorn, July 09, 2017, 06:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

I used to be on Comcast, but switched to Verizon FIOS when it became available.  My friend had FIOS and the reception was just better. 

But my major objection to Comcast is the deceptive advertising.  It grits my teeth listening to them compare their current cable service to the 1990s DSL from Verizon.  Who offers DSL these days?  It is like listening to a modern car company comparing their gas mileage to a 1960s Corvette.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on July 11, 2017, 09:14:09 AM
Who offers DSL these days?  It is like listening to a modern car company comparing their gas mileage to a 1960s Corvette.
Unfortunately, out in less populated areas that is all that is available sometimes.  Most of us in my square mile neighborhood can now have something other than a dialup connection, but we pay dearly for DSL, $82/mo.  But if you want something bad enough, you can convince yourself you're not being taken advantage of.  The alternative of recognizing that you're just an object of manipulation is not all that appealing.

And you're right about lying and false advertising.  It's especially rampant among the communications providers.  I can't speak to Comcast directly.  Perhaps they are totally consumer oriented, with a desire to establish a reputation on their best business practices, but it doesn't sound like it.  If you have to actually call them each year when they routinely try to fuck you over, and you have to threaten them, it sounds like they're actually taking advantage of a lot of chumps who think a company like Comcast would never behave like that.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on July 11, 2017, 10:00:51 AM
Unfortunately, out in less populated areas that is all that is available sometimes.  Most of us in my square mile neighborhood can now have something other than a dialup connection, but we pay dearly for DSL, $82/mo.  But if you want something bad enough, you can convince yourself you're not being taken advantage of.  The alternative of recognizing that you're just an object of manipulation is not all that appealing.

And you're right about lying and false advertising.  It's especially rampant among the communications providers.  I can't speak to Comcast directly.  Perhaps they are totally consumer oriented, with a desire to establish a reputation on their best business practices, but it doesn't sound like it.  If you have to actually call them each year when they routinely try to fuck you over, and you have to threaten them, it sounds like they're actually taking advantage of a lot of chumps who think a company like Comcast would never behave like that.

SGOS, if DSL is truly all that is available is some places, I must humbly apologize.  I thought the Comcast ads were just cheap cynical lies.  And I will have to apologize (in my mind only) to Comcast about my evil thoughts about them.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: SGOS on July 11, 2017, 10:00:51 AM

I don't see it as deceptive if they tell you up front you are getting a special price for a limited time after which your price increases to standard charges.

My experience with Comcast is they have the best customer service in the traditional cable business. I've used Comcast, Charter, Time Warner, WOW, Mediacom, Cox and a few other smaller providers over the years so I have some basis for comparison. Comcast's all digital Xfinity service is also the most advanced technology in use by any of the traditional cable service providers I'm familiar with.

That doesn't mean their customer service is perfect. They have somewhere north of 25 million subscribers, and they can't please all the people all time no matter how hard they try.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Solomon Zorn

HELLO AGAIN! I say that because I have just returned from, about AN HOUR AND A HALF of being "internet deprived."

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on July 10, 2017, 11:31:11 PM
...I have very little sympathy for your plight.
So happy to hear, you are having such a great experience with Comcast, but to paraphrase John Oliver, "Food chain: it's the best thing around, WHEN YOU'RE ON TOP..." You are very likely, for who knows what fucking reason, the beneficiary of someone else's shit-for-service-suffering...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwidth_throttling

QuoteBandwidth throttling is the intentional slowing of Internet service by an Internet service provider. It is a reactive measure employed in communication networks to regulate network traffic and minimize bandwidth congestion (for large companies that can afford to pay the ISP to take away service for local households and carry more bandwidth to them).
I realize you are not "a large company," but it doesn't necessarily matter. Somewhere in your town, someone is probably being ripped off, so that you can be BLESSED.

Phalleluyah!
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Solomon Zorn

And, by the way, if Cavebear and I can agree, then you should know, instinctively, something is definitely wrong here!

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on July 11, 2017, 10:07:28 PM
HELLO AGAIN! I say that because I have just returned from, about AN HOUR AND A HALF of being "internet deprived."
So happy to hear, you are having such a great experience with Comcast, but to paraphrase John Oliver, "Food chain: it's the best thing around, WHEN YOU'RE ON TOP..." You are very likely, for who knows what fucking reason, the beneficiary of someone else's shit-for-service-suffering...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwidth_throttling
I realize you are not "a large company," but it doesn't necessarily matter. Somewhere in your town, someone is probably being ripped off, so that you can be BLESSED.

Phalleluyah!

What I said was I have very little sympathy for your plight if you haven't reported your problem to Comcast and given them a chance to fix it.

Have you?

Solomon Zorn

Okay, Brother...you actually did, unintentionally...eviscerate me, but not for the reason you think. I have not called Comcast, because...

(That's all you will get, for an answer, to that question, because the truth, in detail, would not only seem to nullify my entire complaint - although technically it is still true - but also...)

I think you probably understand, where I would be going with this answer(but, out of "internet paranoia," I'm not going to go there)...

So...YOU WIN!(retrieve your prize, at the door, as you leave)

Either way...COMCAST SUCKS!

Atheon

Probably run by Republicans. Republicans poison everything.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on July 11, 2017, 11:12:57 PM
Okay, Brother...you actually did, unintentionally...eviscerate me, but not for the reason you think. I have not called Comcast, because...

(That's all you will get, for an answer, to that question, because the truth, in detail, would not only seem to nullify my entire complaint - although technically it is still true - but also...)

I think you probably understand, where I would be going with this answer(but, out of "internet paranoia," I'm not going to go there)...

So...YOU WIN!(retrieve your prize, at the door, as you leave)

Either way...COMCAST SUCKS!

It was never about winning, Solomon. My original point was that Comcast is not a monopoly. There might be a handful of people in this country that have no choice on the types of services Comcast sells other than Comcast, but I doubt you are one of them. For me Comcast represents the best available value for my entertainment dollars. That's subjective on my part, but I feel that way because I believe I get more for less with Comcast than I would get if I used one of the other service providers available in my area at this point in time.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on July 12, 2017, 12:52:28 PM
It was never about winning, Solomon. My original point was that Comcast is not a monopoly. There might be a handful of people in this country that have no choice on the types of services Comcast sells other than Comcast, but I doubt you are one of them. For me Comcast represents the best available value for my entertainment dollars. That's subjective on my part, but I feel that way because I believe I get more for less with Comcast than I would get if I used one of the other service providers available in my area at this point in time.
Actually, on that point, and the $20 remark also, you are mistaken. I live in an apartment complex, that wont allow satellite dishes. So Comcast is my only option. I haven't subscribed to the TV service, for many years(I get 3 channels, on the antenna FOX, CBS and NBC ...2 of which were recently purchased by Sinclair...another despicable company...but that is another topic, on another thread), but I do use their internet service. My contempt for them, started some years ago, when they closed their local office, and has only grown ever since.

Baruch

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on July 12, 2017, 03:01:24 PM
Actually, on that point, and the $20 remark also, you are mistaken. I live in an apartment complex, that wont allow satellite dishes. So Comcast is my only option. I haven't subscribed to the TV service, for many years(I get 3 channels, on the antenna FOX, CBS and NBC ...2 of which were recently purchased by Sinclair...another despicable company...but that is another topic, on another thread), but I do use their internet service. My contempt for them, started some years ago, when they closed their local office, and has only grown ever since.

All customer service is being moved to India, Zorn sahib.  We are doing the best we can, given that English isn't our first language.  For better service, please speak Hindi ;-)

यह हमारी गलती नहीà¤, है à¤...गर कोई पवित्र गाय आपके सैटेलाइट रिसेप्शन को à¤...वरुद्ध कर रहा है!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Baruch on July 12, 2017, 06:55:20 PM
All customer service is being moved to India, Zorn sahib.  We are doing the best we can, given that English isn't our first language.  For better service, please speak Hindi ;-)

Language barrier aside, the Hindi working the customer service desk are probably better educated (and more intelligent) than their American counterparts.

Baruch

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on July 12, 2017, 08:14:03 PM
Language barrier aside, the Hindi working the customer service desk are probably better educated (and more intelligent) than their American counterparts.

May the god Ganesh look kindly upon your elephants ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Solomon Zorn

A related video, that I am now double posting...and again, it's a problem that you thought was resolved...but...Trump...

When you're done, you may want to click on this convenient link...
gofccyourself.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92vuuZt7wak

And here's a slightly more recent update...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI5y-_sqJT0