News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hi...newbie here

Started by Jane Plain, June 27, 2017, 10:40:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 06, 2017, 08:59:23 AM
I had similar experience.  I loved D-Day & Gettsburg, and the one guy I played with moved away when I was a junior in HS.  As a young adult I subscribed to a mag called S & T (Strategy and Tactics) which came out 6 times a year.  It contained a game each issue.  Still couldn't find a game partner but loved the mag; it's still around I think, but sans the game.  And I, too, would love to run across a club in which people liked to play those types of games.

There are game sites (Pogo.com for example) that offer games.  I'm a member.  But too many of the games are either dumbed down a bit or sped up so there isn't time to think much.  I play some Risk there, but the players are leaving for newer games so I end up with bots too often.  I lose a game of Risk to a bot about 5% of the time (unlucky dice), and the Scrabble bot seems designed to let me barely win most every game. 

I miss a real challenge.  Bots aren't people you can see eye to eye.  Well, when there are people playing you can't see, at least you can detect their strategies and learn to adjust. 

Have you ever tried to play both sides of Gettysburg and ignore what you know about your other side?  It ain't easy.   And you have to clamp a box over the game so that the cats don't "make their own moves".  LOL!

I tried locking down a game for a week, but I couldn't forget my own strategies...

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Jane --

You can see that digressions are the norm around here.  Welcome again.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on July 06, 2017, 09:17:56 AM
There are game sites (Pogo.com for example) that offer games.  I'm a member.  But too many of the games are either dumbed down a bit or sped up so there isn't time to think much.  I play some Risk there, but the players are leaving for newer games so I end up with bots too often.  I lose a game of Risk to a bot about 5% of the time (unlucky dice), and the Scrabble bot seems designed to let me barely win most every game. 

I miss a real challenge.  Bots aren't people you can see eye to eye.  Well, when there are people playing you can't see, at least you can detect their strategies and learn to adjust. 

Have you ever tried to play both sides of Gettysburg and ignore what you know about your other side?  It ain't easy.   And you have to clamp a box over the game so that the cats don't "make their own moves".  LOL!

I tried locking down a game for a week, but I couldn't forget my own strategies...
In my younger days I often played my AH war/strategy games solo.  But like you I could not forget my own strategy, so that was not terrible successful.  That's why I love RPG on the computer--and only solo.  The AI's are generally pretty good.  But I do miss playing against a real live person sitting across from me.  As an adult I've had some success playing scrabble with my wife and friends.  I also play it solo on my computer.  Went thru a phase of playing Robber Barron, a railroad building game, then my partner moved away.  Gettysburg was fun to solo because of the set schedule of reinforcements coming in.  And D-Day, because the Germans were given a set number of units but allowed to set them up anyway they wanted.  Then the Allies could pick the spot to attack--so I tested many different German setups solo.  Have you seen the relatively new (80's I think) AH solo war game called Ambush?  It is fun since it was designed as a solo game--and it had some new add-ons as well. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 06, 2017, 09:47:36 AM
In my younger days I often played my AH war/strategy games solo.  But like you I could not forget my own strategy, so that was not terrible successful.  That's why I love RPG on the computer--and only solo.  The AI's are generally pretty good.  But I do miss playing against a real live person sitting across from me.  As an adult I've had some success playing scrabble with my wife and friends.  I also play it solo on my computer.  Went thru a phase of playing Robber Barron, a railroad building game, then my partner moved away.  Gettysburg was fun to solo because of the set schedule of reinforcements coming in.  And D-Day, because the Germans were given a set number of units but allowed to set them up anyway they wanted.  Then the Allies could pick the spot to attack--so I tested many different German setups solo.  Have you seen the relatively new (80's I think) AH solo war game called Ambush?  It is fun since it was designed as a solo game--and it had some new add-ons as well.

In Gettysburg I used the hidden feature of some units alot and that was kind of hard to forget.  Never played Ambush. 

Have you ever played CivII on Windows?  I'm on a Apple here and the CivII is on a Windows computer.  It is so addictive to me I played it 3 full days the first time and I finally had to unplug the Windows computer recently.  Its harder to give up than THIS place!

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 06, 2017, 08:59:23 AM
I had similar experience.  I loved D-Day & Gettsburg, and the one guy I played with moved away when I was a junior in HS.  As a young adult I subscribed to a mag called S & T (Strategy and Tactics) which came out 6 times a year.  It contained a game each issue.  Still couldn't find a game partner but loved the mag; it's still around I think, but sans the game.  And I, too, would love to run across a club in which people liked to play those types of games.

S&T and its sister mag World at War ... that brings back memories from the 70s.  They are still out there you retro you ...

http://strategyandtacticsmagazine.com/site/
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on July 06, 2017, 12:24:44 PM
In Gettysburg I used the hidden feature of some units alot and that was kind of hard to forget.  Never played Ambush. 

Have you ever played CivII on Windows?  I'm on a Apple here and the CivII is on a Windows computer.  It is so addictive to me I played it 3 full days the first time and I finally had to unplug the Windows computer recently.  Its harder to give up than THIS place!
I have and always have had, a windows computer--better games.  Anyway, I loved the crap out of that game!  Played CivII for hundreds of hours!  And Civ III, IV (not so much) and V are highly addictive.  I am almost afraid to download Civ VI for fear that I will put several hundred into that one, too. :))  I would imagine that Ambush would not be that expensive if you were interested in trying it. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 06, 2017, 09:17:56 AM

I still play the older version of Rome Total War.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on July 06, 2017, 01:13:25 PM
S&T and its sister mag World at War ... that brings back memories from the 70s.  They are still out there you retro you ...

http://strategyandtacticsmagazine.com/site/
Yeah, I still have a stack (4 ft. maybe) of old S & T's, some of which still have unpunched unit boards for the games.  They go back to the mid 70's.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 06, 2017, 01:14:14 PM
I have and always have had, a windows computer--better games.  Anyway, I loved the crap out of that game!  Played CivII for hundreds of hours!  And Civ III, IV (not so much) and V are highly addictive.  I am almost afraid to download Civ VI for fear that I will put several hundred into that one, too. :))  I would imagine that Ambush would not be that expensive if you were interested in trying it.

I tried Civ III and hated it and it kind of threw me off the newer ones.  The Civ III computer was always picking off perfectly stable cities with its "Sphere of Influence" and I got really pissed.  Never tried the others.  I've played some of the scenarios.  I liked WWII best as the Soviets.  I got quite skilled at building roads and RRs to get the Eastern units to the front, and then blitzing the Germans back with fighters and bombers.

I played the Multiplayer CivII version for a few years.  Quite fascinating to play against other real people.  Some of them were bizarrely good.  I suspect some of them were actually professional war game military types.  One even perfected a Single City winning strategy and could either go to Alpha Centauri of kill the opposing civs from it.  Others competed for fasted landing on Alpha Centauri.  The best I could contribute was a table of the possible Spaceship configurations and their travel times. 

If I ever suddenly disappear for months, I'm not dead, just playing Civ II again...