Why Chronicles of Narnia is a good book......

Started by SatanicJesus, May 29, 2017, 05:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SatanicJesus

Because it puts god in a fairy tale where he belongs!

Sal1981

Baruch

Quote from: SatanicJesus on May 29, 2017, 05:22:44 AM
Because it puts god in a fairy tale where he belongs!

I have read the whole series, to my daughter, when she was young.  I like fairy tales ... and Narnia puts a ME story into a European model, and made it more contemporary.  Do you have anything against fairy tales?  Some folks here have killed their inner child ... and that is an act of murder.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on May 29, 2017, 06:59:04 AM
I have read the whole series, to my daughter, when she was young.  I like fairy tales ... and Narnia puts a ME story into a European model, and made it more contemporary.  Do you have anything against fairy tales?  Some folks here have killed their inner child ... and that is an act of murder.
Love fairy tales.  Women Who Run With The Wolves is a great book dealing with fairy tales and women. 
I tend to bundle up Sci Fi, fairy tales and fantasy into one big bundle.  Read to my daughter each night from one of those areas.  Finished up with the Ring Trilogy by Tolkien.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SatanicJesus

So serious these responses.....

Ya, that's right, the point of this post is because "I hate fairy tales" lol.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SatanicJesus on May 29, 2017, 12:27:05 PM
So serious these responses.....

Ya, that's right, the point of this post is because "I hate fairy tales" lol.
It wasn't?????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

Honestly, while there are some interesting ideas in the Narnia series, it also has a lot of stupid. Santa Clause shows up in the first book to give gifts of deadly weapons to children, which is a problem in itself, but it also muddies up the message of the series. Narnia is supposed to be the fantasy world that represents Biblical concepts and stories. In contrast, the world outside of Narnia is supposed to represent "real life," with the real Jesus of history and such. So does Santa Clause only exist in Narnia, or is he supposed to be from the real world?

Then there's Aslan's excuse for not showing up sooner in Prince Caspian. "Things never happen the same way twice." WTF kind of an excuse is that? Feline Jesus couldn't show up before shit hit the fan because he didn't want to repeat himself? He could have given the cliche line, "I work in mysterious ways. Shut up kid." I doubt the people who died while he waited around doing nothing will accept that excuse in Narnia Heaven.

Most of the books are spent trying to justify Christian beliefs, so of course most of the stupid things Christians say are also said in the books. With one notable exception being that the kid who worshiped the wrong god still got to enter Narnia Heaven. I kinda wish the final Narnia book would be made into a movie so that Christians can see what is essentially a Muslim getting entry into Heaven. I'm sure that'd go over well.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Not real fond of C.S. Lewis--don't care for his style.  And as I understand it, he and Tolkien were great friends.  Well, until the end--they grew to hate one another.  Since they were quibbling about religion I did not side with either one.  But I happen to love Tolkien's style and the Hobbit and The Ring Trilogy, I'll side with him. :))  I am told Tolkien was giving the Catholic view in those books, but I don't see it--and therefore it must not be so. :))

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 29, 2017, 09:29:54 PM
Honestly, while there are some interesting ideas in the Narnia series, it also has a lot of stupid. Santa Clause shows up in the first book to give gifts of deadly weapons to children, which is a problem in itself, but it also muddies up the message of the series. Narnia is supposed to be the fantasy world that represents Biblical concepts and stories. In contrast, the world outside of Narnia is supposed to represent "real life," with the real Jesus of history and such. So does Santa Clause only exist in Narnia, or is he supposed to be from the real world?

Then there's Aslan's excuse for not showing up sooner in Prince Caspian. "Things never happen the same way twice." WTF kind of an excuse is that? Feline Jesus couldn't show up before shit hit the fan because he didn't want to repeat himself? He could have given the cliche line, "I work in mysterious ways. Shut up kid." I doubt the people who died while he waited around doing nothing will accept that excuse in Narnia Heaven.

Most of the books are spent trying to justify Christian beliefs, so of course most of the stupid things Christians say are also said in the books. With one notable exception being that the kid who worshiped the wrong god still got to enter Narnia Heaven. I kinda wish the final Narnia book would be made into a movie so that Christians can see what is essentially a Muslim getting entry into Heaven. I'm sure that'd go over well.

Someplace in the Tanakh it also quotes G-d saying that G-d actually isn't against Egyptian people, no matter how bad he treated them ;-)  Remember, Christians have to conflate the two very different religions of Temple Judaism and Paul.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

I read the series slowly.  It is about as lame as the actual Oz books.  I mean, have you actually READ them?  They're terrible.  Like Redwall only worse.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!