News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Home Baking - Home cooking

Started by pr126, June 17, 2017, 06:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 29, 2019, 08:27:00 PM
This is what I would have done to the first one.  Filled the depression with chocolate pudding (or vanilla pudding if one is daring) and then frosted it with chocolate frosting.
But they all looked good!

I thought about that, but really the depression was just moist like a brownie, not like the chocolate sponge I hoped for ^^.

The first attempt was a recipe by Nigella Lawson, and hers involved a lot more stuff like using horlicks in the mixture. The second attempts was a recipe by Mary Berry, and that didn't require as much but turned out a better sponge. I also cooked it for longer so maybe thats why the first one collapsed.
The balls are maltesers btw. 

my poor mother even broke her diet to have a second helping, I feel guilty now, but won't make a habit of it, just for special occasions
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

trdsf

Thanksgiving was an unalloyed success -- the turkey was wrapped in thick-sliced bacon that had marinated in Crown Royal maple-flavored whiskey for 24 hours.  Holy smokin' snot on a stick, that was tasty.  Evil Twin used King's Hawaiian rolls for the dressing, and it was incredible.  And afterwards, the turkey legs and thighs went into the now-traditional post-Thanksgiving turkey and pumpkin chili.

There are no leftovers.  It was like cartoon termites on wooden furniture; the only thing missing was the sound of a buzz saw.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Munch

My brother's asked me and my mother to Jon his family for Christmas this year. After he left my mum said she kinda more prefers a meal at home since at his we're be needing to socialize with my sister in law's family. So we decided between us we'd have our own private Christmas dinner at hers just the two of us the Sunday before Christmas, then go to my brother's on the day.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on December 03, 2019, 07:21:54 AM
My brother's asked me and my mother to Jon his family for Christmas this year. After he left my mum said she kinda more prefers a meal at home since at his we're be needing to socialize with my sister in law's family. So we decided between us we'd have our own private Christmas dinner at hers just the two of us the Sunday before Christmas, then go to my brother's on the day.

Ham, pot roast, turkey or goose?

My mom would make standing rib roast with yorkshire pudding in the bottom in the beef drippings.  But we did have smoked ham or small whole chickens sometimes.  Mincemeat pie was a devil to make, so mostly we bought pecan pie.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on December 03, 2019, 06:25:41 PM
Ham, pot roast, turkey or goose?

My mom would make standing rib roast with yorkshire pudding in the bottom in the beef drippings.  But we did have smoked ham or small whole chickens sometimes.  Mincemeat pie was a devil to make, so mostly we bought pecan pie.

turkey. I dare say you guys get your fill of turkey in the states with thanksgiving, but its the only time of the year we cook a turkey here, well, that feels like its worth going all out on.
Yep we do yorkshire puddings too, roast potatoes in goose fat, brussel sprouts with seseme oil and bacon lardons and water chestnuts over it.

my sister in law said she's debating on cooking a goose or turkey for christmas day. I've had goose before, its already but very fatty, so unless eaten quick it quickly loses its appeal unlike turkey.

Let me ask you guys this though, so like say my mum wants to have a stay at home christmas dinner at hers on the sunday for just me and her. Her plan is to do a sunday roast then, and save the cold cuts for boxing day (dec 26th) 4 days later where we're invited my brothers family over.
Is that something you'd consider eating? I said to her and my brother, does anyone really want to be eating boxing day cold cuts 4 days after its been cooked? I really don't feel right feeding my nephews cold 4 day old meat. Maybe it can be frozen and reheated?

in any event I'm gonna buy some party food to heat up.

Mike Cl

"Cold cuts" are stuff like salami, baloney, sliced ham, sliced turkey, with any and all cheeses one likes on sandwiches.  Those all will stay good for far more than 4 days--in the frig.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Munch

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 03, 2019, 08:20:12 PM
"Cold cuts" are stuff like salami, baloney, sliced ham, sliced turkey, with any and all cheeses one likes on sandwiches.  Those all will stay good for far more than 4 days--in the frig.

yeah, guess thats the best way and saves buying another turkey. I always make some warmer stuff for the boxing day meal anyway just since I hate a fully cold meal.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Munch on December 03, 2019, 08:39:45 PM
yeah, guess thats the best way and saves buying another turkey. I always make some warmer stuff for the boxing day meal anyway just since I hate a fully cold meal.
Cold cuts (sandwiches--with various breads) and hot soup.  On occasion can be a great meal.  Make 2/3 soups; good thing is that the left over cold cuts and soup can be put into the frig and make great lunches.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Munch

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 03, 2019, 09:51:15 PM
Cold cuts (sandwiches--with various breads) and hot soup.  On occasion can be a great meal.  Make 2/3 soups; good thing is that the left over cold cuts and soup can be put into the frig and make great lunches.

That sounds pretty good, for me a nice turkey, stuffing and cranberry sandwich the day after Christmas for breakfast is so good.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Munch on December 03, 2019, 10:32:52 PM
That sounds pretty good, for me a nice turkey, stuffing and cranberry sandwich the day after Christmas for breakfast is so good.
That did sound good--but I've already had two--Friday and Sat. after Thanksgiving. :)

Gawdzilla Sama

Resisting making parody thread: Home Banking - Home Crooking
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on December 03, 2019, 07:41:00 PM
turkey. I dare say you guys get your fill of turkey in the states with thanksgiving, but its the only time of the year we cook a turkey here, well, that feels like its worth going all out on.
Yep we do yorkshire puddings too, roast potatoes in goose fat, brussel sprouts with seseme oil and bacon lardons and water chestnuts over it.

my sister in law said she's debating on cooking a goose or turkey for christmas day. I've had goose before, its already but very fatty, so unless eaten quick it quickly loses its appeal unlike turkey.

Let me ask you guys this though, so like say my mum wants to have a stay at home christmas dinner at hers on the sunday for just me and her. Her plan is to do a sunday roast then, and save the cold cuts for boxing day (dec 26th) 4 days later where we're invited my brothers family over.
Is that something you'd consider eating? I said to her and my brother, does anyone really want to be eating boxing day cold cuts 4 days after its been cooked? I really don't feel right feeding my nephews cold 4 day old meat. Maybe it can be frozen and reheated?

in any event I'm gonna buy some party food to heat up.

British used to eat bird after the meat had "ripened" ;-(  "brussel sprouts with seseme oil and bacon lardons and water chestnuts over it" ... sounds good.  Yes, I have had duck and pheasant.  Never had goose.  They were too greasy for me.

Yes, we were stuck eating turkey and dressing sandwiches for a week after Thanksgiving.  Cold turkey holds well, you can't quit cold turkey!  Most men like cold pizza.  How about serving your nephews day old cold pizza? ;-)  Actually, leftovers were only offered to our own family, not guests.

You are not supposed to freeze cooked meat, to be reheated later.  Just keep in regular fridge and don't let it sit too long.  You are only freezing the germs.  Only freeze fresh raw meat, then thaw and cook.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Frozen cooked meat is sold in every grocery store around here. "Heat-and-eat" is nothing new. Stop making shit up.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 04, 2019, 08:12:29 AM
Frozen cooked meat is sold in every grocery store around here. "Heat-and-eat" is nothing new. Stop making shit up.

I will accept my mother's advice, long before you silly.  If the meat is professionally managed (and it isn't at home) and inspected by FDA, you can avoid unplanned salmonella poisoning (no thawing from slaughterhouse to your fridge).  Tell that to my mom, years ago, when we got frozen hamburger in California (small town market) where the power had gone out, then the meat thawed, then they got the power back.  That thaw even in a closed area, let the germs already in the meat, to multiply.  The hamburger was an unnatural color!

Next you will be saying, chicken doesn't need to be pre-microwaved, before you barbecue it (barbecue of frozen or thawed raw chicken isn't completely cooked thru, if you only barbecue it (cooking is skin deep).  Many people die every year, from uncareful handling of food, particularly raw meat and raw eggs (Caesar salad dressing, home made ice cream).  To avoid listeria, people are even not eating raw greens (cooking it, no cold salad) or are microwaving luncheon meat (it is precooked).  Listeria also being a bacteria.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

If you're not educated your food can kill you, I agree.
PZ Myers