News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

questions and answers anyone?

Started by Drich0150, June 15, 2017, 05:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fencerider

Drich says that the people who do not want to live forever will die. What a stupid thing to say. Belief in the Drich god has nothing to do with whether or not someone wants to live forever. So what happens to the billion plus people that never knew about Drich god; I guess they chose to die too. ... and why do you keep saying they all go to hell when the Bible tells us that hell isn't forever (Rev 20:14 death and hell were cast into the lake of fire -Gehena)?

Should we all be afraid of all the Egyptian and Greek and Ethiopean gods we never heard of?
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on July 22, 2017, 05:22:08 PM
Drich says that the people who do not want to live forever will die. What a stupid thing to say. Belief in the Drich god has nothing to do with whether or not someone wants to live forever. So what happens to the billion plus people that never knew about Drich god; I guess they chose to die too. ... and why do you keep saying they all go to hell when the Bible tells us that hell isn't forever (Rev 20:14 death and hell were cast into the lake of fire -Gehena)?

Should we all be afraid of all the Egyptian and Greek and Ethiopean gods we never heard of?

Rev 20:14 is poetic.  Death and Hell are demons, not places.  Gehenna is a valley near Jerusalem, where the trash and corpses of Gentiles were burned.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: fencerider on July 22, 2017, 05:22:08 PM

Well, since all deities are equally likely to exist, disobeying any of their rules could a sure way to eternal punishment.  Which makes it all pretty trickey.  And what if there are 2 of them?  You can't possible follow both of their rules unless they are identical and then there would be just that one.  But then there is another over in Scandinavia and yet another in India, etc. 

So then one says die and come to me and another says there is eternal recycling.  A 5th that says kill my enemies.  Like a deity couldn't with a wave of its hand?  They are all too silly to consider.

What if there was a real deity that was a slice of bread and everyone who ate a sandwich was cursed forever?  LOL!  What if the deity is a donut hole?  You could be cursed for NOT believing in NOTHING. I crack me up sometimes!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 22, 2017, 05:33:46 PM
Well, since all deities are equally likely to exist, disobeying any of their rules could a sure way to eternal punishment.  Which makes it all pretty trickey.  And what if there are 2 of them?  You can't possible follow both of their rules unless they are identical and then there would be just that one.  But then there is another over in Scandinavia and yet another in India, etc. 

So then one says die and come to me and another says there is eternal recycling.  A 5th that says kill my enemies.  Like a deity couldn't with a wave of its hand?  They are all too silly to consider.

What if there was a real deity that was a slice of bread and everyone who ate a sandwich was cursed forever?  LOL!  What if the deity is a donut hole?  You could be cursed for NOT believing in NOTHING. I crack me up sometimes!

Donut holes sold separately!  Obviously the bear headed Egyptian god will favor you.  He was never popular, since desert deities don't do well with heavy fur.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

Quote from: Cavebear on July 22, 2017, 05:33:46 PM
What if there was a real deity that was a slice of bread and everyone who ate a sandwich was cursed forever?  LOL!
I think almost everyone has eaten a slice of bread. That explains why god doesn't show his face around here; except to those that merely offended by eating a piece of bread torn off a bun.

What is the proper way to worship a slice of bread? Do you put strawberry jam on an altar? or grape jelly? or butter?
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

trdsf

Quote from: Colanth on July 22, 2017, 05:20:36 PM
So Pilate, who caused Jesus' death (no one did anything without the consent of the governor) was a saint but, until pretty recently, Jews were reviled for killing Jesus.  Christianity - the religion that's only as good as its last rewrite.
Interesting question that -- if Pilate had said, "Fuck this, no, he hasn't done anything to deserve the death penalty!", or had Judas said, "no, wait, I'm not doing this", there's no Passion, no crucifixion, no resurrection, no Christianity.

I once asked a priest why, since without Judas' betrayal there was no crucifixion and therefore no resurrection, Judas wasn't actually doing the will of god.

He mumbled and hemmed and hawed a lot, and fundamentally fell back on 'it's a mystery'.

I didn't go to church on my own initiative after that.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on July 24, 2017, 01:26:04 AM
Interesting question that -- if Pilate had said, "Fuck this, no, he hasn't done anything to deserve the death penalty!", or had Judas said, "no, wait, I'm not doing this", there's no Passion, no crucifixion, no resurrection, no Christianity.

I once asked a priest why, since without Judas' betrayal there was no crucifixion and therefore no resurrection, Judas wasn't actually doing the will of god.

He mumbled and hemmed and hawed a lot, and fundamentally fell back on 'it's a mystery'.

I didn't go to church on my own initiative after that.
Yes, I've thought of that point many, many times. 

I made the mistake once of going to see The Passion of Christ with a christian friend/co-worker.  I knew at the time it would be a bad idea but for some reason agreed to it.  After the movie he had to ask me what I thought.  I asked him why Jesus/God was so upset when he prayed to himself in the garden about the his 'passion'.  And I asked why Judas was the 'bad guy' when god set it up so that he had to be the bad guy--no choice.  (In my view he is the biggest victim in this mess)  He did not like those questions and mostly ducked them.  Our relationship did take a hit, I'm sorry to say.  Never do that again.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 24, 2017, 10:49:53 AM

I made the mistake once of going to see The Passion of Christ with a christian friend/co-worker.  I knew at the time it would be a bad idea but for some reason agreed to it.  After the movie he had to ask me what I thought.  I asked him why Jesus/God was so upset when he prayed to himself in the garden about the his 'passion'.  And I asked why Judas was the 'bad guy' when god set it up so that he had to be the bad guy--no choice.  (In my view he is the biggest victim in this mess)  He did not like those questions and mostly ducked them.  Our relationship did take a hit, I'm sorry to say.  Never do that again.

The Bible even says that the devil entered Judas during their Last Supper. He didn't even have a choice. The devil literally made him do it.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 24, 2017, 10:49:53 AM

The seams in the story-line were never ironed out.  This happens with poor screen plays too.  Like I pointed out ... in the Gospel of Judas, Judas is the good guy.  In some forms of Christianity, Pilate is a Christian martyr (afterward).  There isn't just one story line prior to Constantine burning the other books.

And yes, traditionally, Jews, not Romans, were blamed ... but then that is what the Romans would have you believe.  Even the culpable Jews (Sanhedrin) were quislings of the Romans.  Common Jews are generally portrayed as pro-Jesus.  So it was a class thing.  Also the centurion at the cross is made to say "he was the son of a god".  Again, Roman authorities are the bad guys, not the common man.  The stuff that happened in Judea in the first century, was a combination civil war, uprising and religious revolution.  Think Syria today.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: fencerider on July 24, 2017, 01:24:26 AM
I think almost everyone has eaten a slice of bread. That explains why god doesn't show his face around here; except to those that merely offended by eating a piece of bread torn off a bun.

What is the proper way to worship a slice of bread? Do you put strawberry jam on an altar? or grape jelly? or butter?

The proper way to worship a slice of bread depends (1st) on the bread (it must be very good and well baked).  Then it depends on the matter being applied to the slice of bread.  Not just any cheap jam or jelly will do.  Nor cheap margarine. 

The proper slice of bread should be lightly toasted for firmness and a slight crunch, with something on it to give a flavor to the tongue (and therefore the brain) while also not diminishing the breadness itself. 

I have seen philistines (and I know I am using the term incorrectly) slather horrible substances thickly over it.  A half inch of cheap grape jelly, and/or a thick layer of creamy peanut butter, and dare I say even Nutella or Vegemite...  It numbs the mind with horror!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!