News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Home Baking - Home cooking

Started by pr126, June 17, 2017, 06:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pr126

Wild berries clafouti with custard, all sugar-free.

wolf39us

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on November 17, 2017, 01:46:54 AM
Wild berries clafouti with custard, all sugar-free.

Sugar-free custard?  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

pr126

Yes, with artificial sweetener.

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on November 18, 2017, 03:52:45 AM
Yes, with artificial sweetener.

I thought that stuff reacted chemically differently.

pr126

No, it is sold as sugar free in sachets. Just add hot water.
Not the best, but it works for me. My tastebuds are long gone, retired.

Munch

Festive cupcakes!

Chocolate cupcake bases, sugar holly decoration, and white buttercream icing.

Had to figure out how to make buttercream white, and found a surpring but effective method.

http://shewhobakes.co.uk/how-to-make-white-buttercream/

I just used a tiny drop of the stuff, and it caused the yellow tone in the buttercream to dull and make white icing
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on December 18, 2017, 04:41:00 PM

Festive cupcakes!

Chocolate cupcake bases, sugar holly decoration, and white buttercream icing.

Had to figure out how to make buttercream white, and found a surpring but effective method.

http://shewhobakes.co.uk/how-to-make-white-buttercream/

I just used a tiny drop of the stuff, and it caused the yellow tone in the buttercream to dull and make white icing

Great work.  They look vaguely suggestive though.  Keep in mind that I have new reading glasses on order...

Munch

Well, if I wanted suggestive cupcakes, I could try making these.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

pr126

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on December 18, 2017, 05:23:54 PM
Well, if I wanted suggestive cupcakes, I could try making these.

That might be a "before" or and "after".

pr126

Mike Cl

Quote from: pr126 on January 21, 2018, 04:19:47 AM
Sourdough bread

Send some thisw way----hot; I have my own butter!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

You inspired me.  I recently baked two batches of peanut butter cookies.  I used a recipe off the peanut butter jar.  The first batch wasn't baked long enough, but were still good enough to eat them all.  For the second batch, I bought small can of Crisco called for in the recipe,  instead of real butter, and baked them a minute longer.  They were slightly better, but now I've got Crisco that I may never use.  I gave half of them away, because being a bachelor, I don't need that many cookies.  Using a peanut butter cookie recipe from the jar doesn't make me a baker.  I know that.  But it was fun and I made quite a mess.

Years ago there was an excellent baker that opened a small bakery and coffee shop in my small town.  It was an unusual venture for a small town, but my wife and I would stop there on the way to work for coffee and donuts, butter horns, or whatever every morning and hang out with a small crowd of regulars most of whom were there reading the morning paper.  I started having problems with my blood sugar a couple hours after coffee and donuts so I had to cut it out.

Eventually, the baker got divorced, closed down, and moved to a bigger town.  He was missed by many, but he needed a bigger customer base than our town could offer.

One time, he ordered me 200 lbs of corn sugar, which I wanted for brewing beer.  He had a supplier, because it was better for baking, so he just did me a favor.  I was wrestling with a hundred pound bag, and he said, "Here, let me help you." He was a wirey guy and just slung the bag over a shoulder and took it out to my car, and then went back for the second bag.  I felt like a wimp.  One of my coworkers was his golfing buddy and told me he could drive a ball a country mile.  I don't think he ate a lot of his own donuts, but his baked goods were far better than what you could buy at the local chain store, which had their own bakery section and baked their own goods.

When I went to get the corn sugar, he was working away in the back of the shop making cookies.  He would stick a finger into the dough and fling it onto the baking sheet.  Plop... plop... plop, working about as fast as you can read this.  I tried to do that when I baked my peanut butter cookies, but couldn't get it to work.  I couldn't pick up consistent amounts of dough and couldn't fling it accurately to it's place on the cookie sheet.  I'm not a baker.

Should you store Crisco in the refrigerator?  It doesn't say on the can.  Do you just leave an open can unrefrigerated?

pr126

QuoteShould you store Crisco in the refrigerator?  It doesn't say on the can.  Do you just leave an open can unrefrigerated?

I looked it up on Google.
It seems to be a shortening (fat) so I think it has a limited shelf life.
I guess keeping it refrigerated would be OK.