Video Microsoft Doesn't Want You To See (XB1)

Started by Shiranu, June 12, 2013, 01:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bericks999

Maybe I missed it in this thread but have you guys/gals seen the controversy over the leaked USED game policy?  It's been divulged that once a game is purchased and registered by a user it cannot be re-used by another user.  I've heard that means no longer borrowing out games, trading them in, selling them, etc.  They may have back-tracked some and for a re-registration or re-liscensing FEE you could do those things.  

This was the word b4 the e3 press release and since then this issue has become even more convoluted, at least from what I've read.  Hopefully this entire issue goes away and the way its always been done remains.
... I swear, one day religion is going to physically poison me to death.

the_antithesis

Quote from: "Farroc"I'm not buying the Xbox One, and I hope more people will join in on a boycott.

I wouldn't call it a boycott. A boycott is when you go without something you want or need to make a political statement. The Xbone is slightly less desirable than the Casio Loopy.

[youtube:1cb40rpx]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUV2ZClaWis[/youtube:1cb40rpx]

Plu

Quote from: "Johan"
Quote from: "Plu"
QuoteSince when is making sure customers have access to the newest products on the market the responsibility of Microsoft? Or any other company? Microsoft's responsibility is to make a profit for their share holders. Period.

Well, judging by the reactions so far, that might be something they're not really going to do either.
Microsoft didn't get to be Microsoft by accident. I'm not saying this won't turn out to be a failure. But I am saying they don't make these sorts of decisions willy nilly. Obviously they feel there are enough people who have the required broadband access/won't care about the broadband access requirement to make the product profitable. I don't have a dog in this race so I couldn't care less. But my point remains the same. Making their product accessible/compatible enough to reach as many people as possible is only a priority if reaching as many people as possible is a requirement for maximum profitability in their particular business model.

Apple is prime example of a company that has been very profitable over the years without tailoring their product line so as to make it as accessible as possible to as many people as possible. In fact, on several occasions, Apple has been profitable while not making their product line as accessible as possible to their own existing and loyal user base.  IOW, more than once over the years Apple has more or less said to their own loyal customers 'yeah we know you all wanted us to do this or that, but we're not going to do that and every one of you is pretty much fucked unless you spend another $1500 on our new product. Fuck  you, have a nice day.' And what'd ya know? They still made record profits. Can Microsoft do the same? I don't know. But given their track record, I wouldn't write them off just yet.

I kinda expect people to still buy the xbox, even though it's really only designed to fuck them up the ass with a rusty spike. Because people are stupid. Your apple example only goes to prove that.

Hydra009

Quote from: "bericks999"Maybe I missed it in this thread but have you guys/gals seen the controversy over the leaked USED game policy?  It's been divulged that once a game is purchased and registered by a user it cannot be re-used by another user.  I've heard that means no longer borrowing out games, trading them in, selling them, etc.  They may have back-tracked some and for a re-registration or re-liscensing FEE you could do those things.  
Afaik, you can "share" games on XVCR, but the person you're sharing games with has to pay a fee.  You can "share" games with your "family" (up to 10 users you've granted access to your library), but only you and one additional user can play any of your games at any one time.

Hydra009

And for your enjoyment/annoyance, here's a couple deeply ironic articles from the XVCR camp:

Forbes article
(to which I twirl my finger and point out that specs don't matter as much as people believe they do - if it did console gaming would've died long ago)

5 (terrible) reasons to buy the xbox one  (Yes, yes, by all means, tell me about your persistent worlds.  Sounds like cutting edge stuff.  *tries to keep a straight face*  And yes, I'm sure you guys love your exclusives.  Like Minecraft.  *tries to keep a straight face but busts out laughing*)

Sal1981

Quote from: "Hydra009"And for your enjoyment/annoyance, here's a couple deeply ironic articles from the XVCR camp:

Forbes article
(to which I twirl my finger and point out that specs don't matter as much as people believe they do - if it did console gaming would've died long ago)

5 (terrible) reasons to buy the xbox one  (Yes, yes, by all means, tell me about your persistent worlds.  Sounds like cutting edge stuff.  *tries to keep a straight face*  And yes, I'm sure you guys love your exclusives.  Like Minecraft.  *tries to keep a straight face but busts out laughing*)

Quote from: "from the article"The complaint that gamers can't share games by toting a game disc to a friend's house misses the point. With the Xbox One, there will be no reason for that to ever happen. You can either log in to your friend's console with your account, thus giving you access to your games, or you can share your game library using the Xbox One's built-in share feature. Your friend can then play your games as long as you keep them on your share list, and the only restriction is that you can't both play the same game at the same time.
What a shitty dodge - not to mention logging in on another machine (I don't care if it is just a console) that someone else owns is VERY stupid and a security gap; and that this guy suggest doing that just shows that Micro$hit pundits are grasping at straws here.

_Xenu_

Quote from: "Shiranu"Microsoft was also owned by Bill Gates, not the new crew, when their best products came out.
Well technically, Microsoft hasn't been 'owned' by Bill Gates for a very long time. And even before he stepped down, he vetted and groomed quite a team to take his place. Again, I'm not saying this won't be a failure, I have no idea. But IMHO I think Bill left his company much better prepared to carry on without him than Steve left his. Just my opinion. Time will tell.
In all fairness, Steve Jobs leaving was voluntary in neither case.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Johan

Quote from: "_Xenu_"In all fairness, Steve Jobs leaving was voluntary in neither case.
Good point. Of course if we really wanted to get nit picky about it, one could argue that Steve's final exit was at least somewhat voluntary. If he had opted to take the advice he was given when his cancer was first diagnosed, he would very likely still be able and will today.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

the_antithesis

Bad news, I think. This thing looks like it may entice some to get an Xbone. What do you think?

[youtube:39ji95ov]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGcAkK5h9fo[/youtube:39ji95ov]

_Xenu_

Quote from: "_Xenu_"In all fairness, Steve Jobs leaving was voluntary in neither case.
Good point. Of course if we really wanted to get nit picky about it, one could argue that Steve's final exit was at least somewhat voluntary. If he had opted to take the advice he was given when his cancer was first diagnosed, he would very likely still be able and will today.
True enough. He relied on new age bullshit instead of proper medical treatment, but any way you look at it, Gates had time to cultivate talent at his own pace. Yet, who did Microsoft end up with? Balmer. Also, remember that Jobs had to come in and rebuild Apple from pretty much nothing then died in the prime of his life.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Hydra009

Quote from: "the_antithesis"Bad news, I think. This thing looks like it may entice some to get an Xbone. What do you think?

Writer posted a YouTube video
Sort of gimmicky, but possibly an easier and more intuitive way of worldbuilding.  We'll have to wait and see if it lives up to the ad, though.

Shiranu

Quote from: "the_antithesis"Bad news, I think. This thing looks like it may entice some to get an Xbone. What do you think?

Writer posted a YouTube video

It's Xbox's equivalent of "Little Big Planet", big whoop.

If people decide to get an XB1 for a game, fine. That is a total waste of money imo, but it's their dough and not mine so...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Farroc

//http://www.xboxshun.com/
There's already a good boycott site. Hope you guys will join it. They already have nearly four thousand signatures.
"The idea of getting a, y\'know, syringe full of heroin and shooting it in the vein under my cock right now seems like almost a productive act." -Bill Hicks

Johan

Quote from: "Farroc"//http://www.xboxshun.com/
There's already a good boycott site. Hope you guys will join it. They already have nearly four thousand signatures.
There is no such thing as bad press. Sites like that think they're doing harm to the product sales when in fact they generally do the exact opposite.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Farroc

Quote from: "Farroc"//http://www.xboxshun.com/
There is no such thing as bad press. Sites like that think they're doing harm to the product sales when in fact they generally do the exact opposite.
I completely disagree. It doesn't matter how much press Microsoft gets, if nobody buys their stuff they won't make a profit.  Microsoft's stock has already gone down and everybody I know had said they're not buying an Xbox One. There's no way Microsoft can succeed with the new Xbox.
"The idea of getting a, y\'know, syringe full of heroin and shooting it in the vein under my cock right now seems like almost a productive act." -Bill Hicks