News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hi...newbie here

Started by Jane Plain, June 27, 2017, 10:40:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Fastest game of chess I never won...

BTW, you mentioned "You Sunk My Battleship".  Did you ever play that 3D 60s game Sonar Sub Hunt where there were actual mines and you moved around under the board seeking the enemy ships?

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on June 29, 2017, 11:35:53 AM
Fastest game of chess I never won...

BTW, you mentioned "You Sunk My Battleship".  Did you ever play that 3D 60s game Sonar Sub Hunt where there were actual mines and you moved around under the board seeking the enemy ships?
ALMIGHTY BOB, I HAVEN'T SEEN THIS GAME IN OVER 40 YEARS!  I could not for the life of me remember the name of it; we'd play it at my grandparents' cottage up on the lake and I've been racking my brains trying to remember what it was called so I could have a whack at finding one on eBay!

You, Cavebear, are today's Most Awesome Person On The Internet.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

That sound like a pretty cool game. A buddy and I used to play Battleship with altered rules, and it wasn't as boring or as easy as the regular version.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mr.Obvious

@Cavebear Never even heard of it before mate. Looks cool though.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Jane Plain

I forgot to mention that I was raised by two atheist.  It was very cool.

Draconic Aiur

Ro3bert

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on June 29, 2017, 12:06:19 PM
ALMIGHTY BOB, I HAVEN'T SEEN THIS GAME IN OVER 40 YEARS!  I could not for the life of me remember the name of it; we'd play it at my grandparents' cottage up on the lake and I've been racking my brains trying to remember what it was called so I could have a whack at finding one on eBay!

You, Cavebear, are today's Most Awesome Person On The Internet.
Thank you, I bow in humble thanks!

I did have to do some serious searching down dark and deep pathways of old games to find the right name, beating my way past trolls demanding outrageous gold coins and sly foreign merchants suggesting "they knew someone who knew someone who knew of this game", I finally DID find the right and proper name.  The journey back through the nether worlds was difficult and perilous.

Well, OK, I closed the tab...

But it takes 2 face to face to play that and there is no gamer club near me. 

And I may remember "You, Cavebear, are today's Most Awesome Person On The Internet".  LOL!

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on July 03, 2017, 04:36:59 AM
But it takes 2 face to face to play that and there is no gamer club near me. 
I think I just want one for the warm fuzzy nostalgia of it.  Although I looked on the Bay of E and they're $HOW MUCH DID YOU SAY?  So it's a lower priority than a couple other things right now.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

There's a game called Twixt that I used to play. The idea was to build a continuous line of bridges across the board while stopping your opponent from building his own.

It could get really complex after a while!

Another of my favorite games was Feudal, that was a bit like chess, but even better.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 05, 2017, 05:08:51 PM
There's a game called Twixt that I used to play. The idea was to build a continuous line of bridges across the board while stopping your opponent from building his own.

It could get really complex after a while!

Another of my favorite games was Feudal, that was a bit like chess, but even better.
Both Avalon Hill games.  I played both, but not a whole lot.  I liked the AH war games more, like Tatics II or D-Day or Panzer Blitz.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

I have Feudal.  Used to play it often with a roommate.  I was good at it. too!  It is nearly perfect condition too.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 05, 2017, 05:23:51 PM
Both Avalon Hill games.  I played both, but not a whole lot.  I liked the AH war games more, like Tatics II or D-Day or Panzer Blitz.

There was an earlier game called "Bridg-It.  Same connection idea.

I grew up playing Avalon Hill Games.  Most others were too simple.  Gettysburg was a favorite.  I have Origins of WWI and a couple others.  It was really hard finding others to play those games.  Complex to learn and time-consuming.  The one friend I had around 12 who also enjoyed them moved away. 

I wish there was a game club around here who had members wanting to play those long complicated games.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 06, 2017, 05:09:22 AM

I grew up playing Avalon Hill Games.  Most others were too simple.  Gettysburg was a favorite.  I have Origins of WWI and a couple others.  It was really hard finding others to play those games.  Complex to learn and time-consuming.  The one friend I had around 12 who also enjoyed them moved away. 

I wish there was a game club around here who had members wanting to play those long complicated games.

The only strategy games I play now, are on-line, against a computer opponent.  Are you bigoted against AI people?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on July 06, 2017, 05:09:22 AM

I had similar experience.  I loved D-Day & Gettsburg, and the one guy I played with moved away when I was a junior in HS.  As a young adult I subscribed to a mag called S & T (Strategy and Tactics) which came out 6 times a year.  It contained a game each issue.  Still couldn't find a game partner but loved the mag; it's still around I think, but sans the game.  And I, too, would love to run across a club in which people liked to play those types of games.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?