News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Home Baking - Home cooking

Started by pr126, June 17, 2017, 06:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Dad's been making stuffed mussels.  Gawd... MMM. It's a beloved street food here, but of course home made is always safer. We collect them from our beach. A lot of people seem aware of the treasure though,lol. Myeh.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Cooked shellfish are OK, but as a youth, I did try raw clams (not muscles) and raw oysters.  I prefer my oysters smoked in oil in a can.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

I approve of the eating of mussels.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

drunkenshoe

Oh yeah, didn't think of that. It could be an acquired taste for the most. I have eaten it all my life.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Mr.Obvious

Mussels are a Belgian national dish, served with fries ( and mayo traditionally) .
I eat them once or twice a year. I love 'em. But the portions in Belgium are rediculous. So vast I can' t manage to bring myself to eat them more than twice a year.

Baruch

Which culture like eels?  Netherlands?  Bottom fish ewww.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on September 12, 2020, 09:56:51 PM
Which culture like eels?  Netherlands?  Bottom fish ewww.
Never had it myself, but 'paling in 't groen' is often eaten here'. Supposed to not be bad at all. It's eel.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on September 12, 2020, 04:14:01 PM
Mussels are a Belgian national dish, served with fries ( and mayo traditionally) .
I eat them once or twice a year. I love 'em. But the portions in Belgium are rediculous. So vast I can' t manage to bring myself to eat them more than twice a year.

That sounds 'heavy'. Ours is much lighter and eaten/paid per one -changes according to the size- in street vendors with lemon. It's actually common competition people get into when drunk. Closing a vendor when you're 3-4 people at night. We used to do that. You get out a pub, drunk, catch one and circle it to buy it all so no stranger will get in. LOL

Baruch

Citrus on shell fish, good idea.  Wine vinegar would probably be good on it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cassia

I really sing the praises of an old cast iron skillet. This one from Birmingham Stove And Range could easily be 100 years old. What a beast, cooks like a champ. We just use olive oil to season despite of what the experts say. The original no stick pan.

Mr.Obvious

Day before yesterday, the GF made a delicious Quiche.
Made with leftover cauliflower from the day before, fresh brocolli and carrots, and minced meat.
I cut the veggies, she did the rest. Delish. Shredded cheese on top.

This morning, it was a holiday, I made my first ever cheesecake. Worked out very well, even if I say so myself.

Mr.Obvious

Made a vegetarian lasagna with pumpkin instead of the pasta-layers. Pretty good if I say so myself. The gf made the white sauce. Me the red. Will try to update with a pic later.
Yummy and low in carbs.
Light cheese too.

Mr.Obvious

Reminder to self:

No cooking while having a wine-buzz on AND listening to 'last week tonight' by john oliver.

Cooking is an 'Or-Or' kinda deal.

trdsf

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 24, 2021, 02:03:15 PM
Reminder to self:

No cooking while having a wine-buzz on AND listening to 'last week tonight' by john oliver.

Cooking is an 'Or-Or' kinda deal.
Ouch... I did once while hacking up a cabbage for haluski, took a good quarter of my nail and fingertip off.  It eventually grew back nail and all, but eek.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

I did the same to my index finger chopping up some cabbage, as well.  Took the tip and part of the nail.  It healed, but there is a scar under the nail.  My Dr. at the time had a fellow Dr. helper from Argentina.  He cleaned up the cut and suggest I put sugar on it,  and on all cuts about this size.  I guess that is the thing to do in Argentina.  It worked for me--formed a sort of crust over the cut until the scab hardened. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?