Why we need coal, Trump the saviour

Started by Reoas, July 04, 2017, 04:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 06, 2017, 10:00:25 AM
Once upon a time, there was wood.  And wood burned.  It was for sure the ultimate fuel.

Then someone discovered they could light dried peat, and that was wonderful.  The wood-burners hated it.

Then some crazy lunatic discovered ancient compressed peat and called it coal and it was wonderful.  The old peat burners and wood-burners hated it. 

Get the drift?

We are now at the point where direct sunlight can be converted to energy, and all the previous fuel-people hate it.  And wind.  And tidal energy.  They hate it all.  What became of the wood-burners who stripped the continents of trees?  Even though it is becoming  cheaper and more of it than most people need? 

The candle-makers fought the light bulbs for decades.  Which would you prefer now?  The incandescent bulb makers fought the CFLs and LEDs for years.  Which do you prefer now?  I haven't had a CFL or LED bulb burn out for at least 5 years now.  And I can leave an LED on all day and use less energy than an incandescent in an hour.

Bet there are better things to come soon, too.

Free lunch coming, but you have to be the always screaming girl companion of Dr Who.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on July 06, 2017, 07:32:57 AM
There are no limits to the questions we can ask.  Say ... how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.  Materialists make similar nonsense.  There is a limit to what we can answer, that isn't also nonsense.  Unless you believe in the Omega Point, in which case you are a heretic Catholic theologian.
I've wondered recently whether there might be a limit, albeit very far down the road, to the possibilities inherent in technology. It might be interesting if two techy type species met, out there, some day, who were both at the absolute limit of tech. They might not try to destroy each other. But it's hard to imagine such a scenario.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

AllPurposeAtheist

Gosh! I can't wait for the day when every city once again is blanketed in a thick, black/grey fog of burning coal.
Yeah, I remember when my hometown of Dayton Ohio was once just as filthy as the other coal fired cities.
I remember looking out over the city seeing all those smoke stacks pumping out black clouds.. Ahhh, the good old days.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Unbeliever

Yeah, we have a right to breathe mercury day and night!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

fencerider

unbeliever I am unbelievin your post. I suppose you have to expect that kind of crap from Pat Robertson. what happens when brain-fried people start believing pat the con?

how many angels can fit on the head of a pin? as many as you want.

If Hillary won the coal miners would be in the same place. One of those new coal mines Trump is bragging about is going to automation. 5 times as much coal with 1/10 the number of workers or something like that.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on July 07, 2017, 03:37:14 AM
unbeliever I am unbelievin your post. I suppose you have to expect that kind of crap from Pat Robertson. what happens when brain-fried people start believing pat the con?

how many angels can fit on the head of a pin? as many as you want.

If Hillary won the coal miners would be in the same place. One of those new coal mines Trump is bragging about is going to automation. 5 times as much coal with 1/10 the number of workers or something like that.

More automation in coal mining is good.  A classmate of mine died in an Illinois coal mine, shortly after graduation.  Mines are incredibly dangerous for people.  The stadium where I graduated from HS ... is built over a small coal mine, that closed 100 years ago, after a dozen men died in it ... and remain in it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

Coal is not the way to the future. When was the last time you saw a coal-powered rocket, real or proposed?
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Baruch

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on July 10, 2017, 09:41:22 PM
Coal is not the way to the future. When was the last time you saw a coal-powered rocket, real or proposed?

The future is a return to the Stone Age ... resource exhaustion, pollution, genetic manipulation stupidity ... a bunch of Morlochs you all are.  You aren't even Eloi, because you won't even taste good.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Clean energy just surpassed coal by 2.5 to 1 in terms of jobs...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 11, 2017, 05:56:36 AM
Clean energy just surpassed coal by 2.5 to 1 in terms of jobs...

China is making all our wind power and solar power.  Go China!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.