News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Road Rage

Started by Drew_2017, July 02, 2017, 03:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 05, 2017, 10:07:36 AM
I used to work for State Farm, handling auto accident claims. The things people will do is astounding. You can't control for other people's stupidity, but you can drive as to avoid adding to it. That's been my philosophy since high school. Driver's Ed back then was informative.
Way back when, I learned that 10% of all drivers were driving drunk.  I then drove with that in mind; that the idiot driver around me, may be drunk.  And now with texting (don't know the % of that) I am aware that that idiot driver may be drunk and texting. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 05, 2017, 11:35:11 AM
Way back when, I learned that 10% of all drivers were driving drunk.  I then drove with that in mind; that the idiot driver around me, may be drunk.  And now with texting (don't know the % of that) I am aware that that idiot driver may be drunk and texting. 
Back in 2000, before texting really took off, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety reported that people were seven times more likely to be in an accident if they had a cell phone in the car. "In the car" because nobody admitted to being on the phone when an accident happened. Today it's much worse. I know of a man who got shot because he honked his horn after waiting several seconds for the driver ahead to drive on when the light turned green.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

pato15

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 03, 2017, 08:45:52 AM

And if the old fart didn't have a gun in his car he probably wouldn't be in as much trouble right now. Short tempers and easy murder make for a bad day.

If a 28 year old is an old fart, then I'm downright ancient  :eek:
To be is to do - Socrates
To do is to be - Sartre
Do Be Do Be Do - Sinatra

Baruch

Quote from: pato15 on July 05, 2017, 01:23:13 PM

After 25 it is all down hill from there ... but that is OK, since I have no desire to climb up the hill of adolescence again ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

I'm sixteen, so yeah, you are.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 05, 2017, 03:21:12 PM
I'm sixteen, so yeah, you are.

Since you claim many years of Navy service, you must be Benjamin Button ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 05, 2017, 11:42:21 AM
Back in 2000, before texting really took off, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety reported that people were seven times more likely to be in an accident if they had a cell phone in the car. "In the car" because nobody admitted to being on the phone when an accident happened. Today it's much worse. I know of a man who got shot because he honked his horn after waiting several seconds for the driver ahead to drive on when the light turned green.
I've seen several times now while on a freeway a car weaving but mostly within his own lane; passed it and seen a phone in the person's hand.  I hate following cars doing that--but I hate passing them too; except when passed they are less dangerous to me.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 05, 2017, 09:25:42 AM
"Silly" seems to mean anything that you get caught doing.
Well, getting caught is really the only thing that's illegal - or at least the only thing that results in punishment.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

That's about the age when a person's forebrain becomes fully myelinated.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on July 04, 2017, 12:00:13 AM
Because you shouldn't be penalized for driving safely at 75 when there are 18 wheelers doing 90 around you, people swerving inbetween traffic, people who have no awareness, etc. etc. (on country roads).
1,  You can't drive safely at 75 mph on US roads.
2.  If 18 wheelers are driving 90, get out of their way.
3.  If people are swerving around you in traffic, you don't need to match their insanity.
4.  Let there be highway traffic cameras to catch the speeders.  Set the initial fee low but double it at each infraction.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 05, 2017, 11:42:21 AM
Back in 2000, before texting really took off, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety reported that people were seven times more likely to be in an accident if they had a cell phone in the car. "In the car" because nobody admitted to being on the phone when an accident happened.
Most people answer the phone when it rings, even if they are doing something that requires normal concentration.  We have all experienced being cut off in mid sentence because someone's phone rings. A hand goes up signaling for you stop talking, while the other hand reaches for the phone.  People at the dinner table get up to see who is calling on the phone.  I can't think of what demands more immediate attention than a ringing phone.  Certainly not even a fire alarm.  And if a fire alarm does go off, some people have to call someone else just to tell them the fire alarm is going off.  It varies from a highest immediate priority for at least half of the human population to a large percentage that are clinically obsessed with their phones.  Driving a car does not stop people from answering the phone. 

People calling want to chat, but the person answering can become frantic to find out what it is about themselves that is so important that someone needs to call them on a phone: "Oh, this must be important."  Really?  How many phone calls today can be considered important?  It's not surprising people phone and text while they drive.  It's not a matter of being dangerous.  It is a result of loss of self control with their phone.  People have been informed that it's a danger, but it doesn't make any difference, because they become helpless as their urge to phone or text overpowers anything else that demands their full attention.

I know one person who refuses to admit he's doing anything dangerous.  He proudly claims to be "multi-tasking" as if it's an acquired skill, rather than the symptom of a short attention span.  And I'm certain others believe similar nonsense about their special ability to do two things at once.

Shiranu

Quote1,  You can't drive safely at 75 mph on US roads.

I see you have never been to Texas then... you cant drive safely under 75 miles per hour on I-10 or stretches of 35. Or even 123, which I am on the most with a speed limit of 65... if you go that speed, you are severely mismatched with the speed of everyone around you and create a higher risk of an accident happening. And yes, I get that's not my fault if they do hit me... but personally, I rather do what I can to not have a wreck in the first place than have a wreck and it not be my fault that I was severely injured or pushed into oncoming traffic and killing someone.

Quote2.  If 18 wheelers are driving 90, get out of their way.

Hard to do on one lane roads.

(90 is only a slight exaggeration; two days ago I was following an 18 wheeler at 80mph and he was slowly getting further away, so 90 is not too far off. To be fair to the cops, I have seen them pull over one or two 18 wheelers, but it's not enough to deter the rest of them. There are just too many industrial businesses along that stretch and not enough police to enforce the laws on the trucks and the commuters who use it.)
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on July 06, 2017, 05:32:51 AM
Most people answer the phone when it rings, even if they are doing something that requires normal concentration.  We have all experienced being cut off in mid sentence because someone's phone rings. A hand goes up signaling for you stop talking, while the other hand reaches for the phone.  People at the dinner table get up to see who is calling on the phone.  I can't think of what demands more immediate attention than a ringing phone.  Certainly not even a fire alarm.  And if a fire alarm does go off, some people have to call someone else just to tell them the fire alarm is going off.  It varies from a highest immediate priority for at least half of the human population to a large percentage that are clinically obsessed with their phones.  Driving a car does not stop people from answering the phone. 

People calling want to chat, but the person answering can become frantic to find out what it is about themselves that is so important that someone needs to call them on a phone: "Oh, this must be important."  Really?  How many phone calls today can be considered important?  It's not surprising people phone and text while they drive.  It's not a matter of being dangerous.  It is a result of loss of self control with their phone.  People have been informed that it's a danger, but it doesn't make any difference, because they become helpless as their urge to phone or text overpowers anything else that demands their full attention.

I know one person who refuses to admit he's doing anything dangerous.  He proudly claims to be "multi-tasking" as if it's an acquired skill, rather than the symptom of a short attention span.  And I'm certain others believe similar nonsense about their special ability to do two things at once.

I don't answer the phone when it rings.  I don't have a cell phone, but I am at home almost all the time.  There, when the phone rings, I don't answer it.  I have 2 choices.  Check the display to see if there is a voice mail message, or not. 

But I have NoMoRoBo.  If it just rings once, it is a telemarketer and the call is cut off.  If it rings several times, there is a message.  99%n of the time (no joke) it is a pre-recorded message from a previously unkown telemarketer.

I could disconnect my telephone and not miss any calls from friends or family.  They email me. 

I have not had a telephone call for at least 15 years that had to be answered at once.  The last one I had that was important was a hospital that called saying they had my Dad and he could care for himself any more.  And THAT could have been a voice mail message because they were holding him for observation and just found my telephone number in his wallet.

Nothing is really urgent anymore, is it?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on July 06, 2017, 05:32:51 AM

My phone is in my pocket when I'm driving, I can't get at it easily enough to answer a call.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

The best next invention will be a device that creates a field blanking all cellular signals within 20'.  Restaraunts will hand them out for the duration of a visit.  Parents will buy them.  Carpoolers will buy them to prevent the driver from killing them on the way home.  Luxury cars (at first, then mass-market vehicles) will come equipped for driver control.  Then people will walk in shopping malls using them.  Theaters will buy whole-room versions...

More ideas for the uses?