Darwin for Toddlers. It's Not that Complicated.

Started by SGOS, May 31, 2017, 09:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

From you link:

Frank Lloyd Wright adopted and professed the same principle in a slightly different formâ€"perhaps because shaking off the old styles gave them more freedom and latitude.
I've toured a few of Wright's buildings and studied him some in collage, and while I admire the practical philosophy of form following function, I really can't see it in Wright's designs.  It's not like they defy the philosophy over all.  They are just buildings that are more or less practical.  I think today's buildings are actually more practical.  And Wright does deviate by adorning his architecture with attractive, but totally unnecessary foo fah at times.  What he did well was design buildings with his metaphorical visual signature.  You can spot one of his buildings from a block away, and I'm sure the owners will point out that it's a Frank Lloyd Wright design in case you didn't notice.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 31, 2018, 01:55:46 PM
Wikipedia says it was coined by an architect, Louis Sullivan:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Form_follows_function

Louis Sullivan was from the Chicago School of architecture, he designed the first high rise office building

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Sullivan

Frank Lloyd Wright was one of his students.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Jason78 on July 30, 2018, 08:59:47 PM
Why can't I get away with selectively breeding humans?

You need a population totally under your control.  It's awkward.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 01, 2018, 06:20:52 AM

He probably means ... he wants to be the only male breeder ;-)  Majaraja time.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 01, 2018, 07:28:56 AM
He probably means ... he wants to be the only male breeder ;-)  Majaraja time.

Oh well then, maybe he wants to be a naked mole rat or meerkat or some type of cichlid...

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on August 01, 2018, 06:20:52 AM
And sooner or later they get so selective they won't breed with you.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 06, 2018, 09:54:56 AM

Well, until they become "not you" it's good.  They one day it isn't.

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 06, 2018, 09:54:56 AM
So that's why I couldn't get a date in high school or college â€" I'm the wrong species!  XD
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on August 11, 2018, 07:07:41 PM
So that's why I couldn't get a date in high school or college â€" I'm the wrong species!  XD

Male youths think mistakenly that they are entitled to dates, particularly with pretty girls.  This is part of toxic teen/college culture.  Of course there is a corresponding female version ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on August 11, 2018, 07:07:41 PM

Well, yeah, if you don't show the right feathers, or fluttery wing-waves, or swan-neck bend, or club membership, or dance moves, or the right car, you are not going to be chosen. 

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on August 12, 2018, 04:05:12 AM
Well, yeah, if you don't show the right feathers, or fluttery wing-waves, or swan-neck bend, or club membership, or dance moves, or the right car, you are not going to be chosen.
Not to mention having been socially conditioned to assume I was straight.  And a reasonably devout Catholic.  So I didn't pursue dates with girls with any sort of enthusiasm, and I couldn't conceive of pursuing a date with a guy because one just "didn't".  And being 1-2 years younger than everyone else in my class didn't help â€" I graduated at 16.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

https://sustainablepulse.com/2018/10/09/the-creator-of-gmo-potatoes-reveals-the-dangerous-truth-exclusive-interview/#.W73Jqy-ZNTZ

Yes, evolution is complicated, being a diachronic process, not a synchronic one.  Particularly when humans are doing the modifying, not random mutations.  Use legacy seeds when you can.  Or enjoy cancer.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 10, 2018, 05:49:43 AM
https://sustainablepulse.com/2018/10/09/the-creator-of-gmo-potatoes-reveals-the-dangerous-truth-exclusive-interview/#.W73Jqy-ZNTZ

Yes, evolution is complicated, being a diachronic process, not a synchronic one.  Particularly when humans are doing the modifying, not random mutations.  Use legacy seeds when you can.  Or enjoy cancer.

"Diachronic"?  I'm impressed!  You amaze me sometimes. That's why I'm still reading your posts.  Not that you should do that deliberately, but I love seeing words I know sometimes that I don't think to use. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 10, 2018, 01:40:47 PM
"Diachronic"?  I'm impressed!  You amaze me sometimes. That's why I'm still reading your posts.  Not that you should do that deliberately, but I love seeing words I know sometimes that I don't think to use.

But did you understand ... that there is more than one way to do anything, and a smart person doesn't rule any method out, but uses whichever applies at any given time.  Without diachrony there is no cause-effect, no history.  But synchrony is useful sometimes.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.