Muslims Attacked With Acid, Product of Alt-Right Fearmongering

Started by Shiranu, July 02, 2017, 12:38:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/30/acid-attack-victim-says-he-and-cousin-targeted-because-they-are-muslim-beckton-london

QuoteAn unprovoked acid attack on two Muslim cousins in east London is now being treated by police as a hate crime.

Jameel Muhktar and Resham Khan were attacked while sitting in a car at traffic lights in Beckton on the morning of 21 June while out celebrating Khan’s 21st birthday.
Both suffered severe burns to the face and body and Muhktar was initially placed in an induced coma. The Metropolitan police named the suspected attacker as John Tomlin, 24, but initially ruled out a religious or racial motive for the crime. However, the Met said on Friday night that new evidence had come to light, prompting them to investigate the assault as a hate crime.
Mukhtar, 37, said that if the roles had been reversed and an Asian man had attacked an English couple with acid, “the whole country knows it would be classed as a terror attack”. He described the constant pain he was experiencing as like “somebody’s ironing me 24/7” and said he was an emotional wreck.
Mukhtar said that when a man knocked on the car window, at around 9.15am on 21 June, and sprayed the substance, he thought it was a practical joke. But he then noticed that his cousin was burning, and started to feel his clothes and trainers melting on to his body.

In terror, he tried to drive off, but, temporarily blinded and in pain, he crashed. Screaming, the pair stripped off and pleaded with local residents for water before being driven to a local hospital.
“When I went to the hospital, they had to jet-wash me with water to get the acid off,” said Mukhtar. “It was excruciating pain. I was screaming like a baby. I’m petrified. I don’t know what’s going to happen. I’m going to be scarred for life. I’m emotionally wrecked. I’m in continuous pain.”
Khan, who is from Manchester, said she had had skin grafts and was wondering whether her life would ever be the same. The 21-year-old had come to London to visit a spa and go for a meal to celebrate her birthday, having just returned from a student exchange year in Cyprus. She has criticised the emergency services’ response, claiming that the ambulance took too long to arrive and police waited days after the attack before taking a statement from her.
In a Facebook post on Friday, aspiring model Khan said she did not want the attack to “fuel a division among people”. “At a time when all I am being sent is positivity and love, please don’t let this man anger you or categorise others,” she wrote. “Regardless of whatever was going on in his head during his cruel and vicious attack, I really don’t want this to help fuel a division among people.
“From a large majority, there will always be a sick and twisted minority. Stop tearing each other down, stop arguing religion and politics. Make peace with each other and the world. Letting this man or the events of the past fill you up with hate will only darken the soul.”

It's hard not to be angry, but I will try to take Khan's advice; it doesn't have anything to do with politics or religion. It's hatred. The ideology that Tomlin, the attacker, follows doesn't have shit to do with the far-right, even though they promote it and share it; left-leaning people fall for this bullshit as well.

I wasn't attacked, I don't know them, and I am angry and tired of this bullshit being excused because they are "scary others". The strength of her character is unbelievable. But I do feel this...
The hateful ideology that drove this man to attack to innocent people in a car, who were celebrating a birthday, because of their religion and their skin colour has to be condemned and acknowledged as the extremist shit it is. And if you look at his quotes on twitter, they are nearly identical to the rhetoric pr spews, and several posters actively defend. He followed bullshit pages like Jihadwatch and supported politicians that have been consistently linked here as "news" instead of having the community call it what it is; radicalizing lies. He talks about the death of England, how it is on the verge of collapse to the Muslims, the exact same rhetoric that has been spewed here for years.
Forget pr, forget the people who defend him; as a community, is this what we want to stand for? I see people more and more calling him on shit, but it's still only a few. Are we really comfortable as a group saying nothing while propaganda and lies are posted that have been proven to radicalise extremists into acts of terrorism like this?

Frankly, I find myself torn between two worlds; do I stay and continue to combat it when it pops up? When I have done so, I was eventually told it was "annoying"; like pointing out bigotry used to kill people in the real world is such an inconvenience to have to read, that it's worse to have to see a post on a screen by your own choice, that you can easily ignore, of someone to speak out against radicalism that is literally killing people in the real world than the person sharing this bigotry. Or do I leave, because I no longer feel comfortable in a group that doesn't find it completely and utterly sickening to have someone promoting a violent, deadly ideology in their midst, and let him speak whatever he wants, when he wants, with little to no opposition?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Acid?  Usually that is Pakistani fundies attacking little girls ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Baruch on July 02, 2017, 12:47:16 AM
Acid?  Usually that is Pakistani fundies attacking little girls ;-(

Acid attacks in London and the UK are rising, thanks to the fact it is easier to get than a gun or a long-blade knife and carries with it reduced sentences than those. Not the first time white Brits have stolen from brown people (joking).
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Atheon

But but but I thought only Muslims could be terrorists. That's what Focks Nooz tells me.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Baruch

To the Elite, everyone else is a slave, and a potential terrorist ... just ask Wat Tyler.  The monarchy must be maintained at all cost (Luther said "kill all the damn peasants").
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

It is terrorism.  Murder is just death, but disfigurement lasts a lifetime.  An acid attack is completely for the lasting effect.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!