News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Predestination: A Time Travel Movie

Started by SGOS, July 01, 2017, 10:42:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on July 03, 2017, 06:02:48 AM
Maybe not quite everything, but when I notice a movie giving credits to a book, my expectations go up.  To a smaller degree, that also applies to "Based on actual events," although that often signals something sappy or patriotic.  If a movie is based on a book, I assume it is to capitalize on some degree of broad based acclaim, and wasn't cobbled together by some Director who just wanted to make a movie.  "Based on a book," doesn't guarantee the movie will be any good, however, because Directors can be known to turn something good into something dull and uninteresting, but an interesting book is a good place to start.

"Amityville" movies are "based on true events". Same with "The Conjuring".
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 03, 2017, 07:56:47 AM
"Amityville" movies are "based on true events". Same with "The Conjuring".
Maybe I need to rethink that last post.

Baruch

People like to tell, and hear stories, with varying amounts of verisimilitude.  The original history (Herodotus) was both propaganda and entertainment.  A meme.  And still a powerful one ... it is part of the basis for Western civilization.

So yea, a movie based on real events?  You are being trolled by the marketing.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 01, 2017, 10:43:40 AM
It's based on Heinlein's "All You Zombies" short story. That one, and "By His Bootstraps" blew my mind back in 1963.
"All You Zombies" is about the only Heinlein story I ever liked.  Otherwise he leaves me flat.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on July 03, 2017, 06:02:48 AM
Maybe not quite everything, but when I notice a movie giving credits to a book, my expectations go up.  To a smaller degree, that also applies to "Based on actual events," although that often signals something sappy or patriotic.  If a movie is based on a book, I assume it is to capitalize on some degree of broad based acclaim, and wasn't cobbled together by some Director who just wanted to make a movie.  "Based on a book," doesn't guarantee the movie will be any good, however, because Directors can be known to turn something good into something dull and uninteresting, but an interesting book is a good place to start.

Actually, that is a pretty good reason.  A book has to tell a story without pictures, so there is more internal dialogue.    Which is easy to translate into a script.

A bit convoluted, but when the movie '2001' came to the university theater, I had read the book first (based on the movie).  So at least I had some idea what was going on toward the end.  My friends thought I was a movie genius...

"Well, sure, man, the baby represents the self-image of the monolith-advanced David Bowman, obviously; come to remake the Earth"...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on July 06, 2017, 11:48:36 AM
Actually, that is a pretty good reason.  A book has to tell a story without pictures, so there is more internal dialogue.    Which is easy to translate into a script.

A bit convoluted, but when the movie '2001' came to the university theater, I had read the book first (based on the movie).  So at least I had some idea what was going on toward the end.  My friends thought I was a movie genius...

"Well, sure, man, the baby represents the self-image of the monolith-advanced David Bowman, obviously; come to remake the Earth"...
Yeah, I remember inquiring about that too.  I can't remember the explanation.  I just remember that it didn't make any sense to me.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on July 06, 2017, 12:07:16 PM
Yeah, I remember inquiring about that too.  I can't remember the explanation.  I just remember that it didn't make any sense to me.

Well, watching 2001 in 1970, we were all stoned anyway.  Nothing HAD to make any sense.

But OMG even better was the Night on Bald Mountain sequence of Fantasia WICKEDLY GREAT!!!

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on July 06, 2017, 12:07:16 PM
My dad took me to see it in its original theatrical run, in Cinerama.  I was four.  I loved it.  I will not pretend I understood it, but I loved it.  :)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on July 06, 2017, 10:43:50 AM
"All You Zombies" is about the only Heinlein story I ever liked.  Otherwise he leaves me flat.
Cool. There are authors I'm uninlovewith. But have you read "By His Bootstraps"?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on July 06, 2017, 12:19:13 PM
Well, watching 2001 in 1970, we were all stoned anyway.  Nothing HAD to make any sense.

But OMG even better was the Night on Bald Mountain sequence of Fantasia WICKEDLY GREAT!!!
They had to put that in the movie to "balance" the dinosaur sequence.
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on July 06, 2017, 11:48:36 AM

People have told me that the movie "left out the part where the baby explodes all the nukes on Earth at once."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 06, 2017, 12:28:37 PM
They had to put that in the movie to "balance" the dinosaur sequence.

I remember reading how the illustrators of the other sequences saw the first cut of Night on Bald Mountain and went back to the drawing boards humiliated and in awe...

And BTW, I have the Fantasia tape version with the "naked" centaurgirls!  AND one still in the original wrapper.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on July 06, 2017, 12:36:59 PM
I remember reading how the illustrators of the other sequences saw the first cut of Night on Bald Mountain and went back to the drawing boards humiliated and in awe...

And BTW, I have the Fantasia tape version with the "naked" centaurgirls!  AND one still in the original wrapper.
This "tape" you speak of...
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on July 06, 2017, 12:19:13 PM
I remember that.  I knew nothing about the movie.  Never even knew what was playing at the theater that night, but a friend dragged me to it.  He said we have to smoke a couple doobies first.  I didn't have a problem with that, so we got stoned and went.  The movie blew my mind.  It probably would have blown my mind without the doobie.  Well, I think it would have.  But who would know... or care at that point?

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 06, 2017, 12:27:44 PM
Cool. There are authors I'm uninlovewith. But have you read "By His Bootstraps"?
Can't say I have, no.  I have gone through 'And He Built A Crooked House', which failed to live up to its hype, and had similar reactions to other shorts ("The Green Hills of Earth", "The Roads Must Roll"...)

Of the Big Three, I have always preferred Asimov and Clarke.