News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Road Rage

Started by Drew_2017, July 02, 2017, 03:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drew_2017

A Pennsylvania man was arrested Sunday in last week’s killing of a teen during a road rage incident at a merge that authorities said turned into a high speed “cat-and-mouse game.”

David Desper, 28, of Delaware County in Pennsylvania, was charged with first degree murder in the death of 18-year-old Bianca Roberson after turning himself in to police.

He said Desper became enraged Wednesday afternoon as he and the teen, who had just graduated high school, jockeyed for position on a two-lane West Goshen road that merges into one lane.

“This defendant wasn’t happy with the way it was going and pulled out a gun and killed this young woman,” Hogan said.

I don't understand how anyone can become so enraged they make the mental decision to get a gun out of the car and shoot a pretty young lady in the head. He probably didn't consider all the ramifications of his decision at the time nevertheless he had to decide she deserved to die for her offense (perceived or otherwise). Some will blame the easy access to guns but it doesn't matter, in his total rage he could have strangled with his bear hands or run her over. The fact he turned himself in makes me think he was remorseful but now he has to face the fact his former life is officially over. Will he blame himself for being incarcerated or continue to blame his victim? Its entirely possible he believes its her fault...

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Albert Einstein

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jex6k2uvf9aljrq/theism.rtf?dl=0

Baruch

We had a recent poster that was an actual example of this lack of ... sanity.  Myelin.  Nobody here thought he has the right of way, or that his outrage was appropriate, given that he was at fault, not the person angry with him for cutting in (a person on a motorcycle).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

I swear, drivers be getting dumber and dumber by the year. Several times the last two months I have been nearly run off the road or rear-ended because people have no awareness what-so-ever of their surroundings, or worse are in such a hurry to get a second ahead of me that they put me, themselves and someone else in danger rather than waiting till it's clear to zoom by.

Yet when I drive a safe speed to make sure there is a mile or so between me and everyone else, I get pulled over for "driving too fast". Because speeding (and then slowing back down to the speed limit once you are in as big of gap as you can find) is apparently more dangerous (when I have had zero accidents in over 90,000+ miles) than trying to share a lane with someone following the law.

All that said, I have never been mad enough to take it out on someone else, though there has been one time I really wanted to ram my car straight up their ass. I can see where road rage comes from, but really what we just need is for people to learn how the fuck to drive.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

At least on highways, it is difference of speed aka passing, that is most dangerous.  As long as everyone is going the same speed and not passing, then things are fine.  It is never good driving to be in a hurry.  Always leave early relative to when you need to get there, or simply live with being late ... or be Late.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on July 03, 2017, 03:32:22 AM
I swear, drivers be getting dumber and dumber by the year. Several times the last two months I have been nearly run off the road or rear-ended because people have no awareness what-so-ever of their surroundings, or worse are in such a hurry to get a second ahead of me that they put me, themselves and someone else in danger rather than waiting till it's clear to zoom by.

Yet when I drive a safe speed to make sure there is a mile or so between me and everyone else, I get pulled over for "driving too fast". Because speeding (and then slowing back down to the speed limit once you are in as big of gap as you can find) is apparently more dangerous (when I have had zero accidents in over 90,000+ miles) than trying to share a lane with someone following the law.

All that said, I have never been mad enough to take it out on someone else, though there has been one time I really wanted to ram my car straight up their ass. I can see where road rage comes from, but really what we just need is for people to learn how the fuck to drive.

I swear, the road rage is almost enough to keep me from driving drunk.  (j/k)
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

As a matter of (formerly) professional interest I watch the "Russian dash cam" videos on Youtube. Empirically I think that most road ragers start their cars while in a foul mood.

And if the old fart didn't have a gun in his car he probably wouldn't be in as much trouble right now. Short tempers and easy murder make for a bad day.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on July 03, 2017, 03:32:22 AM

But you admit to speeding.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

A few decades ago, there was a spot on the commute where 6 lanes of traffic had to merge into 2 lanes to cross a narrow bridge.  Naturally tempers were routinely frayed.  I tried to take turns merging when some van insisted on following the car in front of them.  I stopped moving to let the idiot go past.

But she, not realizing I had stopped to let her push in line, brushed against MY side mirror, scratching her car.  And she tried to make a collision claim against ME for the damage. 

Fortunately, the paint scrape proved she was moving forward while I was not (well unless I was backing up, which was not possible).  And she chased me down the road on foot screaming and yelling after seeing her paint was scraped.

The world is full of very disturbed people.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 03, 2017, 08:47:02 AM

In modern politics, is Shiranu guilty of terrorism or a hate crime?  If he has thought about road rage, but hasn't done it, is he still guilty of a thought crime?  What would the lead character from Minority Report say?  Puritans wanna know.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 03, 2017, 08:47:02 AM

I admit to driving more safely than my peers, yes.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on July 03, 2017, 02:31:32 PM
I admit to driving more safely than my peers, yes.
If you were speeding why are you complaining about getting a ticket?
PZ Myers

Drew_2017

When I posted this I was thinking more about the rage that caused this guy to act so horrifically cruel. Did he think for even a moment that this act would mean his life as he knew it is over? I wonder about his state of mind after he committed this heinous act? How long before he came to his senses and realized what a devastating decision he made? I suspect when the rage subsided (probably in 15 minutes) fear and guilt set in.

7 ways to avoid road rage:
Move over if someone is tailgating you
Use an “I’m sorry” gesture (e.g. wave) to attempt to defuse the situation
Plan ahead; allow time for delays during your journey
Consider whether you’ve done something to annoy the other driver and adjust your driving accordingly
Listen to music you enjoy
Use your horn sparingly
Avoid eye contact with angry drivers and give them plenty of room

Leave your gun in the glove compartment.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Albert Einstein

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jex6k2uvf9aljrq/theism.rtf?dl=0

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 03, 2017, 04:58:51 PM
If you were speeding why are you complaining about getting a ticket?

Because you shouldn't be penalized for driving safely at 75 when there are 18 wheelers doing 90 around you, people swerving inbetween traffic, people who have no awareness, etc. etc. (on country roads).

It's not just that; it's getting tickets, when I know person after person who gets pulled over with no punishment, who have been in wrecks before, who have driven tens of thousands of miles less than me.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on July 04, 2017, 12:00:13 AM
Because you shouldn't be penalized for driving safely at 75 when there are 18 wheelers doing 90 around you, people swerving inbetween traffic, people who have no awareness, etc. etc. (on country roads).

It's not just that; it's getting tickets, when I know person after person who gets pulled over with no punishment, who have been in wrecks before, who have driven tens of thousands of miles less than me.

So life is unfair ... and the law is an ass?  Welcome to adulthood!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on July 04, 2017, 12:00:13 AM

Really? "Everybody else does it!" wouldn't work in court.
PZ Myers