Author Topic: Home Baking - Home cooking  (Read 16083 times)

Online Munch

Re: Home Baking - Home cooking
« Reply #390 on: October 25, 2018, 05:41:22 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Also, let me see if I have this right.  What we in the US call 'jelly' is 'jam' in the UK, while UK 'jelly' is our 'gelatine'.  I don't know if there's a particular term for 'jam' in British English -- the difference between (USian) jelly, jam and preserves being that jelly is made with fruit juice, jam with fruit pulp, and preserves with actual chunks of fruit included.

in the uk this is what people think when you say jelly.

which is basically fruit flavored gelatine. You can get it ready made or make it up yourself to set.

And jam is preserves, like here.

this is why when we make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich here, its jam we use.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 05:42:55 PM by Munch »

Offline Baruch

« Reply #391 on: October 25, 2018, 07:15:46 PM »
Best jam ... Knott's Berry Farm

Marmite ... no American version

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ... alas ... food section acquired eventually by Smuckers.

This was a big part of my California childhood.  My grandmother loved it, particularly their fried chicken (my grandfather hated all chicken).  No admission charge until 1968, so we went there much more often than Disneyland.
שלום

Online Munch

« Reply #392 on: October 25, 2018, 07:29:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Best jam ... Knott's Berry Farm

Marmite ... no American version

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ... alas ... food section acquired eventually by Smuckers.

This was a big part of my California childhood.  My grandmother loved it, particularly their fried chicken (my grandfather hated all chicken).  No admission charge until 1968, so we went there much more often than Disneyland.

Best jam I've tried is this.

Sells on amazon.com for $27, but I get it here in tescos for like £3.

As for marmite, my half american half Swedish friend was curious about marmite, so sent him a pot for christmas one year. He said he was awful, and that veggiemite was better.

our friendship survived despite this.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk