Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Home Baking - Home cooking

Started by pr126, June 17, 2017, 06:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 22, 2018, 04:40:13 AM
5 HOURS???

That's what you do with a slow cooked meal dude, it's not cooked in an oven, but on a slow cooker, can turn it on around lunch time and have it ready by dinner.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

pr126

I have one of those slow cookers, but now I use the pressure cooker, 40 minutes, using less electricity.

Lamb casserole:

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on May 23, 2018, 08:13:06 AM
I have one of those slow cookers, but now I use the pressure cooker, 40 minutes, using less electricity.

Lamb casserole:

I have a pressure cooker, never used it.  The slow cooker is good for some things, but it results a mushy beef stew and slow-cooking a beef roast for sandwich meat doesn't work well either.  After 8 hours on low (as recommended) is was 180 on the outside 2" and 120 in the center.

I roasted a steamship round low and slow in the oven tonight at 220F and it came out perfect...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

pr126

I am not familiar with the word “steamship” but I assume it is a cut of meat and not an actual ship of any kind.

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on May 25, 2018, 03:42:03 AM
I am not familiar with the word “steamship” but I assume it is a cut of meat and not an actual ship of any kind.

A steamship round cut of beef is beef round with the rump cut off, a cheaper cut that can sit upright and be easily sliced.  Cut large, it can be as much as 50 pounds and used in buffets that way.  Cut small, it is a good 5 lb cut good for sandwich meat if you have a slicer machine (and I do).  It tends to cook evenly at rare/medium rare which is what I prefer, and 1/2" slices make a decent fake prime rib with au jus  and a baked potato.

But I stick to the sliced-for-sandwich mode.  I now have a years worth of RB sandwich meat frozen in 1/2 pound bags.  And one 1/2" slice for dinner tomorrow.

BTW, here is a recipe for you:

3 chicken thighs IN a roasting pan (not on the slotted cover).  Add 1 lemon wedged, garlic cut to your preference, 2 shallots wedged, salt, pepper, to taste, bake at 400 30 minutes or to 170F.  Set thighs aside in covered bowl to keep warm.  Pour pan juices into fat separater til you can see the difference.  Add juice back in pan.  Save the chicken fat if you use it for other recipes.  Add a cup of green olives, crush lemom wedges into pan.  Heat 5 minutes to reduce juices.  Pour over chicken thighs.  Enjoy.

Yeah, I had serious doubts about the recipe, but it is really very good.  I do remove the chicken skin before serving.

The funny thing is that you will wish you had more olives and shallots. I never would have thought cooked green olives and lemon and chicken would work.

pr126

Olives, lemons (pickled) are good in many recipes.

Sounds like this recipe is North African. See the term “Tagine”.

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on May 25, 2018, 04:19:36 AM
Olives, lemons (pickled) are good in many recipes.

Sounds like this recipe is North African. See the term “Tagine”.

Looked up "tagine".  Interesting.  Might try that with thin-sliced pork loin (and I have some thinking of "scaloppine") with some hot peppers in the mix.  Thanks!

Cavebear

Bought a package of 10 chicken thighs yesterday.  3 are sitting in a brine of cinnamon, salt, pepper, hot sauce, and garlic.  3 are sitting in mustard.  4 are sitting in italian dressing.  I'll bake all of them later today.  Should be interesting.

pr126

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on June 05, 2018, 02:10:08 PM
Bangers and mash:

Curious about what gravy comes from sausage... 

But really, that looks pretty good.  Do you peel the "skin" off the sausages before cooking?  I do.  Do you pan-fry or bake them?  BTW, I often stir fry my beans Sichuan-style.  Finely minced halepeno pepper, garlic, ginger, and a touch of chicken broth and dry sherry.

pr126

Pan fried sausages.
Bisto Favourite Gravy Granules 170G

Here is another: A schnitzel with noodles and spinach.

pr126

Spanish chorizo and potato stew.
Sorry about the cultural appropriation.

Here is how to make it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8p5UtV4GqY

Munch

Do you freeze them and microwave them later?

pr126

Yes, I freeze them, and take it out of the freezer the night before, and heating it in the microwave for 3 minutes.

I have prepared meals for weeks ahead. All home cooking. I know what goes into it.
Batch cooking is very economical, plus you don't have to spend much time in the kitchen each day.

I would never buy ready meals. Too much salt, sugar, and additives.
With diabetes, one has to be careful.

Munch

Well it looks nice, might try it one day.

Also the chief in the videos a dish himself :3