COMCAST: the Most DESPICABLE MONOPOLY in America...

Started by Solomon Zorn, July 09, 2017, 06:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solomon Zorn

If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Baruch

Yes, it is true ... despicable.  Neither D nor R want to enforce anti-trust laws.  I don't know if I want the elephant stuffed up the donkey's ass, or the donkey stuffed up the elephant's ass ... but I want someone to be corn-holed!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Solomon Zorn

I know, I know...MORE JOHN OLIVER...but this one, which I just discovered, after posting this thread, is very relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpbOEoRrHyU

"...the entire contents of MEIN KAMPF..."

...Laughed  my ass off...

Baruch

Sorry, but we have to go back to three TV stations, all controlled by the CIA/FBI ... just like when I was growing up.  So there isn't going to be Net Neutrality much longer ... gotta protect anti-Fa self-righteousness and delete the alt-Right.

Sorry, I didn't find the notion of laughing at the phrase "net neutrality" to be funny, given what it covers.  Like laughing at a murder.  It is much more than charging Netflix users a larger pipe at the expense of those of us who don't stream, and charging them premium prices, while crapifying it for the rest of us.  The R-D party wants their Fourth Reich.

I think everyone should read Mein Kampf ... and William Shirer's "Rise & Fall of the Third Reich".  The graphic history "Maus" is also required reading.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

I have Comcast cable, Internet and phone and have no complaints. It's a 100% digital service. The service is reliable, and when I do have the occasional problem they usually take care of it quickly. I get pretty much every channel they offer on my current package except The Movie Channel plus 105 Meg Internet. It's actually cheaper to get the package with telephone service than without it. I currently pay about $125 a month. Once a year the price goes up to over $225. When it does I call tell them it's more than I want to pay, and need to get rid rid of some of my services. They put me on a special and the price goes back down for another year.

Around here Comcast is not a monopoly. There is a second cable provider. DirecTV, Dish and AT&T are also options. Google Fiber will be available soon too. They are building their plant now. It is already available in some parts of town.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

SGOS

Why the fuss about Comcast?  You don't need to look far to find a despicable monopoly, especially in the field of communications.  How about Direct TV and Dish Network?

Outside of that, pharmaceuticals get pretty despicable.

Anyway, I recall that there is a US law that prevents monopolies, but there is probably a newer law that cancels it, or protects monopoly like behavior.  We only learn about the first one in school though.  It's the one the government made a big deal about.

SGOS

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on July 10, 2017, 07:11:58 AM
I have Comcast cable, Internet and phone and have no complaints. It's a 100% digital service. The service is reliable, and when I do have the occasional problem they usually take care of it quickly. I get pretty much every channel they offer on my current package except The Movie Channel plus 105 Meg Internet. It's actually cheaper to get the package with telephone service than without it. I currently pay about $125 a month. Once a year the price goes up to over $225. When it does I call tell them it's more than I want to pay, and need to get rid rid of some of my services. They put me on a special and the price goes back down for another year.

Around here Comcast is not a monopoly. There is a second cable provider. DirecTV, Dish and AT&T are also options. Google Fiber will be available soon too. They are building their plant now. It is already available in some parts of town.
$125 dollars?!  You're still getting screwed.  Here's what you should do.  Get rid of Comcast, internet, phone, TV and the entire package.  Don't sign up for any of the others.  Now you no doubt already own a DVD player.  Go out an buy just one DVD with Willy Wonka, and set your DVD player to automatically replay the video when the movie is over.  It would be even better if you could reset it to replay just the Oompa Loopa seqences.  Leave it on 24 hours a day, even when you sleep.  After six months, I guarantee you will be just as emotionally satisfied, intellectually stimulated, and as well informed about current events as you would have been with your entire Comcast package.  And all the time you wasted reaching for the remote and searching for something to watch can be better utilized to do something more productive, like smoking cigarettes.  Your carpel tunnel syndrome will go away, and you will be more physically fit.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: SGOS on July 10, 2017, 08:42:40 AM
$125 dollars?!  You're still getting screwed.  Here's what you should do.  Get rid of Comcast, internet, phone, TV and the entire package.  Don't sign up for any of the others.  Now you no doubt already own a DVD player.  Go out an buy just one DVD with Willy Wonka, and set your DVD player to automatically replay the video when the movie is over.  It would be even better if you could reset it to replay just the Oompa Loopa seqences.  Leave it on 24 hours a day, even when you sleep.  After six months, I guarantee you will be just as emotionally satisfied, intellectually stimulated, and as well informed about current events as you would have been with your entire Comcast package.  And all the time you wasted reaching for the remote and searching for something to watch can be better utilized to do something more productive, like smoking cigarettes.  Your carpel tunnel syndrome will go away, and you will be more physically fit.

Nope. I'm perfectly happy with the services I receive for my $125. The QOS I get from the Comcast Xfinity cable service is is way better than I can currently get from any other source short of over the air, and over the air content is rather limited in this smallish market. Comcast doesn't deliver Blu-Rae quality, but it is the next best thing available to me at this point in time. That includes steaming from Amazon or from the thousands of sources available via the Kodi app. Plus using either of the latter requires Internet access, and the best Internet access currently available for my home is Comcast's service. When Google Fiber gets to our neighborhood I'll probably try that out, but in the meantime I have no desire to take a giant leap backwards in the technology department by switching to any of the multiple services available to me right now.

fencerider

the anti monopoly law is called the Sherman anti-trust act. I think it's still around, but it hasn't been enforced for 10-15 years. (maybe Congress is getting kickbacks from the Big Box companies to not enforce it)
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Solomon Zorn

Well, to be honest, without studying law, for a while...I can't say for sure, that they meet the definition of a monopoly, I guess...But having just this very second, been reconnected, after being kicked off-line, for no apparent reason(this time, in the middle of typing), and for about the 6th time today, I felt it important to say one thing...

Solomon Zorn

Solomon Zorn

And now...approximately 2 minutes after that last post, I am ONCE AGAIN returning, from being kicked off-line! It would be comical, if it weren't so fucking infuriating! Sorry, PoppyesPappy, but you have about as much chance of convincing me, that Comcast is a good company, as you do of convincing me that, "God is Love," while my walking nightmare of a life, shows me, every day, that he sure as the fuck doesn't love me.

And, of course, the reason it took me so long, to post this response, was primarily due to the fact, I GOT KICKED OFF, YET AGAIN, IN THE MIDDLE OF POSTING IT!

Solomon Zorn

They actually just WASTED SO MUCH OF MY TIME, that I forgot that I had beer in the freezer, to cool faster, and of course, THEY FROZE!

That, Brother, is TRULY UNFORGIVABLE!

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on July 10, 2017, 09:18:54 PM
And now...approximately 2 minutes after that last post, I am ONCE AGAIN returning, from being kicked off-line! It would be comical, if it weren't so fucking infuriating! Sorry, PoppyesPappy, but you have about as much chance of convincing me, that Comcast is a good company, as you do of convincing me that, "God is Love," while my walking nightmare of a life, shows me, every day, that he sure as the fuck doesn't love me.

And, of course, the reason it took me so long, to post this response, was primarily due to the fact, I GOT KICKED OFF, YET AGAIN, IN THE MIDDLE OF POSTING IT!

Soloman, if this is an issue that's been going on for a while then my $100 to your $20 says the problem you are describing is local to you and not something Comcast should be expected to be aware of unless you tell them about it. Not necessarily a problem you are responsible for because it could very well be a bad modem or wiring problem. Have you called Comcast and given them a chance to fix it? If not I'm sorry, but I have very little sympathy for your plight.

SGOS

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on July 10, 2017, 11:31:11 PM
Soloman, if this is an issue that's been going on for a while then my $100 to your $20 says the problem you are describing is local to you and not something Comcast should be expected to be aware of unless you tell them about it. Not necessarily a problem you are responsible for because it could very well be a bad modem or wiring problem. Have you called Comcast and given them a chance to fix it? If not I'm sorry, but I have very little sympathy for your plight.
My Internet has been wonky all day too.  I haven't gotten kicked off line, but things sometimes don't load. And it's been slow when they do.  I use Century Link.  This happens from time to time.  I don't know if it's my hardware or something going on with the net or my provider.  Most of the time, things work normally after a day or two.