Darwin for Toddlers. It's Not that Complicated.

Started by SGOS, May 31, 2017, 09:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 10, 2018, 08:50:12 PM
But did you understand ... that there is more than one way to do anything, and a smart person doesn't rule any method out, but uses whichever applies at any given time.  Without diachrony there is no cause-effect, no history.  But synchrony is useful sometimes.

You mean as an analysis of change over time?  Yeah.  Though I think "spacetime" is nearly the same.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 14, 2018, 09:35:22 AM
You mean as an analysis of change over time?  Yeah.  Though I think "spacetime" is nearly the same.

Yes.  But don't mistake the tool for the work.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 14, 2018, 10:01:15 AM
Yes.  But don't mistake the tool for the work.

Spacetime is not a tool.. Get with the program...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 14, 2018, 10:46:28 AM
Spacetime is not a tool.. Get with the program...

Spacetime is an idea, used by humans, to work relativity problems with.  It isn't the Bahamas, that Columbus has discovered.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 14, 2018, 01:41:45 PM
Spacetime is an idea, used by humans, to work relativity problems with.  It isn't the Bahamas, that Columbus has discovered.

The Science Channel declared last night that Spacetime is "everything there is".  You arguing with them too now?  ;)

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 14, 2018, 02:28:18 PM
The Science Channel declared last night that Spacetime is "everything there is".  You arguing with them too now?  ;)

No everything is a whole number - Pythagoras.

Actually the idea that spacetime is everything, is from William Clifford, and even predates Relativity by decades.  In spite of much effort, this hasn't entirely worked out (but QFT is close).

Everything is virtual particles of the various quantum fields, zipping into and out of existence per Heisenberg.  It is a mystery why there is more than one field, why they have the forms and interactions that they do, and why they have 4 non-euclidean degrees of freedom (aka spacetime).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 14, 2018, 04:49:15 PM
No everything is a whole number - Pythagoras.

Actually the idea that spacetime is everything, is from William Clifford, and even predates Relativity by decades.  In spite of much effort, this hasn't entirely worked out (but QFT is close).

Everything is virtual particles of the various quantum fields, zipping into and out of existence per Heisenberg.  It is a mystery why there is more than one field, why they have the forms and interactions that they do, and why they have 4 non-euclidean degrees of freedom (aka spacetime).

The most popular current version of reality, maybe.  And keep in mind that Heisenberg made up the dead/not dead cat as sarcasm...

And with that, I retire.  To where I may or may not be asleep, and sleeping, perchance to dream of being awake or not and I won't know until I awake and consider whether I am a person dreaming I am a butterfly or a butterfly dreaming I am a person, while I might well be a cockroach anyway!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 24, 2018, 06:18:56 PM
The most popular current version of reality, maybe.  And keep in mind that Heisenberg made up the dead/not dead cat as sarcasm...

And with that, I retire.  To where I may or may not be asleep, and sleeping, perchance to dream of being awake or not and I won't know until I awake and consider whether I am a person dreaming I am a butterfly or a butterfly dreaming I am a person, while I might well be a cockroach anyway!

Retired to bed, but not soon enough.  Schroedinger, not Heisenberg.  They even hated each other.  And stop reading Kafka, or you will wake up Jewish.  Not likely as an early Chinese person.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Devolution is definitely real.  Been a witness for over 6 decades.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

Quote from: Jason78 on July 30, 2018, 08:59:47 PM
Why can't I get away with selectively breeding humans?

Go to a bar just before closing time and choose carefully from what's available.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken