US Congress passes resolution condemning anti-gay purge in Chechnya

Started by Munch, June 28, 2017, 05:56:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/06/28/us-congress-passes-resolution-condemning-anti-gay-purge-in-chechnya/

QuoteUS Congress has passed a resolution which condemns an anti-gay purge in Chechnya.
Months of reports have claimed that as many as 100 gay men have been rounded up and put in prisons in the nation.
The bipartisan motion, House Resolution 351, was introduced on 23 May by Representative Ileana Ros-Lehtinen.
The Republican is also part of the House LGBT Equality Caucus.
It calls on Russia to investigate the anti-gay purge in Chechnya and to put a stop to the violence.
The resolution also asks the US government to “demand the release of individuals wrongly detained.”
Speaking after the resolution was passed, Ros-Lehtinen said: “We will continue to stand united with the LGBT community and shine a bright light on these atrocities, which are encouraged by the evil Putin regime in Russia, in order to help ensure that those who are responsible for these crimes are held to account for their despicable actions.”
Another LGBT Caucus member, Representative David Cicilline added: “I’m proud that the House passed this strong resolution condemning the recent violence targeting gay men in Chechnya. Now, it’s critical that we do more to ensure those fleeing horrific violence can relocate somewhere safe.
“This is an important step, but there is much more work left to be done.”
The ‘concentration camps’ were reportedly set up in February 2017, with gay men being abducted, held prisoner and tortured there.
It’s said that police found contact information for several gay men on the phone of a Chechen man who had been stopped for an alleged drugs offence.
Kadyrov’s press secretary Alvi Karimov, dismissed the report as “absolute lies”, but followed that up with a bizarre claim that there are no gay people in Chechnya and added the chilling message: “If there were such people in Chechnya, law-enforcement agencies wouldn’t need to have anything to do with them because their relatives would send them somewhere from which there is no returning.”
An activist stands naked wrapped in a rainbow flag (John MacDougall/AFP/Getty Images)
It later emerged that some families were doing just that â€" killing the gay members of their families themselves. In one shocking report, a teenager was pushed to his death from a ninth-floor balcony by an uncle after he was outed.
State Duma Deputy of Chechnya Magomed Selimkhanov added: “In Chechnya, there are no gays, so there is no attitude toward them. Personally, I think that they belong two metres under the ground.”
Two camps were initially reported on, based in the villages of Argun and Tsotsi-Yurt, but further investigations revealed a further four jails for gay people, bringing the total number believed to be in the Chechen Republic up to six.
One was later destroyed and moved to a new location.

First thing to get this out the way, a republican pushed for this to get rolling.

As for this, its a step, it feels like this crisis in Chechnya has been heavily ignored, I'm glad people with some level of power is taking steps, just remains to be seen if something comes of it.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Atheon

Surprising that a Republican majority Congress will do so. It must be motivated by their Islamophobia, rather than their compassion for gay people.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 28, 2017, 07:18:42 AM
Wait! The Congress is anti-anti-gay?
Only when it's convenient.  I'm sure they'd cheerily pass a comparable resolution about Iran, and fail to pass an identical one about Saudi Arabia.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

You know what would be funny?  Make Congress pass bills not knowing WHO the bill actually referred to.

Oh, wait...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

pr126

Chechnya as far as I know is run by devout Muslims. Does the congress know that?

But what about Iran where the state hangs gays? Or any of the other Muslim countries?
The "Palestinian People" who throw them off the roofs of high buildings? And stone them?

Does the congress care about them too?
Enquiring minds would like to know.

Hijiri Byakuren

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

The libtards will be confused .. support the Muslims as an oppressed minority (at least on planetary basis if not locally), or support the gays that the Muslims kill.  Do gay Muslims have to throw themselves off roofs?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on July 11, 2017, 01:08:30 PM
The libtards will be confused .. support the Muslims as an oppressed minority (at least on planetary basis if not locally), or support the gays that the Muslims kill.  Do gay Muslims have to throw themselves off roofs?

They have loopholes for such things, only group A is bad while group B is good.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on July 11, 2017, 01:18:10 PM
They have loopholes for such things, only group A is bad while group B is good.

Don't be a shit ... I mean Shi'ite ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Politics makes strange bedfellows.  Just consider Macron in bed with Merkel?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.