News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

We Are Sikhs

Started by Shiranu, June 10, 2017, 03:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

"Do you think they would reciprocate?"

Is that what we should base our being decent human beings on? What's in it for us.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on July 17, 2017, 01:35:07 PM
"Do you think they would reciprocate?"

Is that what we should base our being decent human beings on? What's in it for us.

That is what "natural law" hypothesizes.  We imagine if everyone did X, would X be of benefit to society as a whole.  So if you bless, you get blessed.  If you curse, your are cursed.  There are no decent human beings as you describe them (Christian saints they are called, and they are fake).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: fencerider on July 15, 2017, 02:21:08 AM
cops are supposed to be guilty until proven innocent... and somehow that has been forgotten and changed into let's all kiss the cops ass.

4th ammendment says that a judge can not give a cop a warrant without some kind of proof you committed a crime. Habeus Corpus says that when you get picked up you have a right to demand the cop prove to the judge that you were involved in a crime.

I've been stopped enough times for no reason to know that they all need to take a chill pill and get off their adrenaline high. Even got stopped 3 times just walking down the street. I am white but so what. I still say fire every last one of those assholes and start over again from scratch with people who are going to earn respect instead of demand it

Everyone is innocent until proven guilty.  Cops too.  But they must not be pronounced innocent when there is video proof of guilt.  That turns evidence on its head and suggests that cops are above the law. 

You can't claim fear for your life just because a person announces they have a legal gun in their car.  Facing THAT is part of the job. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 18, 2017, 05:48:32 AM
Everyone is innocent until proven guilty.  Cops too.  But they must not be pronounced innocent when there is video proof of guilt.  That turns evidence on its head and suggests that cops are above the law. 

You can't claim fear for your life just because a person announces they have a legal gun in their car.  Facing THAT is part of the job.

Cops, conservatives, the IRS all disagree with you.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

If you have a legal right to have a gun,
You can't be killed for having one.
But wait, it seems that yes you can
If color scares that armed policeman.

The laws are writ for those, they say,
Who armed with badges rule the day,
But licensed killers sure to know
Their blueshirt brethren love them so.

And if a one should come to trial,
Their buddies there will shade and lie,
And friends invent outrageous tales
That conteravent the camera's truth

That nary gun was ever seen or found,
Raised in anger, on the ground
Or hidden with decept intent,
But faked to be though cameras show

Upon the graveyards of the dead,
The lines of markers showing that,
To be minority meaning as it did
Poor chance chance to older grow than "kid".

This is not a poem, see?
It is a rant in anger.
That too many minorities
See youth a path to death,

It starts out "them"
And If I do not scream loudly enough,
Some day they'll
Feel free to shoot me...

So I will scream loudly
But maybe not loudly enough,
And then I'll wish
I had screamed louder

Dontre Hamilton
Eric Garner
John Crawford III
Michael Brown Jr
Ezell Ford
Dante Parker
Tanisha Anderson
Akai Gurley
Tamir Rice
Rumain Brisbon
Jerame Reid
Tony Robinson
Phillip White
Eric Harris
Walter Scott
Freddie Gray
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Many policemen = former war veteran with PTSD, that goes into "combat mode" when triggered by a civilian confrontation.  Your rights don't protect shit.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Shiranu on July 17, 2017, 06:29:10 AM
I thought atheists were suppose to be the rational ones...

We are! You are defending a non rational religious sect because they can be very peaceful. And I'm saying they still have darkness in them because they are religious and you're like defending that darkness saying its good.

Shiranu

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on July 18, 2017, 03:08:36 PM
We are! You are defending a non rational religious sect because they can be very peaceful. And I'm saying they still have darkness in them because they are religious and you're like defending that darkness saying its good.

Their good outweighs the average atheists good in my experience, so to judge them for flaws in their ideology is hypocritical and impractical.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on July 18, 2017, 03:08:36 PM

The Abyss lies in all.  And I am not lying ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Shiranu on July 18, 2017, 06:31:07 PM
Their good outweighs the average atheists good in my experience, so to judge them for flaws in their ideology is hypocritical and impractical.

Okay Mr. nutty fruitcake.

Shiranu

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on July 19, 2017, 01:28:52 AM
Okay Mr. nutty fruitcake.

For some reason, that doesn't seem too insulting coming from someone taking pride in being ignorant and insisting atheists have a set ideology and anyone who disagrees is not a "True Atheist"...

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Shiranu on July 19, 2017, 08:36:39 AM
For some reason, that doesn't seem too insulting coming from someone taking pride in being ignorant and insisting atheists have a set ideology and anyone who disagrees is not a "True Atheist"...

I may have made a mistake or too from ignorance I will admit that, but I will never accept religion or think religious people should be accepted when they think in a fantasy world. I cannot this is reality not the world of imagination and their religion has no business coming in between science and histories moral laws.

Also I'm Militant Atheist

Shiranu

Quote...but I will never accept religion or think religious people should be accepted when they think in a fantasy world.

Again, if that fantasy world is one that leads them to being better human beings than the average atheist, than I have no place to judge them.

QuoteI cannot this is reality not the world of imagination and their religion has no business coming in between science...

Completely agreed. However for the overwhelming majority of scientists, this is not an issue, particularly in developed countries (even the ones that are still deeply religious. If you look at the top 40 countries by scientific output, you see no concrete correlation between religiosity of a country and their output; Ireland, U.S., Spain, Portugal, Greece, etc. are up there with more secular countries.).

Edit: If you want to check quality of research and not just quantity, the United States comes out on top, as do countries like Italy, India and Spain. So again, no real correlation.

Blaming religion for holding science back is blaming a symptom for the disease.

Quote...and histories moral laws.

I'm going to need some clarification here, because histories moral laws ARE religion, and when they weren't they were often very... unpleasant... as well. Of course in those cases you can just say, "Well, but the politics or sociology became a religion in themselves!" but then you are ignoring the fact that the exact same argument can be made about the religious sins.

QuoteAlso I'm Militant Atheist

My condolences?

Baruch

It is OK to be militant.  I am not a pacifist either.  Under some circumstances, I would approve of killing other human beings, or even doing it myself.

The problem I have is with arrogance.  People think because their are theist, that they are someone special.  Some atheists think this way too ;-)

In my case, I try not to look down on fellow human beings, however ape like their behavior.  I would be hypocritical if I did, unless I want to be self hating.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.