News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

“An Afterlife Chat with J.C.”

Started by Solomon Zorn, April 17, 2015, 01:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on April 09, 2017, 09:41:27 PM
Look in mirror.  When we choose our own god, he/she always looks a lot like ourselves ;-)
When I was ten or so, in my dream (not a daydream, but an actual asleep dream) God appeared before me in the form of my grandfather wearing his usual dark gray suit, a terrifying enough man without being an actual god.  He walked into my bedroom and just stood there watching me.  He didn't say anything.  He just watched me.  I woke up in a heavy sweat.  No; God is not me.  He's my grandfather.  And if I'm right, we are all fucked.

Cavebear

In my vague just-before-sleep imaginings, there is a deity that doesn't care anything about us, is utterly inscrutable, vaguely knows we exist, and is doesn't mess with our lives in the least bit.

Then I awaken and find the whole idea of a deity ridiculous and completely unnecessary to our existence.  The awakened life is SO much better than the sleeping/dreaming one!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on April 12, 2017, 05:21:45 AM
In my vague just-before-sleep imaginings, there is a deity that doesn't care anything about us, is utterly inscrutable, vaguely knows we exist, and is doesn't mess with our lives in the least bit.

Then I awaken and find the whole idea of a deity ridiculous and completely unnecessary to our existence.  The awakened life is SO much better than the sleeping/dreaming one!

Exactly what Epicurus taught 2300 years ago.  He also supported atomic theory/materialism ... and allowed women students in his philosophy school.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.