Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

With such small odds, there's no need to worry.

Gawdzilla Sama

The monster-shouters love this kind of shit.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 29, 2017, 09:47:18 AM
The monster-shouters love this kind of shit.
Sometimes, I have to carefully separate your words from the avatar you use that I love.  I wonder how often avatars affect us?  It is oftentimes too easy to agree with what someone says based on the avatar they display.

Who hates Calvin?  Or a cavebear?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Atheon

Maybe it will wipe out the Red States.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on June 29, 2017, 10:15:41 AM
Sometimes, I have to carefully separate your words from the avatar you use that I love.  I wonder how often avatars affect us?  It is oftentimes too easy to agree with what someone says based on the avatar they display.

Nobody hates Calvin.  A cavebear---a caveman????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on June 29, 2017, 10:15:41 AM

I like short-faced cavebears. They had a life-sized model of one at the Missouri Historical Society. He was challenging a mastodon. We may never know who won that one.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 29, 2017, 11:17:21 AM
I like short-faced cavebears. They had a life-sized model of one at the Missouri Historical Society. He was challenging a mastodon. We may never know who won that one.

And when I go to bed late today, I will be re-reading the Calvin collection of the baby-sitter and the dadisms.  But please give me a break from the moving avatar?

Unbeliever

Any of y'all ever seen this movie? I don't know just how realistic it is, but it was an interesting attempt at portraying what it would be like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFaFfdOzPP8
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

There were two movies on this theme, around that time.  This is the best one.  Yes, it is realistic.  How about the end of much of agriculture in N America for 100 years?  You can't farm thru three feet of volcanic ash, then all the acid rain, all the stratospheric dust causing a "non-nuclear winter".  The last eruption like this, is probably what got the last Ice Ages started.  But it isn't a complete loss .. saber tooth cats for everyone!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

QuoteThe last volcanic eruption within the caldera was 70,000 years ago. For magma to reach the surface, a new vent needs to be created, which requires a lot of intense geological activity.

I know this is from an expert and all, but predicting volcanoes is not high on the list of scientific advancements.  Mankind may even be extinct before the next time Yellowstone explodes.  But when she goes, a good place to watch it from, if man is still around, would be the moon.

But the Wyoming Chamber of Commerce is still advertising Yellowstone as an ideal weekend for the family.  They downplay the risk factor by claiming that when Yellowstone goes, they're taking the rest of the planet with them, so you might as well be in Yellowstone when it happens.  Don't feed the bears, though.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on June 30, 2017, 12:58:31 PM
I know this is from an expert and all, but predicting volcanoes is not high on the list of scientific advancements.  Mankind may even be extinct before the next time Yellowstone explodes.  But when she goes, a good place to watch it from, if man is still around, would be the moon.

But the Wyoming Chamber of Commerce is still advertising Yellowstone as an ideal weekend for the family.  They downplay the risk factor by claiming that when Yellowstone goes, they're taking the rest of the planet with them, so you might as well be in Yellowstone when it happens.  Don't feed the bears, though.

The last supervolcano eruption at Yellowstone was about 630,000 years ago.  Not 70,000.  The poster may be thinking of the Toba super eruption which did occur about 70.000 years ago at Sumatra.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 03, 2017, 08:18:16 AM
The last supervolcano eruption at Yellowstone was about 630,000 years ago.  Not 70,000.  The poster may be thinking of the Toba super eruption which did occur about 70.000 years ago at Sumatra.

Correct, that is even bigger, but similar in type ... disrupted the ecology enough to kill off most hominids (Neanderthals in Europe were far enough away to survive ... all modern humans who had left Africa before that, died.  The tiger lives very close, and the genetic bottleneck evidence is that only a very few mating pairs of tigers survived ... they are very inbred.  Perhaps only 70,000 modern humans survived, in Africa.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.