News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Home Baking - Home cooking

Started by pr126, June 17, 2017, 06:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

Pumpkin pie I baked today.

Used canned pumpkin I got from an online american foods import, cinnamon and nutmeg.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

My mother couldn't cook, when she married my Dad in 1948.  She made a pumpkin pie, by putting the canned stuff in a pie crust.  Didn't realize you had to bake it ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Munch on October 30, 2019, 02:59:03 PM

Pumpkin pie I baked today.

Used canned pumpkin I got from an online american foods import, cinnamon and nutmeg.
That looks great!  That is good by itself, or if one wants to really blow it, put on whipped cream or ice cream!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Munch

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 30, 2019, 06:34:46 PM
That looks great!  That is good by itself, or if one wants to really blow it, put on whipped cream or ice cream!

Yep, sure did! Got whipped cream for it. So good!!
I was babysitting my nephew's today and when one asked what I was baking and told them, he responded "ugh sounds gross!". I did make the little goblins some orange coloured chocolate chip cookies though so they were happy.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on October 30, 2019, 05:40:34 PM
My mother couldn't cook, when she married my Dad in 1948.  She made a pumpkin pie, by putting the canned stuff in a pie crust.  Didn't realize you had to bake it ;-))

I heard horror stories from mum about her mother's baking. Her idea of spaghetti bolognese back in the 60s was just pasta, mince and ketchup. Or a Sunday roast was just boiled chicken and steamed potatoes. Thank goodness mum decided to take up cooking after she moved away, and pass that info me and my brother

Mike Cl

Quote from: Munch on October 30, 2019, 06:44:20 PM
Yep, sure did! Got whipped cream for it. So good!!
I was babysitting my nephew's today and when one asked what I was baking and told them, he responded "ugh sounds gross!". I did make the little goblins some orange coloured chocolate chip cookies though so they were happy.
Not sure why pumpkin sounds so gross.  I love the smell of a baking pumpkin pie--your place must have smelled good for quite awhile.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Munch

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 30, 2019, 06:50:11 PM
Not sure why pumpkin sounds so gross.  I love the smell of a baking pumpkin pie--your place must have smelled good for quite awhile.

I loved the smell of pumpkin when opening the can ^^, and yes, house smelled great.
I'm gonna give a slice to my mother tomorrow.

Now Christmas is close, I want to try something I've not baked before, like a layer cake or pudding of some kind.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Munch on October 30, 2019, 06:53:16 PM
I loved the smell of pumpkin when opening the can ^^, and yes, house smelled great.
I'm gonna give a slice to my mother tomorrow.

Now Christmas is close, I want to try something I've not baked before, like a layer cake or pudding of some kind.
Tapioca---just cannot beat tapioca!!!

trdsf

I already have my marching orders for Thanksgiving -- four pies and the turkey.  Haven't decided what I'm going to do to the bird yet.  Two apple pies, one with Crown Royal salted caramel, the other with a handful of Red Hots for a candy apple pie.  And two pumpkin pies, one flavored with Bailey's Pumpkin Spice and one with Captain Morgan pumpkin rum.

I will be so happy when the annual orgy of pumpkin spice stuff finally dies out... I genuinely saw pumpkin spice salmon steaks at the grocery two days ago.  Thankfully the sushi joint is thus far immune...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on October 30, 2019, 06:48:55 PM
I heard horror stories from mum about her mother's baking. Her idea of spaghetti bolognese back in the 60s was just pasta, mince and ketchup. Or a Sunday roast was just boiled chicken and steamed potatoes. Thank goodness mum decided to take up cooking after she moved away, and pass that info me and my brother

My mom subsequently became a good cook.  Standing rib roast and yorkshire pudding at Christmas.  I got my British fetish from her (she is a Kansas girl, so go figure).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on October 31, 2019, 02:55:34 AM
I already have my marching orders for Thanksgiving -- four pies and the turkey.  Haven't decided what I'm going to do to the bird yet.  Two apple pies, one with Crown Royal salted caramel, the other with a handful of Red Hots for a candy apple pie.  And two pumpkin pies, one flavored with Bailey's Pumpkin Spice and one with Captain Morgan pumpkin rum.

I will be so happy when the annual orgy of pumpkin spice stuff finally dies out... I genuinely saw pumpkin spice salmon steaks at the grocery two days ago.  Thankfully the sushi joint is thus far immune...

Go with precooked boneless turkey breast block.  Reheat with your own choice of spices (sage?).  A friend of mine, lost a finger tip back to the joint, to salmonella, struggling with a vengeful frozen whole turkey, when retrieving the gibletts package from the body cavity while it was still frozen.  Interior bone cut him.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 30, 2019, 06:50:11 PM

Had my first pumpkin spice latte yesterday.  Moving the cats and me tomorrow, so probably the last time I will visit the Starbucks here.  Fortunately they have 3 outlets in Farmington, NM.  Hope to be cooking this holiday, been too busy with moving, and never practical when I lived alone.  Daughter will give me cooking lessons.  We have only got to cook together once, for Thanksgiving 2011.  When I was first single, 41 years ago, I cooked for myself, until I got married.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

My nephews 10th birthday, I wanted to do something special for him, so planned on a chocolate layer cake

First attempt didn't go so well.

But I didn't give up and tried another recipe, which yielded better results!

Leading to the final product.

My nephew was thrilled, and even his younger brother said it was the best cake he's seen. Lots of hugs around that day.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Munch on November 29, 2019, 05:24:54 PM
My nephews 10th birthday, I wanted to do something special for him, so planned on a chocolate layer cake

First attempt didn't go so well.

But I didn't give up and tried another recipe, which yielded better results!

Leading to the final product.

My nephew was thrilled, and even his younger brother said it was the best cake he's seen. Lots of hugs around that day.
This is what I would have done to the first one.  Filled the depression with chocolate pudding (or vanilla pudding if one is daring) and then frosted it with chocolate frosting.
But they all looked good!