News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hey!

Started by Sears Poncho, June 28, 2017, 06:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: Sears Poncho on June 28, 2017, 06:18:12 AM
How is everyone? I'm thrilled to be here.

I guess I'm supposed to introduce myself now, so here goes.
I'm a teenage music nerd  with a particular interest in the Grateful Dead, Frank Zappa, Bob Dylan, and the Beatles, but I listen to everything I possibly can. The technology, history, literature, and science behind the art of music make it incredibly fun to immerse oneself in.  I also take the most advanced classes I can, and maintain straight As. Between those pursuits, I don't really have much time for other interests, so that's about all I can think of hobby wise.

On to Athiesm. I live in a Conservative Christian household. I was put in private, Christian schools from Pre Kindergarten all the way through the eighth grade. I'm in a public high school now.  My family has never really gone to church much, but prayer is certainly commonplace in my house, as are religiously oriented discussion. I've been a "closet atheist" since I was in the seventh grade. It was then that I bought myself a smartphone. Using that, I came across folks like Frank Zappa, George Carlin, Bill Hicks, and Penn Jillete. While they didn't convert me with anything they explicitly said, their skeptical attitudes towards things spread to me. It actually took a few months for me to turn my newly formed skeptical eye to religion, but when it did, questions came up that religion is incapable of answering, so I moved on quietly. I'm not resentful of my parents for bringing me up the way they have, because they're doing what they honestly think is best, but in keeping something as important as views on religion to myself I've become intensely reserved, which has impacted me rather negatively socially. I don't really have anyone to talk to about important things, or to ask certain questions now, and I haven't for a few years. I feel like having a place to go like this when I have questions or need certain sorts of guidance will be immensely helpful. Such a desire for council inspired my registration here, so I'll have a thread for that pretty soon here. Thanks tremendously to you all!

I feel for you. I was lucky enough to have come to my senses in my mid-twenties, and I was financially able to leave when my parents tried to force me to go to church. I still have to keep my views hidden for fear of my family cutting me off, but I at least have my space. I can't imagine how hard it would have been if I'd become an atheist in the seventh grade.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Ro3bert

I've been an atheist for so long I've forgotten when I first realized it.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 29, 2017, 05:15:51 PM
Hell, for a time when I was a kid I wanted to be a Bible smuggler - so all those poor Communists in Russia and China could be saved.

I grew up, though.

I was an anti-bible-smuggler, LOL.  I used to have to travel a lot on business and in every hotel there was a Gideon's Bible.  I threw them out of every room I stayed in.  At first, I demanded they not be replaced, but they always were.  So discarding them in the trash away from the hotels became a bit of a hobby.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 03, 2017, 04:47:44 AM
I was an anti-bible-smuggler, LOL.  I used to have to travel a lot on business and in every hotel there was a Gideon's Bible.  I threw them out of every room I stayed in.  At first, I demanded they not be replaced, but they always were.  So discarding them in the trash away from the hotels became a bit of a hobby.

Acting out in a childish way ... and destruction of other people's property ... such a thug you were!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Yeah, that's what I figured.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

"Now Rocky Raccoon he fell back in his room
Only to find Gideon's bible
Gideon checked out and he left it no doubt
To help with good Rocky's revival."
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!