News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Home Baking - Home cooking

Started by pr126, June 17, 2017, 06:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

At Christmas only time I eat sprouts is boiled, then put in a pan with bacon lardons, chestnuts and cooked in olive oil.

https://www.abelandcole.co.uk/recipes/brussels-sprouts-with-chestnuts-lardons
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

pr126

Quote from: Munch on February 06, 2019, 05:52:35 AM
At Christmas only time I eat sprouts is boiled, then put in a pan with bacon lardons, chestnuts and cooked in olive oil.

I buy them frozen in Tesco's, microwave (frozen) for 4 minutes in a little water.

Bacon is fine, but chestnuts have sugar and carbs. Have walnuts instead.

Munch

Well you know type 1 diabeties, there's some flexibility there long as I take the right amount of insulin

I imagine there's an alternative instead of chestnuts though with no carbs, since walnuts would have that too.

trdsf

Quote from: Munch on February 06, 2019, 05:52:35 AM

I've taken to halving sprouts and roasting them with balsamic vinegar and orange rind.  Man, that's good.

Now, my mom cooked them the Midwestern way: if you can still count them, they're not done yet.  There were so many vegetables I didn't learn to love until I was an adult and tasting things cooked properly...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

pr126

Cooking veggies and vitamin loss?

QuoteStill, high temperatures and long cooking times can degrade vitamins that are more sensitive to heat. While this is hard to avoid with soups, it is much less of a concern than leached and wasted vitamins.

If you're planning on preparing vegetables to eat alone, you may want to try steaming them briefly until they are crisp and tender.  It's almost always best to keep cooking times low: microwaving, steaming,

I buy my veggies frozen and cook them in the microwave or steam.
Less bulk, and less work with no loss of nutrients.

Except for cauliflowers where I steam and mash in the food processor instead of potatoes which are heavy on carbs. (diabetes, Keto diet.)

pr126

Healthy dinner, zero carbs.
Avocado, salad, sugarfree jelly with cream

aitm

oh hell no. I went to a Jap steakhouse last night.....two pounds of fried rice, lobster tail and filet in soy and a touch of teriyaki with a slathering off perfectly grilled onions heavily salted ( a touch too much though) of course the usual pate hor deurves and all with ginger steak sauce and yum yum seafood sauce...dumb fuck asked if I wanted bean sprouts...BEAN SPROUTS? WTF ya trying to kill me? Oh an 3 rum and cokes to whisk it down....NOW DAT IS A HEALTHY MEAL.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SoldierofFortune

Ohh we in Turkland eat always fresh vegetable made by my mothers... at least my mother thanks god gives us always vegetable fried in supervirgin olive oil.

aitm

tis a shame humans can't be extra virgin or super virgin or even superior virgin....shame I tell ya damn shame...I mean what could possible taste better than extra virgin virgin?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on February 10, 2019, 01:15:21 PM
Ohh we in Turkland eat always fresh vegetable made by my mothers... at least my mother thanks god gives us always vegetable fried in supervirgin olive oil.

Mother Mary was a supervirgin ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: aitm on February 10, 2019, 12:55:29 PM
oh hell no. I went to a Jap steakhouse last night.....two pounds of fried rice, lobster tail and filet in soy and a touch of teriyaki with a slathering off perfectly grilled onions heavily salted ( a touch too much though) of course the usual pate hor deurves and all with ginger steak sauce and yum yum seafood sauce...dumb fuck asked if I wanted bean sprouts...BEAN SPROUTS? WTF ya trying to kill me? Oh an 3 rum and cokes to whisk it down....NOW DAT IS A HEALTHY MEAL.
*sob* The best Japanese steakhouse here in town is closed; we were fortunate to get in on their very last seating, and I shall forever count that as one of the high points of my life, bean sprouts and all.  The chicken and scallops was as astounding as it ever was, and the owner came around at the end of the night pouring free champagne (on top of the Japanese martiniâ€"sake replacing the dry vermouth)... but almighty fuck, I wish they hadn't closed.  None of the other Japanese steakhouses in the area are as good.  They're good, but not as good.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Same here.  Best steakhouse here closes after owner retires after 37 years.  Sad.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

its not cooking but still, its a consumable.

Brought three of these from the online company.

http://beaniesflavourco.co.uk/

tried the caramel one, it was alright, though tbh it felt like I could have had the same taste from that caramel syrup that use in coffee shops

might try the mint one later.

Baruch

As long as those aren't the beanies that make you toot ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Made lasagna sunday.

It was scrumptious, even if I say so myself.

Contains two types of onions, fresh tomatoes, canned tomatoes, pasata, dubbel-concentrated tomato-paste, fresh garlic, paprika, carrots,  zucchini, cheese, butter, flower, eggplant on top, minced meat, mushrooms, pre-made lasagna-leaves and a good amount of spice.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.