News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Home Baking - Home cooking

Started by pr126, June 17, 2017, 06:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

As part of my diet, I've been eating more oatmeal. My treat is baking up a batch of flapjacks and having one if my sugar levels are a little low, good slow release carbs.

I'll take a picture when I cook a new batch
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on May 02, 2018, 09:11:46 PM
As part of my diet, I've been eating more oatmeal. My treat is baking up a batch of flapjacks and having one if my sugar levels are a little low, good slow release carbs.

I love oatmeal.  Must be part Scottish ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on May 02, 2018, 09:11:46 PM

I hate to tell you this, but "slow-release carbs" ARE the non-starchy ones [http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/list-slowrelease-carbohydrate-foods-1677.html].  The oatmeal and other cereal grains are the fast-release ones.  I had a friend who hated vegetables and constantly had fainting fits.  His blood sugar level was going up and down like a roller coaster.  And he couldn't understand why I didn't have the same problems.  Well, I ate non-starchy foods.  A typical meal here is 3 oz of meat, a large tossed salad, and 2 veggies of different colors (asparagus and beets, beans and tomatoes, broccoli and carrots, etc).  And for dessert, I usually snack on mixed fruit until bedtime. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

Well, I do need a certain amount of carbs to keep my blood sugars stable, but maybe I'll move over to bananas before bed.

This actually is an improvement for me right now though. Tbh i was faced with such a fearful prospect when I had my last HBA (thats a yearly blood test) and it showing my glucose levels rising up and up since 2014 to dangerous levels, and it scared me.

But I also know why. since I'm insulin dependent, I've not been changing my injection sights as often, and not been doing regular blood tests to check how i'm doing, I've just been so lazy with it. Also, an incident happened some years back when I fell asleep and drifted into a hypoglycemic fit, only brought around when my brother broke down my door and forced energy drink down my throat. Sicne that day, i've been so afraid of going to bed at night without doing an injection, and then stuffing my face with like 2 sandwiches, a bowel of cereal and a chocolate bar, every night.

This is why things have gotten bad for me with my glucose control, out of fear of what happened before, I found a pretty fucked up solution thats now more harmful as a result.

but, like I say, i'm working to resolve this now. I'm doing regular blood tests, morning, evening, and sometimes several before bed to make sure my glucose level is stable rather then leaving it to chance. i'm also not stuffing my face at night anymore, but if my sugar levels are low, I've been eating a flapjack to bring it back up.

Its been working since my glucose levels are more stable in the morning now, but I would like to ease myself off eating flapjacks every night and replace it with something better if i need it.

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on May 05, 2018, 09:31:06 PM
Well, I do need a certain amount of carbs to keep my blood sugars stable, but maybe I'll move over to bananas before bed.

This actually is an improvement for me right now though. Tbh i was faced with such a fearful prospect when I had my last HBA (thats a yearly blood test) and it showing my glucose levels rising up and up since 2014 to dangerous levels, and it scared me.

But I also know why. since I'm insulin dependent, I've not been changing my injection sights as often, and not been doing regular blood tests to check how i'm doing, I've just been so lazy with it. Also, an incident happened some years back when I fell asleep and drifted into a hypoglycemic fit, only brought around when my brother broke down my door and forced energy drink down my throat. Sicne that day, i've been so afraid of going to bed at night without doing an injection, and then stuffing my face with like 2 sandwiches, a bowel of cereal and a chocolate bar, every night.

This is why things have gotten bad for me with my glucose control, out of fear of what happened before, I found a pretty fucked up solution thats now more harmful as a result.

but, like I say, i'm working to resolve this now. I'm doing regular blood tests, morning, evening, and sometimes several before bed to make sure my glucose level is stable rather then leaving it to chance. i'm also not stuffing my face at night anymore, but if my sugar levels are low, I've been eating a flapjack to bring it back up.

Its been working since my glucose levels are more stable in the morning now, but I would like to ease myself off eating flapjacks every night and replace it with something better if i need it.

Well, specific medical reasons go outside the usual rules.  My apologies; I thought your flapjacks were misunderstandings by personal preference, not requirements.  "I like" is different from "I need". 

Munch

Tbh I wish I didn't need them. I just spent the last hour and ten minutes bringing my blood sugars down from a kind of high level, to trying to stop them from plummeting to a dangerous low level, all just so I could sleep at night, think I've needed to do 8-9 blood tests just now.
Seems stable now though, gonna try to sleep.

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on May 05, 2018, 10:26:41 PM
Tbh I wish I didn't need them. I just spent the last hour and ten minutes bringing my blood sugars down from a kind of high level, to trying to stop them from plummeting to a dangerous low level, all just so I could sleep at night, think I've needed to do 8-9 blood tests just now.
Seems stable now though, gonna try to sleep.

Sleep peacefully and safely, Munch.  We are very very different, but I wish you well.

Munch

slow cooked Sausage casserole.

cut up and fried some sausages, then cut up some mushrooms, baby new potatoes, celery sticks, red pepper, carrots, tomato flesh without the seeds, threw it in and added some passata and chicken stock, italian seasoning and garlic salt. Cooked for 5 hours then topped with prepared dumplings.

Baruch

That doesn't look like "bangers and mash" to me ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on May 21, 2018, 01:07:37 PM
That doesn't look like "bangers and mash" to me ;-)

there's potatoes and sausages in it, which is the only ingredient for that. Its just sharing the pot with others food groups.

pr126

Looks yummy. Like the dumplings. Sticks to your ribs. :)

Munch

Quote from: pr126 on May 21, 2018, 01:28:12 PM
Looks yummy. Like the dumplings. Sticks to your ribs. :)

totally. I love a slow roast casserole on a cold day.. which is actually weird that its cold this time of year here.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on May 21, 2018, 02:17:33 PM
totally. I love a slow roast casserole on a cold day.. which is actually weird that its cold this time of year here.

President Trump is regulating the Gulf Stream, to send a chill thru Europe ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on May 21, 2018, 06:55:32 PM
President Trump is regulating the Gulf Stream, to send a chill thru Europe ;-)

well he's not having my casserole.

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on May 21, 2018, 12:58:18 PM

slow cooked Sausage casserole.

cut up and fried some sausages, then cut up some mushrooms, baby new potatoes, celery sticks, red pepper, carrots, tomato flesh without the seeds, threw it in and added some passata and chicken stock, italian seasoning and garlic salt. Cooked for 5 hours then topped with prepared dumplings.

5 HOURS???