Video Microsoft Doesn't Want You To See (XB1)

Started by Shiranu, June 12, 2013, 01:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

OH! And don't forget... if your XB1 breaks, enjoy having to buy all your games over again, since they are bound to one XB1.

MAYBE Microsoft realizes how stupid that would be, and will work on other XB1 so long as its the same account... but at this point I don't even them to get that right...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/1 ... technology

Mild compared to what you find online, but there is no reason Microsoft should be engaging in it.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Farroc

I remember the good ol days when you could just pop a game into a console and start playing, without all of this unnecessary shit getting in the way. I want more hardware and less software!
"The idea of getting a, y\'know, syringe full of heroin and shooting it in the vein under my cock right now seems like almost a productive act." -Bill Hicks

Shiranu

I'm sorry, I just realized a huge reason why this matters...

There is a large market of people who can afford a new generation of console but lack internet access.

The U.S. military serving abroad.

From Navy vessels to our bases in the Middle East and Latin America, American soldiers LOVE to play video games in their down time. Alot of these places lack internet access, and the places that do have internet is often heavily regulated on base. And because of that, our soldiers will not be able to use the XB1 while on deployment, and Microsoft's response is, "That's okay, just spend your money on our previous generation... you don't really deserve the newest generation because you don't have internet, anyways.".

So yeah, its a bigger deal than I first assumed actually.

the_antithesis

Quote from: "Nonsensei"They are misreading the market. The only reason consoles are successful is because theres a demographic out there that can't afford an average gaming PC, which is something that actually can be built for around 500 dollars if you know what you're doing.

So they fucked up twice. They put the release price perilously close to what it takes to build a PC capable of gaming, and they made it online only thus telling the poor demographic that can't afford a decent internet connection to go fuck themselves again. This is on top of the previous PR fuckup in which they introduced the console as if it were some sort of glorified cable TV box.

I think what they might be trying to do with the xbone, and failing miserably at selling it to the consumer, is to make that thing a "cloud" computer dealie.

The thing about this cloud business that Steve Jobs yammered about until the day he died is that it would require a huge initial investment to set up all the infrastructure and servers and whatnot. What they're doing here is selling people the until that will have their cloud storage and maybe other things. I don't know what else cloud-wise this thing is supposed to do. Problem is this is a really, really new thing and people don't know they might want such a beast, even if once a cloud thing becomes the norm, people will wonder how they lived without it. The problem is they aren't selling it very well. They aren't showing people what the xbone can do for them. We're just hearing what we must do for the xbone. That's not how consumer electronics works.

Johan

Quote from: "Shiranu"Oh... right. So if you come from one of the many countries that has poor internet access or none at all... go fuck yourself and enjoy last generation consoles; we don't give a fuck about our customers and making sure they have access to the newest products on the market.
Since when is making sure customers have access to the newest products on the market the responsibility of Microsoft? Or any other company? Microsoft's responsibility is to make a profit for their share holders. Period.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

missingnocchi

Yeah, I wish all companies would take up the business model of caring fuck all if their customers could access their product. Supermarkets should be built exclusively at the tops of really tall trees! Ever played "the floor is lava?" Well now at the Home Depot, you can relive the memories, this time for real!
What's a "Leppo?"

Plu

QuoteSince when is making sure customers have access to the newest products on the market the responsibility of Microsoft? Or any other company? Microsoft's responsibility is to make a profit for their share holders. Period.

Well, judging by the reactions so far, that might be something they're not really going to do either.

_Xenu_

Quote from: "Johan"
Quote from: "Shiranu"Oh... right. So if you come from one of the many countries that has poor internet access or none at all... go fuck yourself and enjoy last generation consoles; we don't give a fuck about our customers and making sure they have access to the newest products on the market.
Since when is making sure customers have access to the newest products on the market the responsibility of Microsoft? Or any other company? Microsoft's responsibility is to make a profit for their share holders. Period.
Just because you make money off them doesn't make Microsoft any less evil.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Shiranu

Quote from: "Johan"

You just answered your own question.

It is their place to MAKE A PROFIT. When you tell the market to go screw itself... well, that isn't a great way to guarantee a profit.

Farroc

I'm not buying the Xbox One, and I hope more people will join in on a boycott. Maybe if we all email Prominent gamers they'll join in two. Game Informers Staff, YouTube LPer's, etc...
"The idea of getting a, y\'know, syringe full of heroin and shooting it in the vein under my cock right now seems like almost a productive act." -Bill Hicks

Johan

Quote from: "Plu"
QuoteSince when is making sure customers have access to the newest products on the market the responsibility of Microsoft? Or any other company? Microsoft's responsibility is to make a profit for their share holders. Period.

Well, judging by the reactions so far, that might be something they're not really going to do either.
Microsoft didn't get to be Microsoft by accident. I'm not saying this won't turn out to be a failure. But I am saying they don't make these sorts of decisions willy nilly. Obviously they feel there are enough people who have the required broadband access/won't care about the broadband access requirement to make the product profitable. I don't have a dog in this race so I couldn't care less. But my point remains the same. Making their product accessible/compatible enough to reach as many people as possible is only a priority if reaching as many people as possible is a requirement for maximum profitability in their particular business model.

Apple is prime example of a company that has been very profitable over the years without tailoring their product line so as to make it as accessible as possible to as many people as possible. In fact, on several occasions, Apple has been profitable while not making their product line as accessible as possible to their own existing and loyal user base.  IOW, more than once over the years Apple has more or less said to their own loyal customers 'yeah we know you all wanted us to do this or that, but we're not going to do that and every one of you is pretty much fucked unless you spend another $1500 on our new product. Fuck  you, have a nice day.' And what'd ya know? They still made record profits. Can Microsoft do the same? I don't know. But given their track record, I wouldn't write them off just yet.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Shiranu

QuoteMicrosoft didn't get to be Microsoft by accident. I'm not saying this won't turn out to be a failure. But I am saying they don't make these sorts of decisions willy nilly.

Microsoft was also owned by Bill Gates, not the new crew, when their best products came out.

missingnocchi

I like to imagine everything Microsoft has done since Bill Gates left is like an angry teenager hurting themselves to win back their girlfriend.

"Bill, if you don't come back, I'm going to gouge out my own Windows!"
"That's nice."
"I WARNED YOU" -stabs self-
"Holy shit you are a crazy person"
"I'M GONNA CUT OFF MY OWN X-BOX IF YOU DON'T COME BACK"
"Wait, just-"
"AAAIIIIGHH"
"Mother of god"
What's a "Leppo?"

Johan

Quote from: "Shiranu"Microsoft was also owned by Bill Gates, not the new crew, when their best products came out.
Well technically, Microsoft hasn't been 'owned' by Bill Gates for a very long time. And even before he stepped down, he vetted and groomed quite a team to take his place. Again, I'm not saying this won't be a failure, I have no idea. But IMHO I think Bill left his company much better prepared to carry on without him than Steve left his. Just my opinion. Time will tell.