News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Abortion in Texas

Started by GrinningYMIR, June 14, 2017, 08:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningYMIR

I dunno if this has been talked about already here, but for those of you who don't know Texas recently passed a bill that put severe restrictions on abortion.

one of the biggest things is that its requiring all mothers to give a funeral for the aborted fetus, and cremation regardless of time passed

does the state really have the legal right to enforce that?
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Baruch

Yes and no.  This is the existing law, not something proposed ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Senate_Bill_5 ... see the last sentence for the current situation.

Technically, a state can pass any laws it wants, and until a State or Federal court quashes all or part of it, it is law.  Welcome to democracy.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Requiring a proper funeral for an aborted fetus seems like a lot of unnecessary fal der ral, but it does establish with great finality that an unborn fetus is a person.  After all, you wouldn't have a funeral for an unperson. 

And by having a funeral, it creates a venue for protests and shame that could not otherwise be heaped on any woman who doesn't want to bear a child.  Such wickedness would simply pass by unnoticed.  But with a forced funeral, fundamentalists can attend and scream, "Whore!" 

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on June 15, 2017, 08:37:10 AM
Requiring a proper funeral for an aborted fetus seems like a lot of unnecessary fal der ral, but it does establish with great finality that an unborn fetus is a person.  After all, you wouldn't have a funeral for an unperson. 

And by having a funeral, it creates a venue for protests and shame that could not otherwise be heaped on any woman who doesn't want to bear a child.  Such wickedness would simply pass by unnoticed.  But with a forced funeral, fundamentalists can attend and scream, "Whore!"

Yes, much like the Scarlet Letter ;-(  Japanese mothers who abort, optionally set up memorials for their departed pregnancies.  They are more civilized than the Americans.  To us, human beings are cattle.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

I would tell the funeral home I cannot pay them, but go ahead anyway. See how that works.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

GrinningYMIR

I know it's a state vs federal issue but to me it seems cruel and unusual
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Baruch

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on June 15, 2017, 05:43:09 PM
I know it's a state vs federal issue but to me it seems cruel and unusual

Yes, the powerful hate the weak, the wealthy hate the poor ... demons hate angels too.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on June 15, 2017, 04:46:46 PM
I would tell the funeral home I cannot pay them, but go ahead anyway. See how that works.

We have resumed debt prison, and the government can charge you for its services and lock you up until you pay.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on June 15, 2017, 12:54:21 PM
Yes, much like the Scarlet Letter ;-(  Japanese mothers who abort, optionally set up memorials for their departed pregnancies.  They are more civilized than the Americans.  To us, human beings are cattle.
I guess some would measure civilization by standards that don't impress me.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on June 16, 2017, 07:04:42 AM
I guess some would measure civilization by standards that don't impress me.

There are cultural practices and artifacts that don't impress me either.  This isn't limited to non-US cultures.  Female circumcision for instance.  But unless you are a woman who has had an abortion ... your opinion isn't needed (and I didn't give my opinion either, just noted a practice) in regards to what they do after an abortion.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on June 16, 2017, 07:10:19 AM
There are cultural practices and artifacts that don't impress me either.  This isn't limited to non-US cultures.  Female circumcision for instance.  But unless you are a woman who has had an abortion ... your opinion isn't needed (and I didn't give my opinion either, just noted a practice) in regards to what they do after an abortion.
I agree that male opinions on abortion are irrelevant.  But in your opinion, "They are more civilized than the Americans," uses a Japanese abortion ritual as the unit of measurement for this comparison.

Shiranu

I would by no means call the Japanese more civilized than Americans. At best it's a wash.

To answer ops question, yes until a higher court decides it violates a federal law.

Also, autocorrect to freak law. That sounds like a better system of law... whips and hot wax are now mandatory. And nipple clamps.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on June 16, 2017, 07:48:35 AM
I agree that male opinions on abortion are irrelevant.  But in your opinion, "They are more civilized than the Americans," uses a Japanese abortion ritual as the unit of measurement for this comparison.

Post abortion ritual ... rituals are a part of how most people live.  Mind you, the Japanese aren't perfect, nobody is.  But Americans are ... culturally barbaric in many respects.  Most of us are of Kurgan descent.

Of course, chauvinism being what it is, Japanese figure they are the master race.  Americans future they are post-racial ... are the master nation.  Both are wrong.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Baruch

Quote from: Mermaid on June 16, 2017, 07:46:55 PM
I fucking hate people.

I wish people were nicer too.  I understand where you are coming from (somewhat).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.