News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

RIP Batman

Started by trdsf, June 10, 2017, 03:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

At least my favorite Batman.  Adam West, dead at 88.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

I remember that series as loads of fun.  When did Batman become so serious?

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on June 10, 2017, 03:42:11 PM

I think the Batman comics started as serious, as Gothic (Gotham?).  The Adam West version as strictly child's play (Bop!, Pow!)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

When people realized how incredibly lame he was.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

GrinningYMIR

I liked the old bat man more than the new ones.

Rest In Peace adam west, won't forget him
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on June 10, 2017, 04:46:43 PM
When people realized how incredibly lame he was.

And yet, they made an entire batman animated series off the cuff of that campy theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpB3WXc6aDc

most of the early superheroes we know today came from a more light hearted and camp era they did bizarre stuff like supermans ever changing powers or wonder womans invisible plane. Adam wests batman came off the back of that era, so his show will always hold a place in the history of the batman mythos, even if there are people who are to edge lord of accept that version of him.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mike Cl

I never liked Batman--nor Robin.  I wasn't really all that fond of Superman or Superboy or Supergirl.  Even as a kid, the old Superman show was really stupid.  Heckle and Jeckle were more real for than Superman.  My favorite type of hero was the Cisco and Poncho or Red Ryder and Little Beaver.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on June 10, 2017, 05:55:30 PM
I liked the old bat man more than the new ones.

Rest In Peace adam west, won't forget him

And the mayor of Springfield (Simpsons).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on June 10, 2017, 06:18:42 PM
And yet, they made an entire batman animated series off the cuff of that campy theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpB3WXc6aDc

most of the early superheroes we know today came from a more light hearted and camp era they did bizarre stuff like supermans ever changing powers or wonder womans invisible plane. Adam wests batman came off the back of that era, so his show will always hold a place in the history of the batman mythos, even if there are people who are to edge lord of accept that version of him.

Hey, people use to believe all sorts of crazy things. I'm not saying it wasn't part of Batsies past, I'm just saying it was a stupid part of it. Kinda like super ripped jeans or ABBA.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

trdsf

I blame Frank Miller.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mr.Obvious

I liked silly batman.
I like serious batman.

I am just not a fan of the intermeadiate stages of 'Batman' (1989) up to 'Batman and Robin' (1997). Even those have good things in them, like Jack Nicholson as the Joker. And will hold a place in my heart for the nostalgia-factor alone. But looking at them as wholes, all these years later, I can't say they are good.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on June 11, 2017, 02:56:33 AM
I liked silly batman.
I like serious batman.

I am just not a fan of the intermeadiate stages of 'Batman' (1989) up to 'Batman and Robin' (1997). Even those have good things in them, like Jack Nicholson as the Joker. And will hold a place in my heart for the nostalgia-factor alone. But looking at them as wholes, all these years later, I can't say they are good.
That's the way I am. The Adam West series was playfully over the top and an outright spoof, and clearly meant to be comedy, even slapstick.  I was already out of college then, and it was a huge hit with my age group.  Perhaps the success of that Batman lured Hollywood into thinking that all the superheroes of that middle era needed to indulge in the realm of the ridiculous to be successful.  Actually, one complaint about the first serious Superman, Superman Returns, was that it was perhaps "too dark and serious."  Although, I only heard that from one person.  Still Superman Returns had a ridiculous edge to it, but not ridiculous enough to be comedy, and not serious enough to seem more real.  Batman Begins was even more serious, and I welcomed that transformation in all the modern superheroes.  Batman of the middle is of so little interest to me that I don't even have one of those movies in my collection.  Although, I'm wondering if I should include one or two, just as representative of the superhero icons of that era.

When I worked at a University one of the student groups hosted a free movie each week, usually moderately older movies of high interest.  Somehow they found a serial called "Rocket Man with episodes that were perhaps 15 minutes long.  These episodes were ancient, absurdly hokey, and were on the order of the original Flash Gordon, even more absurd than Adam West.  They would show one episode before every feature film.  I would arrive at the hall which was always packed full.  They would start off with that weeks Rocket Man episode, after which half the hall would get up and leave, but always showing up again the following week.

Baruch

I liked the Disney update to Rocket Man as Rocketeer.  Yes, the stuff my parents watched in their youth were pretty silly and primitive.  When I was a kid, they ran B&W reruns of the stuff my parents watched 20 years earlier.  Do we really need a dark and serious version of Our Gang?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

RIP Adam West. What is Quahog going to do without you?

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 10, 2017, 06:51:09 PM
I never liked Batman--nor Robin.  I wasn't really all that fond of Superman or Superboy or Supergirl.  Even as a kid, the old Superman show was really stupid.  Heckle and Jeckle were more real for than Superman.  My favorite type of hero was the Cisco and Poncho or Red Ryder and Little Beaver.

The early version of Superman fought most of his battles against corrupt government officials and gangsters. That lasted until the Joseph McCarthy era when it became dangerous to even look like you were being critical of the US government. Even in Comic books.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Mike Cl

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on June 11, 2017, 08:47:49 AM
RIP Adam West. What is Quahog going to do without you?

The early version of Superman fought most of his battles against corrupt government officials and gangsters. That lasted until the Joseph McCarthy era when it became dangerous to even look like you were being critical of the US government. Even in Comic books.
Neither Cisco or Red Ryder had to worry about commies.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?