News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Road Rage

Started by Drew_2017, July 02, 2017, 03:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 04, 2017, 09:30:26 AM
Really? "Everybody else does it!" wouldn't work in court.

Not sure where I said I do those things, but alright.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on July 04, 2017, 10:10:34 AM

Interpreting GS ... ignorance of the law is no excuse, neither is the unequal application.  If a hundred cars speed, and the cop pulls just one of them over ... and gives the one a ticket ... the ticket isn't invalidated that the cop failed to pull over the other 99 cars.  But I get Shiranu too ... the lack of application of law, brings the law into disrepute.  Any of these three things ... pisses off judges.  Don't claim ignorance, unfairness ... or scofflaw.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on July 04, 2017, 10:10:34 AM
Paraphrased, but accurate.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 04, 2017, 11:33:54 AM
Paraphrased, but accurate.

Except one causes accidents, the other doesn't (and actively prevents them). A small distinction, but one with a fair bit of importance.

I'm not saying the law should change, I'm just saying the way it is applied is stupid. Maybe give some leniency to people with 75k+ miles driven with not even a fender bender to their name. And I realise complaining about it won't fix anything, but I also realize not complaining about it will do nothing as well.

But when you have gotten a $200 fine for "improper seatbelt use", been pulled over twice where the police specifically told you they were looking for people who look like they would be carrying drugs to the coast... it's just hard to take anything the police say seriously. They aren't out there looking out for my safety, so I have to do that myself. And it's just a little fucked up that I have to worry about getting stopped for doing that, instead of stopping the people who have put my life, and others, in danger at least once or twice a week.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on July 04, 2017, 06:46:53 PM
Except one causes accidents, the other doesn't (and actively prevents them). A small distinction, but one with a fair bit of importance.

I'm not saying the law should change, I'm just saying the way it is applied is stupid. Maybe give some leniency to people with 75k+ miles driven with not even a fender bender to their name. And I realise complaining about it won't fix anything, but I also realize not complaining about it will do nothing as well.

But when you have gotten a $200 fine for "improper seatbelt use", been pulled over twice where the police specifically told you they were looking for people who look like they would be carrying drugs to the coast... it's just hard to take anything the police say seriously. They aren't out there looking out for my safety, so I have to do that myself. And it's just a little fucked up that I have to worry about getting stopped for doing that, instead of stopping the people who have put my life, and others, in danger at least once or twice a week.

Fast trucks ... good for capitalism
Catching suspicious citizens ... tax revenue

You should be getting a car insurance discount for your good driving record
At least the cops who pulled you over didn't tazer or shoot you for fun!

Death and taxes are inevitable ... you have paid your fines, be glad you haven't paid with your life, yet.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

QuoteCatching suspicious citizens ... tax revenue

100%, this is a cops first duty, which is an absolute shame.

QuoteAt least the cops who pulled you over didn't tazer or shoot you for fun!

No, and that's what always scares me. A guy walking at me with his hand on his gun has never made me feel safer.

Baruch

That is your puritanism speaking.  Ever hear of Cato the Younger?  A very principled Roman.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Baruch on July 05, 2017, 02:24:14 AM
That is your puritanism speaking.  Ever hear of Cato the Younger?  A very principled Roman.

I'll admit, the puratian remark is flying over my head, but of course I have heard of Cato. The Stoics who he followed are by far one of the greatest philosophical groups to emerge from Western thinking, even if it's hard to always live up to their principles, as well as some disagreement I have with them over the value of emotion.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on July 05, 2017, 02:42:40 AM
I'll admit, the puratian remark is flying over my head, but of course I have heard of Cato. The Stoics who he followed are by far one of the greatest philosophical groups to emerge from Western thinking, even if it's hard to always live up to their principles, as well as some disagreement I have with them over the value of emotion.

You demand perfection in yourself and others.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Breaking the laws will cost you. I've never had a ticket, except on "over-time parking" ticket. I've been driving since 1966.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 05, 2017, 06:25:34 AM
Breaking the laws will cost you. I've never had a ticket, except on "over-time parking" ticket. I've been driving since 1966.

That's because your mom only let you drive the stationary car ride at the grocery store, and only when she had a spare quarter ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 05, 2017, 06:25:34 AM

And again, it's silly that the law, which should be about protecting the safety and the life of the citizen, should punish you for protecting yourself when it fails. Which is applicable to more than just driving.

I am jealous. Like I said, I have received a $200 ticket, amongst others, for improper seatbelt usage (for medical reasons; I was sunburned to hell from roofing and couldn't rest it on my shoulders). Still had the belt on, just tucked under arm and across chest rather than over shoulder. After that, I simply cannot take driving laws as serious laws but rather a way for the PD to make some spare cash. Especially when I am surrounded by reckless drivers and there is never a cop to be seen to go after them, unless it's the very end of the month and they have to meet their quotas.

Edit: And I had forgotten a speeding ticket I got for "speeding" that was $400... was in the process of decelerating, was literally maybe 2 feet past the "35 mph" sign and going 38 when a motorcycle cop pulls me over. Most rude and asshole of cop I have ever met (even the one's who pulled me over for looking like I was carrying drugs to the coast were super polite, nice guys. Profiling or not, I am cool with them) who either was having a bad day or had to make that quota. Or was just a complete asshole. When people like him are the one's enforcing the law, I take no shame and see nothing wrong with "breaking" it because that's an impossible standard that, again, shows the law is not about protecting it's people but making cash for the state.

Gawdzilla Sama

"Silly" seems to mean anything that you get caught doing.
PZ Myers

SGOS

A driving strategy that observes the law seems to be a workable strategy.  It's not perfect, but it gets you from point A to point B most of the time, and it's easier on the pocketbook.  Disregarding the law while still driving safely is not perfect either, but still gets you from point A to point B most of the time, but it is statistically going to get you more tickets.  You can't control other drivers, and you can't control the cops.  That's an unfortunate reality.  The only thing you have control over is your own driving, and we all drive under those parameters and should understand those parameters.  It shouldn't be more complicated than that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on July 05, 2017, 09:56:35 AM
A driving strategy that observes the law seems to be a workable strategy.  It's not perfect, but it gets you from point A to point B most of the time, and it's easier on the pocketbook.  Disregarding the law while still driving safely is not perfect either, but still gets you from point A to point B most of the time, but it is statistically going to get you more tickets.  You can't control other drivers, and you can't control the cops.  That's an unfortunate reality.  The only thing you have control over is your own driving, and we all drive under those parameters and should understand those parameters.  It shouldn't be more complicated than that.
I used to work for State Farm, handling auto accident claims. The things people will do is astounding. You can't control for other people's stupidity, but you can drive as to avoid adding to it. That's been my philosophy since high school. Driver's Ed back then was informative.
PZ Myers