Main Menu

Home Baking - Home cooking

Started by pr126, June 17, 2017, 06:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on July 03, 2017, 10:17:32 AM
Another batch of my favorite treats

Here it is how it's done

Nice stuff.  I prefer my bread machine bread.  I use beer instead of water, and add a 1/2 tbls each of onion and garlic powder and a tbls of oregano.   Neighbors practically come off the street when they smell it.  Sometimes I add a 1/2 tbls of red pepper flakes for a zap.  I brought 3 loaves to a Thanksgiving Dinner and never got  slice myself.

But I can't make pizza dough worth a damn!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

pr126

I have bought a bread making machine many years ago. Sold it after the second loaf.
The results were unacceptable. The loaf was heavy, dense almost like a house brick.

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on July 07, 2017, 01:01:15 AM
I have bought a bread making machine many years ago. Sold it after the second loaf.
The results were unacceptable. The loaf was heavy, dense almost like a house brick.

Bad bread machine or possibly not following the recipes.  My dad had the same complaint.  He LOVED my bread machine bread.  But when I told him how I tweaked mine he refused to follow my recipe.  He didn't want to use beer instead of water.  He didn't want to add onion and garlic powder and oregano.  He didn't want to use bread machine yeast.  And then complained "my" recipe didn't work, LOL!

What bread machine do you have?  And tell me the recipe; I might be able to help with it.  What have you got to lose?

pr126

I do not have a bread machine. Doing sourdough the “old style” by hand.
The dough made a day before baking.

But thanks for the offer.

I only use three ingredients. Flour, water and salt.

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on July 11, 2017, 08:06:01 AM
I do not have a bread machine. Doing sourdough the “old style” by hand.
The dough made a day before baking.

But thanks for the offer.

I only use three ingredients. Flour, water and salt.

Flour, water, and salt makes a salty hard paste for sure. No yeast?  Well, salt does kill yeast, so I understand that. 

Even handmade, try this:  3 cups bread flour, 1.5 tbls olive oil, 1.5 tsp salt, 9 oz beer (any kind) warm and flat is best, 2 tsp yeast (though I'm not sure the difference between bread machine yeast and dry packaged), a tsp of onion powder, a tsp of garlic powder, and a tbls oregano.  Mix and knead it any way you like.  When it rises, bake.  I can't tell you how to bake it, I use the machine.

Try it and tell my you don't like it better...

pr126

Sourdough means you make your own natural yeast with just flour and water..
I have a starter months old, keep feedeng it.

https://youtu.be/QrLlPZjhABs

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on July 11, 2017, 08:39:02 AM
Sourdough means you make your own natural yeast with just flour and water..
I have a starter months old, keep feedeng it.

https://youtu.be/QrLlPZjhABs

You don't make your own natural yeast for sourdough.  You get it from a starter batch or from the air in a new one.  That is both iffy and too much effort to maintain for me.   But if that works for you, enjoy!

pr126

You are correct. I made a starter, and I keep feeding it once a week. It is kept in the fridge.
Works for me. I bake one loaf a week.

Here is how I do it:

https://youtu.be/APEavQg8rMw

Munch

Was with my boyfriends. I cooked them a chicken casserole.

chicken thighs covered in flour and fried lightly, thrown in with carrots, celery, new potatoes, peas, shallots, stock and stuffing balls.
Considering my boys both live off a diet of take out and easy meals, I was so happy to give them a proper slap up feast.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mike Cl

Quote from: Munch on July 19, 2017, 09:15:17 PM
Was with my boyfriends. I cooked them a chicken casserole.

chicken thighs covered in flour and fried lightly, thrown in with carrots, celery, new potatoes, peas, shallots, stock and stuffing balls.
Considering my boys both live off a diet of take out and easy meals, I was so happy to give them a proper slap up feast.
Wow!  Looks and sounds good.  Pass me some buttered bread, please!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Needs more carrots, LOL!  And, those aren't cauliflowers?

pr126

aitm

tried to make some bread from scratch. Flavor was good, a bit heavy though and didn't cut well. Appears it probably needed to be kneaded more. The recipe suggested 2-3 minutes, but most reviews I saw were around 10. 10? Hell the wife doesn't get that much attention....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

pr126

Quote from: aitm on July 26, 2017, 07:38:53 PM
tried to make some bread from scratch. Flavor was good, a bit heavy though and didn't cut well. Appears it probably needed to be kneaded more. The recipe suggested 2-3 minutes, but most reviews I saw were around 10. 10? Hell the wife doesn't get that much attention....

You can make bread without any hard work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eFhk9EVnlY

aitm

Good stuff PR...I'll let you know next week.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust