Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Home Baking - Home cooking

Started by pr126, June 17, 2017, 06:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on June 11, 2018, 05:46:33 AM
Oh, stop it. I am still crying.

So, PR, tell me more about the sausages with gravy.  I've never tried that.  I think I asked if you removed the casings before cooking (I do) and am wondering if you do the same.  And what kind of gravy do you make and how?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 11, 2018, 06:38:01 AM
  I'm actually sorry.  I didn't realize my post was ON the home baking thread (sometimes you just miss the name of the thread)  I would not have posted it otherwise.

You "could" delete the offending post.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on June 11, 2018, 06:46:06 AM
You "could" delete the offending post.
We call such people "deleters" and brand them as cowards.  Forum protocol demands that once you make a written Faux pas, embarrass yourself, or say something really stupid, you must leave it there in perpetuity for everyone to laugh at or trigger themselves.  You cannot apologize unless you want to brand yourself as a loser, and you must defend the post in question by doubling down with comments that are usually twice as stupid as the original.   

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on June 11, 2018, 07:34:59 AM
We call such people "deleters" and brand them as cowards.  Forum protocol demands that once you make a written Faux pas, embarrass yourself, or say something really stupid, you must leave it there in perpetuity for everyone to laugh at or trigger themselves.  You cannot apologize unless you want to brand yourself as a loser, and you must defend the post in question by doubling down with comments that are usually twice as stupid as the original.

You do realize that wouldn't bother Baruch, who makes inane comments many times daily...

But yes, I made a poor statement and it stands, with apologies...

Munch

Alls good then. Politics are divisive as we seen enough of on this website, but cooking is a pure thing I've found brings people together from all across nations and societies, so just wanna keep the idea of cooking that way.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on June 11, 2018, 09:07:00 AM
Alls good then. Politics are divisive as we seen enough of on this website, but cooking is a pure thing I've found brings people together from all across nations and societies, so just wanna keep the idea of cooking that way.

I would never desire to mess up a cooking thread. 

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on June 11, 2018, 07:34:59 AM

Cavebear "deleting" would reduce his requisite daily narcissism feed (we all do it).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

pr126

QuoteSo, PR, tell me more about the sausages with gravy.  I've never tried that.  I think I asked if you removed the casings before cooking (I do) and am wondering if you do the same.  And what kind of gravy do you make and how?
No, I don't remove the skin, it is very thin, but prick it a few times to stop it exploding.
Never fry sausages naked!

The gravy is in a jar in a powder form.
One heaped teaspoon and boiling water, mix with a small whisk a minute or so and pour. It is the lazy way, I know.  But buying ready gravy is uneconomical.

I do make chicken stock proper with bones and vegetables and freeze it in containers for other things.

Munch

I had a BBQ on sunday, chicken thighs and sausages. The chicken was really nice, tender, marinaded with a mix of paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, garlic, salt and pepper and oil, those came out amazing.
The sausages however, not so much, maybe it was the brand I got, but the skins were really thick, kind of chewy. The inside meat was fine, just the skin was chewy.

they were these:

might try another kind and see if it was just these sausages.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

pr126

I buy the Cumberland Sausages.
Tescos, because they are next door, well the other side of the car park. 

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on June 11, 2018, 01:10:43 PM
No, I don't remove the skin, it is very thin, but prick it a few times to stop it exploding.
Never fry sausages naked!

The gravy is in a jar in a powder form.
One heaped teaspoon and boiling water, mix with a small whisk a minute or so and pour. It is the lazy way, I know.  But buying ready gravy is uneconomical.

I do make chicken stock proper with bones and vegetables and freeze it in containers for other things.

I always "skin" my sausages and then seal the cut by hand.   Frying them "naked" works quite well in a good cast iron pan.  Try it.

I buy low sodium beef and chicken pastes in jars.  I don't miss the salt much after all these years.But that just gives me broth so I have to mix it with flour or cornstarch And that takes time to darken properly..  I envy you the actual gravy powder.  I've never seen that here.  Yeah, I can buy gravy in a jar, but you are right, it isn't cheap.   Or especially flavorful.  I always add some of that paste anyway.

I have to admit, I am getting a real desire for some hot italian sausages with potatoes and gravy.  And a good tossed salad with italian dressing.  With some Zinfandel wine.  And a tollhouse cookie bar and fresh fruit for dessert .

pr126

Hey, I didn't mean the sausages naked as cooked without skin. I meant the cook being naked. :0)

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on June 11, 2018, 02:28:34 PM
Hey, I didn't mean the sausages naked as cooked without skin. I meant the cook being naked. :0)

Ah, you are thinking of Jamie Oliver "The Naked Chef"...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Naked_Chef

pr126

Quote from: Cavebear on June 11, 2018, 02:30:44 PM
Ah, you are thinking of Jamie Oliver "The Naked Chef"...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Naked_Chef
No, frying sausages in your underwear. You will soon put some clothes on when hot oil splatters on your body.

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on June 11, 2018, 02:36:53 PM
No, frying sausages in your underwear. You will soon put some clothes on.

Naked came I upon this dusty world, and naked I shall cook! Though the cats and Ladies play merry with me, I give no second look.   Act 3 scene 2.