The Murder of Philandro Castile

Started by Shiranu, June 22, 2017, 12:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylar

Truly sickening.

I thought cop involved in this would be convicted by jury 100% just by the initial videos that were released.
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." --Oscar Wilde

Cavebear

Quote from: Sylar on June 30, 2017, 06:20:01 PM
Truly sickening.

I thought cop involved in this would be convicted by jury 100% just by the initial videos that were released.

I have given up on juries.  The smartest people know how to get out of them (myself included).  The dumb half are left.  Of those, half wouldn't convict "one of their own" even if they witnessed the event and had no doubts.  Almost half could reason their way out of a wet paper bag, and all it takes is one obstinate fool to deadlock a jury.  I am amazed that anyone gets convicted of anything. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

It depends on whether the prosecutors really wants a conviction. They have to live and work with the rest of the cops.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

The problem is ... idealism is all well and good, but it doesn't relate to reality ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 03, 2017, 09:23:59 PM
It depends on whether the prosecutors really wants a conviction. They have to live and work with the rest of the cops.

No, even when the prosecutors want a conviction, they can't get one.  Jury-nullification is too common.  It is possible we need professional jurors.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 06, 2017, 04:38:55 AM
No, even when the prosecutors want a conviction, they can't get one.  Jury-nullification is too common.  It is possible we need professional jurors.

Those are called judges.  Will you volunteer to the the hanging judge of Ft Smith Arkansas?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.