News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

My conversion

Started by Drich0150, June 23, 2017, 04:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

Mankind has invented thousands of gods ,including yours. There is the possibility of a creator. But it certainly is not the pitiful one you preach, incompetent, evil, violent, and mostly idiotic. But perhaps there is a real creator out there, but it is not interested in us. Our place in the universe kinda proves that to rational minds.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

fencerider

Quote from: aitm on July 11, 2017, 07:42:20 PM
Mankind has invented thousands of gods ,including yours. There is the possibility of a creator. But it certainly is not the pitiful one you preach, incompetent, evil, violent, and mostly idiotic. But perhaps there is a real creator out there, but it is not interested in us. Our place in the universe kinda proves that to rational minds.
yup. Either god isn't real or god don't give a rat's ass about me. Unless something changes in the way of evidence I'd just be wastin my time. Did enough of that already
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Drich0150

Quote from: aitm on July 11, 2017, 07:42:20 PM
Do you not hear yourself???

Man has made thousands of Gods...

There might be a creator, but not your version he must be my version because... because why?

What must God be in your image? why can't God be the oppsite of you? why must you be his precious?
1Thess 5:21 Question all things and hold on to what is Good. This is a charge meant for those who think themselves Christian. We are to question the foundational as well as the questionable, and hold on to the truth. Because I've done this my answers may be... Different than the typical Christian

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

aitm

Quote from: Drich0150 on July 12, 2017, 03:06:45 PM

What must God be in your image? why can't God be the oppsite of you? why must you be his precious?

This is the story of the religious self-righteous. They think THEY alone have the correct god. Your arrogance suggested to you that I somehow thought I had a god superior to yours, whereas  I merely mentioned that humanity has created all the gods. You took it upon yourself to ingrate your arrogance  into simple reality. There are no gods....neither yours.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Drich0150

Quote from: aitm on July 12, 2017, 09:10:07 PM
This is the story of the religious self-righteous.
Isn't that what I just said when I pointed out your identification of God must look like you (your words) That God could be the asshole I worship.. I simply asked why not?

QuoteThey think THEY alone have the correct god.
now look on the other side of the coin. How is that any different than proclaiming the opposite? In that God can't exist unless he meets you approval/parameters?

Your arrogance suggested to you that I somehow thought I had a god superior to yours, whereas  I merely mentioned that humanity has created all the gods. You took it upon yourself to ingrate your arrogance  into simple reality. There are no gods....neither yours.
You are so comfortable with lying to make a point you would even contradict yourself??? for what purpose? is it your hope I won't hold you to what you said?

The post I originally answered to had 4 sentences 1"man created all Gods." 2
QuoteThere is the possibility of a creator.
QuoteBut it certainly is not the pitiful one you preach, incompetent, evil, violent, and mostly idiotic.
QuoteBut perhaps there is a real creator out there, but it is not interested in us. 4Our place in the universe kinda proves that to rational minds.

Now compare that to the shite' and spin you just did. You just claim I made u the fact that you said there was a possiblity of God just not my God, but one that looked like you.

So lets look at the sentence numbers and see what they mean. Sentence 2 There is a possible of a creator (period) not a question but a statement There is a creator next I sumized "but not my creator" which sentence 3 covers most perfectly. Then I said you claim your God must look like you, now read sentence 4... Your God appeals to you..

So tell me line by line Like I just did for you how it is I am making up the idea that you think you had a god superior to mine. Because that is exactly what you think you just cant admit it as you don't like being called a hypocrite.
1Thess 5:21 Question all things and hold on to what is Good. This is a charge meant for those who think themselves Christian. We are to question the foundational as well as the questionable, and hold on to the truth. Because I've done this my answers may be... Different than the typical Christian

Cavebear

All deities mankind has ever created are just that.  Creations in the minds of mankind.  None exist as imagined, and none are like to exist in any human imaginings.  The desire of mankind to have a Great-Daddy-In-The-Sky watchijng and judging us will always be an anti-human fear to the weak of mind and those fearful of life.  And a way to control others by those more cynical than rational thinkers.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Of course, the funny thing about conversion stories is that they're absolutely worthless as evidence of anything other than the storyteller's state of mind at the time of the conversion.  Otherwise, if I told you how I converted to Wicca in 1984 you'd all be dancing naked around a bonfire tonight on the strength of my testimony.

I shan't rule out the possibility that some of you may be doing that anyway for entirely secular reasons.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on July 14, 2017, 12:50:11 PM
Of course, the funny thing about conversion stories is that they're absolutely worthless as evidence of anything other than the storyteller's state of mind at the time of the conversion.  Otherwise, if I told you how I converted to Wicca in 1984 you'd all be dancing naked around a bonfire tonight on the strength of my testimony.

I shan't rule out the possibility that some of you may be doing that anyway for entirely secular reasons.  :D

Oh, sorry, I was dancing around with the cats wearing only my fur...  Ahem...

Yes, of course anecdotal evidence is never very convincing to a rational mind.  I could be the last atheist on Earth (and indeed I once thought I was the only one - but that's another story) and still be an atheist.  Certainty is never proof, but lacking a convincing argument, I would stay one.  I came by it on my own, I'll die with it on my own.

Drich0150

Quote from: trdsf on July 14, 2017, 12:50:11 PM

Not when the same offer that was made to me is made to you by the same God. If you like me wants proof of God. then follow what God would have us do to receive Him. What better proof of God is there than God?

Colanth

Quote from: Drich0150 on July 17, 2017, 08:23:21 AM
Not when the same offer that was made to me is made to you by the same God.
He must have missed your memo about that, because he's never contacted me, and at 75, I'd think he'd have had enough time.

QuoteIf you like me wants proof of God. then follow what God would have us do to receive Him. What better proof of God is there than God?
None at all - so produce him or go somewhere I won't mention and you wouldn't like.  (I mean produce as in objective evidence that he objectively exists.  We already know that he subjectively exists in your dysfunctional mind.)
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Cavebear

A flaming message in the sky would be were interesting.  And even then, I would want to investigate how it occurred.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on July 18, 2017, 03:02:43 AM
A flaming message in the sky would be were interesting.  And even then, I would want to investigate how it occurred.
Funny thing is, if the message didn't fit in with theists' existing beliefs, they'd reject it out of hand even if there were no rational, physical explanation for the message's existence.

Besides, I'd much rather see giant fingers coming down from the clouds pointing at all the hypocrites of whatever religion, with a big booming voice saying "ENOUGH!"  Oh, but the looks on Pat Robertson's and Mike Pence's faces (et al.) would be precious.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on July 18, 2017, 12:28:31 PM
Funny thing is, if the message didn't fit in with theists' existing beliefs, they'd reject it out of hand even if there were no rational, physical explanation for the message's existence.

Besides, I'd much rather see giant fingers coming down from the clouds pointing at all the hypocrites of whatever religion, with a big booming voice saying "ENOUGH!"  Oh, but the looks on Pat Robertson's and Mike Pence's faces (et al.) would be precious.

Correct ... if there were a real Jesus, and Jesus came back, the Christians would be first in line to kill him.  Then the Muslims (What you you mean, we don't get 72 perpetual virgins!).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

The gods were invented at the beginning of the agricultural era, as a result of a new (at the time) need to know the exact time of the seasons. So the stars became much more important for their calendars, and in order to remember the times and locations of the stars they made up stories about them and called them gods. Because they were thought not only to tell the times for planting and harvesting, they also became the agents of the seasonal changes. And then, of course, people being people, they began to worship the stars as real gods, eventually even forgetting about the gods' link to the skies. And now we're stuck with supreme idiocy that passes for great wisdom.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman