I heard you guys were looking for a new Christian to help answer any questions

Started by Drich0150, June 15, 2017, 05:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Drich0150 on June 16, 2017, 12:43:17 PM
hello popeye! I see you are a man of great importance here..

hope you tell the other bosses that I am not a bad guy, and can be a source of fun and entertainment
He's too polite to say that you're full of shit on a good day.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Drich0150

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 16, 2017, 02:19:32 PM
He's too polite to say that you're full of shit on a good day.
Pop's and I have simply been around the block a few times hard and can respect each other.
1Thess 5:21 Question all things and hold on to what is Good. This is a charge meant for those who think themselves Christian. We are to question the foundational as well as the questionable, and hold on to the truth. Because I've done this my answers may be... Different than the typical Christian

Blackleaf

Quote from: Drich0150 on June 16, 2017, 01:49:50 PM
Ok then who is the chosen one? You know the one the Jedi prophesy said would bring balance to the force?

The prophecy was misread. As I understand it, the balance was made between two exceptional Jedi, not one. One chose the path of the Dark Side while the other chose the path of the Light. The "balance" was a sort of pendulum swing.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Unbeliever

Quote from: Drich0150 on June 16, 2017, 12:07:17 PM
which is your misconception I offered to clear up.

In your sig you sign out with the Epicurean Paradox. this is also know as 'the problem with evil'

that is what I offered to resolve with proper understanding of the God of the bible.

You're here to offer us a theodicy?

:evil:
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

"Truth is the state of being true." - as in good character?  Or in terms of facts vs fiction?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

aitm

As a caring loving human, I could never "worship" a god that demands babies be killed and little girls be raped....but far more than that..I give no fucks for a piece of shit that would worship said piece of shit god or its opinion of said piece of shit.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mike Cl

Quote from: Drich0150 on June 16, 2017, 12:07:17 PM
which is your misconception I offered to clear up.

In your sig you sign out with the Epicurean Paradox. this is also know as 'the problem with evil'

that is what I offered to resolve with proper understanding of the God of the bible.
I don't have any misconception on this issue.  You misconceive my misconception.  Since both your god and your bible are fictions, it is had to have misconceptions about them.  You god is your creator and thus the creator of evil; the only thing with that power--to create anything.  You, my friend, are misconceived.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Drich0150 on June 16, 2017, 01:56:28 PM
Sin anything not permitted by the expressed will/law of God.

Evil is the desire to commit or remain in sin

Free will is an ancient greek construct and not a biblical doctrine. The bible says the oppsite in fact. (we are slaves who have been given a choice.)

The Bible represents or is defined as a closed cannon series of books and letters concerning God and his ultimate plan of salvation and where this earth is going..

God is the alpha and omega the beginning and end to all things. meaning he is the ultimate authority on everything spanning creation.

God is also a title and not a specific deity name. as in:
God the Father God the Son and God the Holy SPirit.

Three deity one God.

Truth is the state of being true.
Who gets to decide all these as definitions?  You?  Just because you make a pronouncement about what a sin is, does not make it so.  How do you know that sin even exists?  As far as I'm concerned you have only piggy-backed on other theists.  And they had no proof of any of their claims, either.  A belief is not proof.  Sincere faith is not proof of anything.  Your god is a fiction; there is simply no physical or empirical evidence to support the an actual god of any kind. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Unfortunately all religion that isn't based on direct experience (of a sort) with deity, is second hand, or authoritarianism.

Until you have an uncanny encounter like Peter, as it says in the Latin "Quo vadis, Domine?"
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Drich0150 on June 16, 2017, 01:56:28 PM
Sin anything not permitted by the expressed will/law of God.

Evil is the desire to commit or remain in sin

Free will is an ancient greek construct and not a biblical doctrine. The bible says the oppsite in fact. (we are slaves who have been given a choice.)

The Bible represents or is defined as a closed cannon series of books and letters concerning God and his ultimate plan of salvation and where this earth is going..

God is the alpha and omega the beginning and end to all things. meaning he is the ultimate authority on everything spanning creation.

God is also a title and not a specific deity name. as in:
God the Father God the Son and God the Holy SPirit.

Three deity one God.

Truth is the state of being true.

I could offer others…

Sin is the failure to obey a bemused human religious leader’s commands.

Evil is sinning (see above)

Free will is the actions of individuals with brains (not everyone, apparently, has one).

The Bible was written by people who lived long after the events they wrote about and without evidence of any sort.  I will even add that much of the bible is taken from the myths of older cultures, sometimes hilariously badly.

God is the conception of superstitious and easily frightened nomadic peoples .  The prehistoric peoples had gods in every tree river and field, the ancient villagers had fewer with some duties, the more modern peoples have few or one.  Next step is none.  One fewer each time.

Physics does well enough for the creation of our current universe. 

If “God” is a title, should that be “Mr God”, “Ms God” or “It”?  And BTW, you can refer to me as “Supreme Commander”.  SC for short; I don’t mind…

Where is “God The Daughter”? 

Ah the Trinity.  The Tripartite Committee of the paranoid’s fears.

Truth IS the state of being true.  As Short IS the state of being short.  Be still, my beating heart!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Drich0150 on June 16, 2017, 12:43:17 PM
hello popeye! I see you are a man of great importance here..

hope you tell the other bosses that I am not a bad guy, and can be a source of fun and entertainment

I already went to bat for you, Dirch. Try to make me proud.

FYI here is the rule you are at risk of running afoul of.

Quote3. Proselytizing (attempts to convert people to a religion/belief system by means of preaching) is allowed as long as intelligent discourse follows, and as long as it is not spam. Repeatedly posting verses from your favourite holy book as “evidence” of your favourite deity is not considered intelligent discourse and can result in thread locking and, eventually, a ban. Please note that most members here are former believers and we’ve all heard the usual pro-religion arguments (Kalaam, Pascal’s wager, irreducible complexity, etc.) hundreds of times. If you want to convince us, please at least try to come out with something original.

Assertions that you understand the Bible and we don't doesn't meet our intelligent discourse standard without an explanation of why you understand it better than we do. You know you're right doesn't really cut it either. Continuing to assert the same thing over and over is spam. I'd like to see you stick around because I think we could use a few more dissenting opinions, but you need to pay heed to rule number 3. If you think you are going to have a problem with that I suggest you avoid the subject and contribute to the community in other ways.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Drich0150

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 16, 2017, 07:16:41 PM
Who gets to decide all these as definitions?  You? 
Bible teach/God
Just because you make a pronouncement about what a sin is, does not make it so.
Kind does, if we are speaking contextually concerning the God of the bible, the bible itself or Christianity or even Judaism described in the bible. Outside of that parameter you can make u what ever definition you like. If however 'we' are talking about the bible that is the definition we will be using.

QuoteHow do you know that sin even exists?
Sin is not a noun if that is what you are asking. However sin is indeed a quantifiable 'moral' precept as it can be defined, and applied to all human behavior. as such sin exists.
  As far as I'm concerned you have only piggy-backed on other theists. [/quotes] and examples lease.

QuoteAnd they had no proof of any of their claims, either.
maybe you just do not understand how 'proof' works or maybe you are just not able to identify it.. For example can you describe what type of 'proof you are looking for?' can you give me a set of defining parameters so that I may satify your definition of the word 'proof'. If you can't provide any parameters then how will you know if I can provide proof or not? meaning if you can't identify proof how will you recognize it when it is presented?

QuoteA belief is not proof.
no belief supports proof. if you want proof just take a step back and examine what it is I believe and why.

QuoteSincere faith is not proof of anything.
not much on faith either. thankfully God has a plan for people who are of little faith.

QuoteYour god is a fiction; there is simply no physical or empirical evidence to support the an actual god of any kind.
actually I think you just described your experience with God...

My experience was quite different.
1Thess 5:21 Question all things and hold on to what is Good. This is a charge meant for those who think themselves Christian. We are to question the foundational as well as the questionable, and hold on to the truth. Because I've done this my answers may be... Different than the typical Christian

Blackleaf

Euthyphro Dilemma: Is what is moral commanded by God because is it moral, or is it moral because it is commanded by God? In other words, are good and evil objective standards that God happens aligns himself with, or are good and evil defined by God alone?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Quote from: Drich0150 on June 19, 2017, 11:39:17 AM
Bible teach/GodKind does, if we are speaking contextually concerning the God of the bible, the bible itself or Christianity or even Judaism described in the bible. Outside of that parameter you can make u what ever definition you like. If however 'we' are talking about the bible that is the definition we will be using.

Sin is not a noun if that is what you are asking. However sin is indeed a quantifiable 'moral' precept as it can be defined, and applied to all human behavior. as such sin exists. maybe you just do not understand how 'proof' works or maybe you are just not able to identify it.. For example can you describe what type of 'proof you are looking for?' can you give me a set of defining parameters so that I may satify your definition of the word 'proof'. If you can't provide any parameters then how will you know if I can provide proof or not? meaning if you can't identify proof how will you recognize it when it is presented?

no belief supports proof. if you want proof just take a step back and examine what it is I believe and why.
not much on faith either. thankfully God has a plan for people who are of little faith.
actually I think you just described your experience with God...

My experience was quite different.
A few quick notes.  I have not had experience with god, since god is like Bugs Bunny.  I have not had experience with him, either.  As far as that goes, you have not had experience with god--just your belief that god must exist and therefore does exist.  God is still a fiction.  And you cannot prove otherwise--nobody can.