News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Home Baking - Home cooking

Started by pr126, June 17, 2017, 06:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Quote from: trdsf on October 25, 2018, 05:23:22 PM
Also, let me see if I have this right.  What we in the US call 'jelly' is 'jam' in the UK, while UK 'jelly' is our 'gelatine'.  I don't know if there's a particular term for 'jam' in British English -- the difference between (USian) jelly, jam and preserves being that jelly is made with fruit juice, jam with fruit pulp, and preserves with actual chunks of fruit included.

in the uk this is what people think when you say jelly.

which is basically fruit flavored gelatine. You can get it ready made or make it up yourself to set.

And jam is preserves, like here.

this is why when we make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich here, its jam we use.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Best jam ... Knott's Berry Farm

Marmite ... no American version

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knott%27s_Berry_Farm ... alas ... food section acquired eventually by Smuckers.

This was a big part of my California childhood.  My grandmother loved it, particularly their fried chicken (my grandfather hated all chicken).  No admission charge until 1968, so we went there much more often than Disneyland.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on October 25, 2018, 07:15:46 PM
Best jam ... Knott's Berry Farm

Marmite ... no American version

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knott%27s_Berry_Farm ... alas ... food section acquired eventually by Smuckers.

This was a big part of my California childhood.  My grandmother loved it, particularly their fried chicken (my grandfather hated all chicken).  No admission charge until 1968, so we went there much more often than Disneyland.

Best jam I've tried is this.

Sells on amazon.com for $27, but I get it here in tescos for like £3.

As for marmite, my half american half Swedish friend was curious about marmite, so sent him a pot for christmas one year. He said he was awful, and that veggiemite was better.

our friendship survived despite this.

pr126

I am currently on a keto diet for the last 3 months to control my blood glucose. Lost 4 lbs already. Average blood glucose is 7.
(Multiply by 18 for American measuring=126)

Here is a recipe for Keto bread for diabetes, no carb.

10 gr butter melted in the microwave for 20 seconds
pinch of salt
30 gr  almond flour
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon baking flour

Mix everything in a mug,

microwave for 90 seconds.

Done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE98gHygT4Y

Cavebear

OK, I just HAD to look it up.  I realized I didn't know the difference between jams and preserves.

In jelly, the fruit comes in the form of fruit juice.
    In jam, the fruit comes in the form of fruit pulp or crushed fruit (and is less stiff than jelly as a result).
    In preserves, the fruit comes in the form of chunks in a syrup or a jam.

So, to my relief, there isn't much difference between jams and preserves.  But I bet someone can make a good issue about it, LOL!

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

pr126

Homemade ghee from 500 gr Irish Kerrygold butter for cooking.

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on December 08, 2018, 09:46:16 AM
Homemade ghee from 500 gr Irish Kerrygold butter for cooking.

Hope that isn't bog butter ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Munch on October 25, 2018, 07:29:10 PM
Best jam I've tried is this.

Sells on amazon.com for $27, but I get it here in tescos for like £3.

As for marmite, my half american half Swedish friend was curious about marmite, so sent him a pot for christmas one year. He said he was awful, and that veggiemite was better.

our friendship survived despite this.
I occasionally see a stray jar of Vegemite or Marmite lurking in the International aisle, and I am occasionally tempted to try it.  The only thing I know about either is that if you put any more than a molecule-thick layer on your toast, you've probably put on too much.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Munch

Quote from: trdsf on December 08, 2018, 08:00:13 PM
I occasionally see a stray jar of Vegemite or Marmite lurking in the International aisle, and I am occasionally tempted to try it.  The only thing I know about either is that if you put any more than a molecule-thick layer on your toast, you've probably put on too much.

marmite is like poison. If you start out young eating it, your build an immunity to the effects while your still young and your body adapts to the taste until you can eat it like any other condiment. If you try it when your an adult without building that immunity, your in for a world of hurt.. from the tongue bleaching.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on December 08, 2018, 10:32:45 PM
marmite is like poison. If you start out young eating it, your build an immunity to the effects while your still young and your body adapts to the taste until you can eat it like any other condiment. If you try it when your an adult without building that immunity, your in for a world of hurt.. from the tongue bleaching.

Marmite is made from the corpses of wee yeastie beasties.  So basically eating dead stuff.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on December 18, 2018, 07:27:09 AM
Marmite is made from the corpses of wee yeastie beasties.  So basically eating dead stuff.

Anything we eat is counted as eating dead stuff.

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on December 18, 2018, 08:00:39 AM
Anything we eat is counted as eating dead stuff.

So, was that salt alive once?  LOL!

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 18, 2018, 08:04:26 AM
So, was that salt alive once?  LOL!

can you live off a diet of salt?

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on December 18, 2018, 09:25:30 AM

Can't live without it.  The point was ... to trigger the vegan gag reflex.  Since that didn't happen, I want y'all to put your finger down your throat, while kissing a taxidermist.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on December 18, 2018, 09:25:30 AM

You said "Anything we eat is counted as eating dead stuff".  Salt is not "dead stuff".  LOL!