News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

RIP Batman

Started by trdsf, June 10, 2017, 03:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 11, 2017, 09:42:11 AM
Neither Cisco or Red Ryder had to worry about commies.

Didn't know about Red Ryder, did know about Cisco (in reruns).  For Westerns for kids, I saw Fess Parker as Daniel Boone.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

The 1940s and 50s movies and TV shows were mostly about the old west.  Then they disappeared for the most part.  It's interesting that a few people in those years actually grew up when the west was being settled, so I suppose there was a certain nostalgia that drove that focus.  My favorites were Roy Rodgers and in a pinch, Gene Autry.  Cisco and Poncho were probably number three on my list.  I didn't like it when the cowboys sang songs, though.  I put up with it, but that's about all.  I just didn't believe that cowboys sang that much when they weren't shooting bad guys or hanging out in the saloon.

SGOS

A great satirical Western is Rustler's Rhapsody featuring Rex O'Herlihan, The Singin' Cowboy. Tom Berenger is the good guy riding his trusty steed, Wildfire, from town to town, and Andy Griffith as the ruthless cattle baron.  Really, it's great fun.  You won't be disappointed.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on June 11, 2017, 10:14:46 AM
Didn't know about Red Ryder, did know about Cisco (in reruns).  For Westerns for kids, I saw Fess Parker as Daniel Boone.
Yeah, so did I.  I listened to Cisco and Pancho on the radio--as well as the Lone Ranger, Buster Crabbe, Gunsmoke, The Whistler and tons of my grandmother's soaps.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on June 11, 2017, 12:41:35 PM
The 1940s and 50s movies and TV shows were mostly about the old west.  Then they disappeared for the most part.  It's interesting that a few people in those years actually grew up when the west was being settled, so I suppose there was a certain nostalgia that drove that focus.  My favorites were Roy Rodgers and in a pinch, Gene Autry.  Cisco and Poncho were probably number three on my list.  I didn't like it when the cowboys sang songs, though.  I put up with it, but that's about all.  I just didn't believe that cowboys sang that much when they weren't shooting bad guys or hanging out in the saloon.
I was not fond of the singing, either.  One of my favs was also Rex Allen.  I liked him better than both Gene Autry or Roy Rogers. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 11, 2017, 02:01:12 PM
Yeah, so did I.  I listened to Cisco and Pancho on the radio--as well as the Lone Ranger, Buster Crabbe, Gunsmoke, The Whistler and tons of my grandmother's soaps.

My dad ... Westerns.

My grandparents ... Lawrence Welk.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on June 11, 2017, 10:54:47 PM
My dad ... Westerns.

My grandparents ... Lawrence Welk.
My mom--Lawrence Welk and Liberace.  Dad--westerns.  My grandparents, the polka and the  schottische--Charlie Chapman.

trdsf

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 11, 2017, 11:03:12 PM
My mom--Lawrence Welk and Liberace.  Dad--westerns.  My grandparents, the polka and the  schottische--Charlie Chapman.
Oh, hell, *I* know how to polka, if it comes to that.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

AllPurposeAtheist

All I can say is the last time I was getting beat up in a dark alley the last person I would have been hoping to come along to save me would have been wearing colorful tights and a cape.
That said dark alleys really get a bad rap. If you're wondering around at night looking for a safe place to hang out you can find no place safer. "The bad guys" looking to rob the casual stranger just don't hang out in dark alleys..  The reason is quite simple,  there's just nobody there to rob. 
As far as Adam West goes don't expect me to get all teary eyed. He was a pretty lousy actor at best. The dynamic dual looked like the kids in school who always got their asses kicked.
Anyone remember the crappy product Lawrence Welk sold on TV in the mid 70s? The Lawrence Welk Musical Spoons.. it was just a couple of cheap spoons held together with some spring loaded gizmo..    http://m.ebay.com/itm/Lawrence-Welk-Musical-Spoons-with-Red-Handle-/182285435859
Too bad that the crappy Lawrence Welk accent doesn't translate well in text.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Mike Cl

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on June 12, 2017, 06:38:12 AM
All I can say is the last time I was getting beat up in a dark alley the last person I would have been hoping to come along to save me would have been wearing colorful tights and a cape.
That said dark alleys really get a bad rap. If you're wondering around at night looking for a safe place to hang out you can find no place safer. "The bad guys" looking to rob the casual stranger just don't hang out in dark alleys..  The reason is quite simple,  there's just nobody there to rob. 
As far as Adam West goes don't expect me to get all teary eyed. He was a pretty lousy actor at best. The dynamic dual looked like the kids in school who always got their asses kicked.
Anyone remember the crappy product Lawrence Welk sold on TV in the mid 70s? The Lawrence Welk Musical Spoons.. it was just a couple of cheap spoons held together with some spring loaded gizmo..    http://m.ebay.com/itm/Lawrence-Welk-Musical-Spoons-with-Red-Handle-/182285435859
Too bad that the crappy Lawrence Welk accent doesn't translate well in text.
Lawrence Welk in the 70's??  I remember Lawrence Welk in the 50's.  My mom loved him--and back in the day, we got only one channel.

Baruch

Saw Lawrence Welk in the 60s ... he was around a long time.  And then syndicated reruns ever since.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Well, fuck.  As if losing Adam West isn't bad enough, I just found out Peter Sallis -- the voice of Wallace in the Wallace and Gromit animations -- died last week.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mr.Obvious

I wonder how Bruce Wayne is taking all of this...
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on June 12, 2017, 12:34:32 PM
Well, fuck.  As if losing Adam West isn't bad enough, I just found out Peter Sallis -- the voice of Wallace in the Wallace and Gromit animations -- died last week.

One more time for old times sake ... "Cheese"!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 10, 2017, 06:51:09 PM
My favorite type of hero was the Cisco and Poncho or Red Ryder and Little Beaver.

Oh, I thought you were taking about this fellow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwrN98wTYVA
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman