News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

creation/evolution

Started by Drich0150, June 19, 2017, 04:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Space shuttle had three flight computers ... each less powerful than a smart phone today ... anyway, two out of three had to come to the same result, a majority vote, for things to go forward.  It could tolerate one of three computers, out of whack.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 10, 2017, 04:18:21 PM
I wonder if Christians take their cars to faith mechanics and pray for them to be fixed by their God?

In Japan, you take your new car the the local Buddhist priest, to have it prayed for against accidents ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

My basic argument against religion is that it is revelatory in nature and faith-based, therefore immune to change.  While science is never sure but is provisional.  Theists point to that and think science has no foundation.  But science is more a method of factual thinking, but a set of ideas.

Theists point to science changing as some evidence of unvalidity.  But, in reality, science doesn't change that much in terms of basic discoveries.  F=M*A, atoms exist, the Earth is a sphere, etc.  The ideas on the fringes are always subject to change, but those are just ideas being tested and questioned.  Religion has no testing process. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Drich0150

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 10, 2017, 04:18:21 PM
I wonder if Christians take their cars to faith mechanics and pray for them to be fixed by their God?

Funny you should ask

I was asked to put on a timming belt on my sisters nissan v6 pathfinder or something.. Got it all down and it was a double over head cam set up and when I went to release the old belt the right cam went left a few degrees the right inner when left a feww degrees and the same thing happened on the other head.. No biggy I figured I'll just look up the marks and reset everything again. Problem was I spent an hour looking for the crank mark... No dice. Googled it.. turns out there was a casting problem in the timming cover for the first 500 cars made that year with my particular engine set up.

That means besides a complete tear down there was no way to fix this. So I prayed over this thing explained to God what I was doing and why it needed to be done. so I was staring at the cam gears and saw the first one literally move (Which takes a great effort as you are fighting the valve springs) something like three teeth to the right, the next one like one click/tooth to the left and so on till all 4 cams had moved and moved back. so I wrote it all down set each one by hand to what I saw move. put the rest of the car together and it fired right up no spit no sputter the very first time.

This was amazing as anyone who has worked on a non interference motor will tell you the timing has to be spot on or it will destroy the motor.

So yeah.. I've prayed over many a motor and prayed for a "healing."
1Thess 5:21 Question all things and hold on to what is Good. This is a charge meant for those who think themselves Christian. We are to question the foundational as well as the questionable, and hold on to the truth. Because I've done this my answers may be... Different than the typical Christian

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on July 10, 2017, 11:42:30 PM
In Japan, you take your new car the the local Buddhist priest, to have it prayed for against accidents ;-)
Ha! Does insurance cover that?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Drich0150

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on July 10, 2017, 09:21:36 PM
Trajectories fall under "celestial mechanics." There are some fields of science that are quite math-heavy. Celestial mechanics is one. Here's another:

You do know that there's this thing called "redundancy," right? Despite your bluster, these millions of parts did NOT have to work flawlessly, because they were redundant systems â€" the fact that there were millions of parts was partially to ensure that enough of it did work properly to get men to the moon. There was tolerance for failure.

Oh, so that's how it works huh? I guess Unk was lying when he said the saturn V was not built with safty in mind, that they were when he said they weren't back up with redundant systems and sub systems like space craft today. that everything they used was heavy and took up alot of space, and often time they were lucky to have one of something let alone two or three. Then He pointed out the failure of "Modular redundancy" when two systems were required instead of just one.. Modular redundancy means that the parts in redundant system were not compatible. (I figured you should be given that definition because you are too F-ing intellectually lazy to look it up yourself, because if you weren't you would have been able to come up with the guidance system being the only redundant system on the saturn V launch system.
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=19670057221
http://www.klabs.org/DEI/fault_tolerance/apollo/moore_67.pdf
https://history.nasa.gov/computers/Ch4-4.html

Why do you think we didn't actually do an attempted moon landing till the 11th apollo Mission?

BECAUSE THERE WEREN'T ANY BACK UP AND EACH PHASE OF THE MISSION HAD TO BE TESTED ON IT'S OWN SO 11 Previous missions to Test each major change or Phase of the moon landing, verse 1st mission test flight of the shuttle because the shuttle had 5 back up computers!!!
1Thess 5:21 Question all things and hold on to what is Good. This is a charge meant for those who think themselves Christian. We are to question the foundational as well as the questionable, and hold on to the truth. Because I've done this my answers may be... Different than the typical Christian

Drich0150

Quote from: aitm on July 10, 2017, 09:30:28 PM
Quote from: Drich0150 on July 09, 2017, 03:01:33 PMawww....dirchy baby is losing his grip....too much sciency stuff for a babble thumper
No I just like to point out how stupid some of you are. On your own terms. besides I am not someone who abhores cussing. "harsh language" was not something Christ Himself was a shamed of and neither am I.

Drich0150

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 10, 2017, 09:39:07 PM
Yeah.  The manned mission that landed on the moon was Apollo 13, the 7th manned mission in the program and the manned mission that popularized the phrase "Houston, we've had a problem here".

The equipment didn't "work flawlessly", nor was its success attributable to luck (that idea insults the huge amount of painstaking work and knowledge that went into the program).

TL;DR - OP is a bundle of sticks and doesn't understand the "scape" program.

No, apollo 11, 12 made it to the moon, 13 partially exploded into space because there wasn't a redundant cryo stir motor, they recovered, and yes a lot of hard work went into their recovery but hard work does not compensate for the intangables. like upon the restart of the lander (without heat) condensation built up. The wiring of the lander was not water tight.. IT WAS DUMB LUCK or GOD if you like that keep them from staring a fire in an oxygen rich enviroment like that. Or a thousand other things, like Luck the Heat shield did not crack upon the explosion of the oxygen tank or luck the chutes were not ripped up or damaged by the scrapmatal or luck that the explosion did not take out more primary or sub systems (As apposed to back ups)

Drich0150

Quote from: Baruch on July 10, 2017, 11:41:39 PM
Space shuttle had three flight computers ... each less powerful than a smart phone today ... anyway, two out of three had to come to the same result, a majority vote, for things to go forward.  It could tolerate one of three computers, out of whack.
Uh no
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzgk-L34yjo

As I said before there were 5 not 3 computers on the very first shuttle. 4 programmed exactly the same and one no frills back up with the basic telemetry that allowed for a safe take off and landing.

https://history.nasa.gov/computers/Ch4-4.html

Drich0150

Quote from: Cavebear on July 11, 2017, 06:59:35 AM
My basic argument against religion is that it is revelatory in nature and faith-based, therefore immune to change.  While science is never sure but is provisional.  Theists point to that and think science has no foundation.  But science is more a method of factual thinking, but a set of ideas.

Theists point to science changing as some evidence of unvalidity.  But, in reality, science doesn't change that much in terms of basic discoveries.  F=M*A, atoms exist, the Earth is a sphere, etc.  The ideas on the fringes are always subject to change, but those are just ideas being tested and questioned.  Religion has no testing process.

Glob..
Apples and oranges. Religion is not an academic study. it is a methodology in which we can sever God first then man.

Science is not a living philosphy it is a guestimation of how, why what, based on limited data or it would neve change as well.

Now if you take the conflict between What God said and what we currently say science says then you have two very different subjects.

With the OP 90% of the contradiction is now Gone.

And like I do, I have made lots of money understanding and aply practical science in my everyday work, but at the same time can also worship God and have it not conflict with anything I know to be true in science.

Only the descendant of a foolish monkey/man (one the flood did not get) could not reconcile the two with what I have placed in the OP

aitm

Quote from: Drich0150 on July 11, 2017, 05:02:54 PM
No I just like to point out how stupid some of you are.

or you simply can't handle the truth.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

fencerider

Quote from: Baruch on July 10, 2017, 11:41:39 PM
I thought it was 4. If one didn't agree and the rest did, that computer automatically shut-down.

Well technology has advanced so far that I would say that the avg smart phone could simultaneously launch 4 Saturn V rockets or 2-3 Space Shuttle, if someone wrote the software
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 11, 2017, 04:47:35 PM
Ha! Does insurance cover that?

Japanese saying ... "Why are Japanese drivers so good?"  ... "Because all the bad ones are dead!"
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Drich0150

Quote from: aitm on July 11, 2017, 07:44:30 PM
or you simply can't handle the truth.

Seriously?!?! look at this page alone. and show me where I am wrong! Then look at how many times I have corrected some of the members on your own homefield topic of space exploration WITH CITATION to back up what I said.

Show me one example of where I was wrong please.

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: Drich0150 on July 11, 2017, 04:57:54 PM
Oh, so that's how it works huh? I guess Unk was lying when he said the saturn V was not built with safty in mind, that they were when he said they weren't back up with redundant systems and sub systems like space craft today.
If he said that, then yes, he was lying or just didn't know. Sure, there was some risk involved, but they were going to the fucking moon. Of course there was some risk involved. They did have redundancies, and what little that wasn't redundant was built to very high engineering quality. That's why the Saturn V was so expensive. You could literally buy every Veryon Supersport on the planet with handsome change left over for the cost of a single Apollo launch (at today's prices).

Quote from: Drich0150
that everything they used was heavy and took up alot of space, and often time they were lucky to have one of something let alone two or three.
Well, certainly the tanks didn't have redundancy, but they were built to high standards.

Then He pointed out the failure of "Modular redundancy" when two systems were required instead of just one.. Modular redundancy means that the parts in redundant system were not compatible. (I figured you should be given that definition because you are too F-ing intellectually lazy to look it up yourself, because if you weren't you would have been able to come up with the guidance system being the only redundant system on the saturn V launch system.
Redundancy doesn't mean "two or more of everything," you fucking idiot. It means that even in a catestrophic accident (like what happened on Apollo 13), there were contingencies and backups for what might go wrong to get the crew back safely. The LEM served as a lifeboat on 13. It counts as a redundant system.

Why do you think we didn't actually do an attempted moon landing till the 11th apollo Mission?
Because they were testing the systems through Apollo 10.

BECAUSE THERE WEREN'T ANY BACK UP AND EACH PHASE OF THE MISSION HAD TO BE TESTED ON IT'S OWN SO 11 Previous missions to Test each major change or Phase of the moon landing, verse 1st mission test flight of the shuttle because the shuttle had 5 back up computers!!!
Well, wouldn't you want to test the systems before going through with the full mission, you fucking nimrod?
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu