News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

GOP Baseball Practice

Started by SGOS, June 15, 2017, 11:59:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-illinois-congressman-virginia-shooting-20170614-story.html

From an interview with Rep. Rodney Davis of Illinois, playing catcher for the GOP team:

"I believe there is such a hatefulness in what we see in American politics and policy discussions right now … on social media and the 24-hour news cycle. This has got to stop.

"We can disagree on how to govern â€" that's what makes this country great," he said. "I think Republicans and Democrats need to use this day today to stand together and say, 'Stop, let's work together, let's get things done. We can have our differences, but let's not let it lead to such hate.'"

The lawmaker told the Tribune he has seen social media posts attributed to the gunman, and "he didn't look like he was too keen on Republican policies."

U.S. Rep. Adam Kinzinger of Channahon in Will County, who has played on the GOP baseball team in the past, joined Davis and other lawmakers in lamenting the ugly tone of today's politics.

This hits the nail on the head, but I think this is something that should have been said a long time ago.  I'm also a little skeptical that politicians can avoid fanning the fires of hate when it serves their interests.

I associate today's hateful politics with the introduction of "hate" radio, which started 30 years ago when the right wing turned fanatics like Rush Limbaugh into national celebrities.  The GOP had found a voice in the media.  And while I think Rep Rodney Davis is sincere, I'm worried that it might be but a momentary emotional response to the recognition of his own mortality.  Politicians on both sides of the isle have done little to promote civility in politics, and have made the problem even worse.

Still, Congress is a place to start, but I'm not expecting a serious change in national attitudes either.  And now with the institutionalization of hateful politics as the norm, the inertia of the environment will carry it forward, as voters have been trained to respond in kind.  There has always been a fine line between hate and violence.  We have been standing at the door for a long time.  A crackpot just opened the door.

Baruch

Put them all in a arena, like gladiators.  If any survive, their proposed legislation gets to be voted on ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgJetx1PjYo

Gives a new definition to majority whip ... I think when the current shooting victim recovers, he should do this to Democrats.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

fencerider

Quote from: Baruch on June 15, 2017, 01:01:07 PM
Put them all in a arena, like gladiators.  If any survive, their proposed legislation gets to be voted on ;-)
hmmm you better like my bill cause if you don't I can kick your butt

Congress doesnt live in the real world. To them its all about the perks of the job and not the consequences of what they pass. I predicted an incident would happen 3 or 4 years ago. It won't be the last time either. As long as Congress is kissin Wall st ass and screwin the people it will keep getting worse until they either stop or there is another Revolution
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on June 17, 2017, 11:20:23 AM
hmmm you better like my bill cause if you don't I can kick your butt

Congress doesnt live in the real world. To them its all about the perks of the job and not the consequences of what they pass. I predicted an incident would happen 3 or 4 years ago. It won't be the last time either. As long as Congress is kissin Wall st ass and screwin the people it will keep getting worse until they either stop or there is another Revolution

Rumor is ... the target had made several enemies in Congress and elsewhere in the government ... MKULTRA strikes again.  The doctor who "treated" Seth Rich unsuccessfully is the same doctor treating the Congressman who was shot.  What happens in the Mafia, stays in the Mafia (at least since Kennedy in 61).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

I saw a phone cam video of the shooting yesterday.  Sorry, I can't find it now.  You couldn't see anything on the video, as the guy was lying down filming through the fence, while wildly moving the camera about but never actually filming anything.  I was surprised at all the gun shots, however.  I dunno, maybe a 50 to 100 over a 10 minute period.  I'm surprised so few were actually shot with that much shooting going on.  He must have been just taking pot shots at hiding places.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on June 17, 2017, 12:09:56 PM
I saw a phone cam video of the shooting yesterday.  Sorry, I can't find it now.  You couldn't see anything on the video, as the guy was lying down filming through the fence, while wildly moving the camera about but never actually filming anything.  I was surprised at all the gun shots, however.  I dunno, maybe a 50 to 100 over a 10 minute period.  I'm surprised so few were actually shot with that much shooting going on.  He must have been just taking pot shots at hiding places.

MKULTRA agents have to suicide, or be suicided like Oswald ... to prevent investigation.  And none of them are as proficient as Jason Bourne.  Once again, Hollywood is fake, fake, fake.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

The actual fuck are you rambling about?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

The Congressional baseball practice shooting will have no practical effect.  Extreme partisanship will return in days as if nothing happened. 

The Democrats will blame guns and the Republicans will blame immigrants.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on June 17, 2017, 04:54:36 PM
The actual fuck are you rambling about?

You need to read some history.  Not the child kind or the fake kind.  The government is serious business, people routinely die from it, particularly if you at a ME wedding.  A genius general in the Pentagon wants to send 20,000 more of our people, some of whom I know, to Afghanistan.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

It has already happened.  The Georgia Republicans are airing an ad claiming that Democrats applauded the shooting of Republicans.   And it's not the first time.  When Arizona Congresswoman Gabby Giffords was shot in 2011, I heard republican commentators and a couple of republican congressmen saying things like "well, there were too many liberals in Congress anyway", and "could have aimed better".

This has to stop.  The fanatics have to be pushed to the fringes.  When Rep Steve Scalise was shot a few days ago, Democrats and Republicans alike gathered together.  No word of approval was spoken on any liberal talk show or by any Democratic Congressperson. 

The fanatic and crazed hatred is all going one way from one side.  We can't go on like that.  The Republican officials have to stop feeding the crazies in their base.

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on June 20, 2017, 05:36:17 AM
It has already happened.  The Georgia Republicans are airing an ad claiming that Democrats applauded the shooting of Republicans.   And it's not the first time.  When Arizona Congresswoman Gabby Giffords was shot in 2011, I heard republican commentators and a couple of republican congressmen saying things like "well, there were too many liberals in Congress anyway", and "could have aimed better".

This has to stop.  The fanatics have to be pushed to the fringes.  When Rep Steve Scalise was shot a few days ago, Democrats and Republicans alike gathered together.  No word of approval was spoken on any liberal talk show or by any Democratic Congressperson. 

The fanatic and crazed hatred is all going one way from one side.  We can't go on like that.  The Republican officials have to stop feeding the crazies in their base.

As I said in my first post:
  I'm also a little skeptical that politicians can avoid fanning the fires of hate when it serves their interests.

I associate today's hateful politics with the introduction of "hate" radio, which started 30 years ago when the right wing turned fanatics like Rush Limbaugh into national celebrities.  The GOP had found a voice in the media.  And while I think Rep Rodney Davis is sincere, I'm worried that it might be but a momentary emotional response to the recognition of his own mortality.  Politicians on both sides of the isle have done little to promote civility in politics, and have made the problem even worse.

Rodney Davis might be onto something, but there's too much value in milking the victim card for his colleagues to pass up.  Fan the fires.  Get people pissed off, and collect your paycheck.  There's just too much to be gained by dividing the country Americans vs. Americans.

Cavebear

Something to think about here.  The Republican Congressmen called for more security for Congressmen.  But they keep pushing for more open gun ownership in general.  Why do only THEY need more security?  Shouldn't I have a bit more myself? 

According to the Republicans, they should just be packing more heat themselves.  Isn't what they say everyone should do?  I mean, from their logic, they should have been armed on the field and shot the attacker Clint Eastwood style.

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on June 20, 2017, 06:35:10 AM
According to the Republicans, they should just be packing more heat themselves.  Isn't what they say everyone should do?  I mean, from their logic, they should have been armed on the field and shot the attacker Clint Eastwood style.
Well, even with one of those tight across the back slings, it's still a little hard to bat with an AK 47, but there is no reason not to wear a well fitted shoulder holster, with a smaller caliber pistol in easy reach.  Yeah, I know; It's not ideal, but as a minimum, an American should be armed at all times.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on June 20, 2017, 06:46:44 AM
Well, even with one of those tight across the back slings, it's still a little hard to bat with an AK 47, but there is no reason not to wear a well fitted shoulder holster, with a smaller caliber pistol in easy reach.  Yeah, I know; It's not ideal, but as a minimum, an American should be armed at all times.

Well, maybe the outfielders could at least have a gun stand within easy reach.  And the cather could hide a lot under that protective gear. 

Ooh, let's not ignore the 1st and 3rd base coaches.  Who pays attention to them? 

But imagine what could be in the dugouts?  The bench-clearing brawl could have REAL fire-power ready to go!

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on June 20, 2017, 06:53:57 AM
Well, maybe the outfielders could at least have a gun stand within easy reach.  And the cather could hide a lot under that protective gear. 

Ooh, let's not ignore the 1st and 3rd base coaches.  Who pays attention to them? 

But imagine what could be in the dugouts?  The bench-clearing brawl could have REAL fire-power ready to go!
That's the ticket!