News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Home Baking - Home cooking

Started by pr126, June 17, 2017, 06:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on June 16, 2018, 09:09:33 AM
I am about to make meatballs in tomato sauce for pasta.

I have to admit I buy meatballs frozen at a deli.  But they are very good.  And I make my own sauce from canned diced tomatoes.  Simmerred with the meatballs, and some shallots and green pepper and Oregano, it is much better than the jarred stuff.  A much fresher flavor.  I used a jarred sauce the other day and almost rinsed the sause off to try from canned, but it was late and I was hungry.  I can't wait for actual ripe heirloom tomatoes to ripen.  THAT will be a much better sauce.  If I ever have any left after eating them fresh.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

pr126

The meatballs are done, they are cooking now.

This is my kitchen:

I also have a walk-in larder.

pr126

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on June 16, 2018, 09:43:57 AM
The meatballs are done, they are cooking now.

This is my kitchen:

I also have a walk-in larder.

Your kitchen is amazingly uncoordinated and perfect...  Yes, that is a compliment.

pr126

I have attached a wide angle lens to my phone. :0)

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on June 20, 2018, 01:26:10 AM
I have attached a wide angle lens to my phone. :0)

On the general theory of triangulation, doesn't that table get in the way?  I can think of it both ways.  In the first, a useful surface in the center of the kitchen can be convenient from all directions.  On the other, you always have to move around it.  I don't have a center table. so what are your thoughts?

pr126

The kitchen is a dining room as well. It is what I got used to. I find no problem with it.
The food preparation happens by the window side, work space and cooker is there.
I had this kitchen for 20 years, it suits me fine.
It is quite a large room, bigger than “normal” which are usually narrow galley like where you can touch both walls  if you spread your arms out. At least in the UK where new houses built like shoe boxes.
This is an old Victorian building, built in 1909.

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on June 20, 2018, 02:03:55 AM
The kitchen is a dining room as well. It is what I got used to. I find no problem with it.
The food preparation happens by the window side, work space and cooker is there.
I had this kitchen for 20 years, it suits me fine.

I've had my kitchen for 32 years.  The original triangulation was  refrigerator, oven, and crockpot.  The crockpot gave way to the microwave oven at the same spot.  But I do have something in the center of the kitchen that really affects my movement...

pr126

Got to watch your step there with 3 cats, a constant hazard everywhere, trying not to trip over them!

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on June 20, 2018, 02:25:16 AM
Got to watch your step there with 3 cats, a constant hazard everywhere, trying not to trip over them!

For sure!  But Iza there is the only one who deliberately risks my random heavy feet in return for the attention she gets.  And no, I have managed to not step on (anything important) more than (*koff, koff*) once, and we WON'T mention the "Chicken Thigh Theft" when I went calling for the other two Mews before dark and waited patiently out on the deck for them to come in for their 1st dinner and Iza was alone in the kitchen...

pr126

Cherry clafouti baked this morning

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on June 23, 2018, 06:09:40 AM
Cherry clafouti baked this morning

So what is in that?

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on June 25, 2018, 12:11:01 AM

So those were cherries in bread?  I couldn't tell at first.  Not a bad idea.  And BTW, the host mentioned cherry pits.  I have a neat little device that pokes out the pits.  I love fresh cherries in season, so it is worth having it in my "junk" drawer...

pr126

It is not a bread, more like a light pancake batter. Eggs, milk, cream, and a little flour.
Can be done with various fruits, berries, cherries.

I bought frozen cherries already pitted.