News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hey!

Started by Sears Poncho, June 28, 2017, 06:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sears Poncho

How is everyone? I'm thrilled to be here.

I guess I'm supposed to introduce myself now, so here goes.
I'm a teenage music nerd  with a particular interest in the Grateful Dead, Frank Zappa, Bob Dylan, and the Beatles, but I listen to everything I possibly can. The technology, history, literature, and science behind the art of music make it incredibly fun to immerse oneself in.  I also take the most advanced classes I can, and maintain straight As. Between those pursuits, I don't really have much time for other interests, so that's about all I can think of hobby wise.

On to Athiesm. I live in a Conservative Christian household. I was put in private, Christian schools from Pre Kindergarten all the way through the eighth grade. I'm in a public high school now.  My family has never really gone to church much, but prayer is certainly commonplace in my house, as are religiously oriented discussion. I've been a "closet atheist" since I was in the seventh grade. It was then that I bought myself a smartphone. Using that, I came across folks like Frank Zappa, George Carlin, Bill Hicks, and Penn Jillete. While they didn't convert me with anything they explicitly said, their skeptical attitudes towards things spread to me. It actually took a few months for me to turn my newly formed skeptical eye to religion, but when it did, questions came up that religion is incapable of answering, so I moved on quietly. I'm not resentful of my parents for bringing me up the way they have, because they're doing what they honestly think is best, but in keeping something as important as views on religion to myself I've become intensely reserved, which has impacted me rather negatively socially. I don't really have anyone to talk to about important things, or to ask certain questions now, and I haven't for a few years. I feel like having a place to go like this when I have questions or need certain sorts of guidance will be immensely helpful. Such a desire for council inspired my registration here, so I'll have a thread for that pretty soon here. Thanks tremendously to you all!

Baruch

Welcome.  Many here have had your experience.  Being home schooled in a strictly religious way ... is not unlike being a PK (Preacher's Kid).  Your burn out is understandable.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

Welcome to the house. Hope you enjoy it.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

PickelledEggs

"is that a real poncho? Or a sears poncho?"

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

PickelledEggs

Nice "Cosmic Debris" reference

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

trdsf

Quote from: Sears Poncho on June 28, 2017, 06:18:12 AM
I'm a teenage music nerd  with a particular interest in the Grateful Dead, Frank Zappa, Bob Dylan, and the Beatles, but I listen to everything I possibly can.
That's settled, we're keeping you.  This old Deadhead and Zappa-tista has spoken.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

Until Steppenwolf or Iron Butterfly is mentioned, I'm not so sure. 

Or the Ventures or Herb Alpert or Sly and the Family Stone or Jefferson Airplane (White Rabbit to you all!) or Pink Floyd or the Moody Blues or Kitaro (nobody likes him but me) or .......I could go on but nobody would care or listen to them, anyway. :)
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

trdsf

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 28, 2017, 03:02:25 PM
Until Steppenwolf or Iron Butterfly is mentioned, I'm not so sure. 

Or the Ventures or Herb Alpert or Sly and the Family Stone or Jefferson Airplane (White Rabbit to you all!) or Pink Floyd or the Moody Blues or Kitaro (nobody likes him but me) or .......I could go on but nobody would care or listen to them, anyway. :)
I'm on board with most of those, including Kitaro (pointing out that he worked with the Dead's drummer Mickey Hart and frequent Garcia collaborator David Grisman on the album The Light of the Spirit).  Sly and the Family Stone always left me kinda flat, but I don't actively dislike them.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

Oh, Poncho! Oh Cisco!

Oh, wait - wrong Poncho...

I hope you can find some relief from your rational isolation here. We've encountered a lot of people who have similar troubles. Jesus did (allegedly) say that a man's enemies would be those of his own household. He was sure right about that!

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on June 28, 2017, 03:36:26 PM
I'm on board with most of those, including Kitaro (pointing out that he worked with the Dead's drummer Mickey Hart and frequent Garcia collaborator David Grisman on the album The Light of the Spirit).  Sly and the Family Stone always left me kinda flat, but I don't actively dislike them.
Did not know that about Kitaro.  He has risen a notch in my estimation. Thanks for the info.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hakurei Reimu

Yay! A new guy! Enjoy your insanitystay!
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Mr.Obvious

Welcome to our little band of heathens.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cavebear

7th grade is about when I first realized I was a atheist (but didn't know any others existed).
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

Hell, for a time when I was a kid I wanted to be a Bible smuggler - so all those poor Communists in Russia and China could be saved.

I grew up, though.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 29, 2017, 05:15:51 PM
Hell, for a time when I was a kid I wanted to be a Bible smuggler - so all those poor Communists in Russia and China could be saved.

I grew up, though.

Modesty says ... those Russians and Chinese are just fine as they are ... if they want your help, they will ask.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.