News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Home Baking - Home cooking

Started by pr126, June 17, 2017, 06:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

DIY prawn cocktail. Shredded lettuce, freshwater prawns, mayo, ketchup, tarragon and sprinkled with paprika

true its not baking, but its food, so why not.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

I would suggest caution before eating that.

AllPurposeAtheist

Getting a good sourdough sponge going is dependent on where you live to a large degree. If you're in a dry climate in a new house you probably won't have a lot of success.
An old house in a moist climate it's much easier.
I made a starter quite some time ago and kept it going for about 2-3 years, but then moved to a nice clean, almost sterile kitchen and it died right away..
There used to be a great article on sourdough in the old versions of the joy of cooking, but the old books are kind of hard to come by.
You can start it with just a pinch of live yeast then let it absorb other wild yeasts from the air, but being in an old house with lots of wild organisms floating around is where the really great flavors can enter from..
I had a bread machine for a day..tasted like crap so I tossed it out and make bread by hand still.
I don't make enough to justify keeping a sourdough sponge going so I keep a jar of yeast in the freezer..
I also don't have teeth so I really can't eat the hard crust of a sourdough..  I miss having teeth to chew with..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

AllPurposeAtheist

Made a bundt cake, chocolate and cream cheese filling with a carmel glaze the other day..
from this recipe.
https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2017/02/16/chocolate-cream-cheese-bundt-cake/

I'll probably make another sooner or later and change up some of the recipe to include some other things.. It's a lot easier to make than it appears. The carmel has a slightly bitter taste I like.. 
You can compare it to a cross between a soft chewy brownie and cheese cake.. And it'll probably stop your heart if you eat too much of it..

AllPurposeAtheist

Crisco will go bad after awhile, but not within a few days or anything. I've had it on the shelf for a few years with no issues. Just make sure you don't dip a dirty spoon in it and don't store it too close to your oven and keep it tightly sealed instead of the factory lid that turns to shit right away.. lol

Cavebear

I have a Fry Baby (small version of a Fry Daddy).  It says to use lard or vegetable shortening (like Crisco) and doesn't say to keep it refrigerated.  I don't and have had no problems so far. 

Well, when you heat the shortening or lard, it gets up to about 375-400F so there really can't be anything dangerous in it.  Self-sterilizing.  Right?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

pr126

Quote from: Cavebear on January 24, 2018, 01:30:39 AM
I have a Fry Baby (small version of a Fry Daddy).  It says to use lard or vegetable shortening (like Crisco) and doesn't say to keep it refrigerated.  I don't and have had no problems so far. 

Well, when you heat the shortening or lard, it gets up to about 375-400F so there really can't be anything dangerous in it.  Self-sterilizing.  Right?
Could it go rancid?

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on January 24, 2018, 01:33:14 AM
Could it go rancid?

According to Wikipedia, rancidification can be both positive and negative.  Some flavors are improved, some not.  But there don't seem to be health problems in highly heated fats and oils.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 24, 2018, 01:37:50 AM
According to Wikipedia, rancidification can be both positive and negative.  Some flavors are improved, some not.  But there don't seem to be health problems in highly heated fats and oils.

There is a whole school of health food people, who are opposed to rancidity, because of free-radical damage.  It isn't just about taste.  Englishmen used to air-cure their meat before there was refrigeration.  Proper prosciuto still is.  Japanese would be the exact opposite of course, everything has to be maximally fresh.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

Made some sourdough today.

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Cavebear

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on February 04, 2018, 08:37:11 PM
Made some sourdough today.

That is sure one great loaf of bread!

pr126

Savoury Cheddar Cheese Scones

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on February 07, 2018, 04:55:53 AM
Savoury Cheddar Cheese Scones

I have recently developed a great fondness for what Safeway calls an "Apple Fritter".  It is a pastry with apple bits, raisins, and cinnamon.  I would like to try making them.  Any suggestions?

pr126

Quote from: Cavebear on February 07, 2018, 05:00:35 AM
I have recently developed a great fondness for what Safeway calls an "Apple Fritter".  It is a pastry with apple bits, raisins, and cinnamon.  I would like to try making them.  Any suggestions?
Look for "Apple Turnover" recipes on Youtube, you can buy ready made rolled out puff pastry.
The rest is easy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGqnOSwvi2Q

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on February 07, 2018, 05:02:58 AM
Look for "Apple Turnover" recipes on Youtube, you can buy ready made rolled out puff pastry.
The rest is easy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGqnOSwvi2Q

The ones I buy are way lumpier and aren't turnovers (more like a small coffee cake) but that sure gets me in the right direction.  Thanks.