News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Fun bugs from hell

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, June 29, 2017, 01:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Yesterday in my shop a 5-6 cm long hornet appeared in the window in the shop so to preserve life (mine in particular) I doused it with Raid, but it took this sucker about 8 hours to finally die.
Here's some video.
https://youtu.be/lrhzjPfAPIQ
And close up shots of its dead carcass..

Needless to say that if I happen to run across the nest from whence it came I'm getting the fuck away from it AS QUICK AS POSSIBLE..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Unbeliever

I once put rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and killed wasps almost instantly. Raid sucks, if it takes that long for something to die. Just prolongs its suffering.

At least you didn't encounter one (or more) of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDSf3Kshq1M
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

AllPurposeAtheist

Yeah,  read about those suckers. If you get stung by one you absolutely must get to a hospital or you will die from kidney failure or pain whichever comes first..  Raid is the next best thing to insect fertilizer, but it's what I had handy at the time. I wasn't about to run around the house looking for a spray bottle and some alcohol. 
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Baruch

Using a flame thrower tends to get the rest of the house on fire!

Definitely say no to hornets.  They are aggressive bastards.  And I have been stung.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

You don't hand-feed your hornets?

Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on June 29, 2017, 09:15:01 PM
Yeah,  read about those suckers. If you get stung by one you absolutely must get to a hospital or you will die from kidney failure or pain whichever comes first..  Raid is the next best thing to insect fertilizer, but it's what I had handy at the time. I wasn't about to run around the house looking for a spray bottle and some alcohol. 
Bleach works too. I used to carry a spray bottle of bleach when I was delivering newspapers back in the '60s. Great for deterring aggressive dogs. (And their owners.)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

I have a friend who uses a shotgun on hornet's nests.  So far he hasn't been stung, and he claims it's highly effective.  I'm not convinced, however.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on July 01, 2017, 08:19:47 AM
I have a friend who uses a shotgun on hornet's nests.  So far he hasn't been stung, and he claims it's highly effective.  I'm not convinced, however.
Sounds like a viral youtube waiting to happen.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 01, 2017, 08:23:03 AM
Sounds like a viral youtube waiting to happen.
I wouldn't mind watching, just to get an idea about it's effectiveness.  But if the video is just a guy shooting a hornets nest and not being attacked, it wouldn't be interesting enough to go viral.

SGOS

It doesn't seem that long ago when U-Tube was all about confused cats falling off the table and puppies licking an infant's face making him laugh like he's the victim of a tickle attack.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on July 01, 2017, 08:19:47 AM

I would use one of those new-fangled personal flame-throwers.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

How about one of those super soaker squirt guns filled with concentrated sulfuric acid?

SGOS

SGOS

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on July 01, 2017, 09:40:58 AM
Call in an airstrike?

Only if you are Jared Kushner, son-in-law of the Trump
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.