News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Paralegal certification course

Started by VioletHernan, May 29, 2017, 02:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VioletHernan

Hi there,
I am on the verge of my high school graduation. I love to learn and want to acquire more knowledge. My ambition is to become a lawyer but I am not sure whether I can achieve my aim.  My father left us while us while I was a toddler and my mother raised me alone. I know she worked hard to raise me. She is working in a daycare.
During my holidays I worked for the part time in a hotel. I know that my mom is getting weak and I don't want her to go to work anymore. So I am looking for a good job. The hotel owner where I am working for the part-time asked me to work for full time and so I have to quit my education. I a sure that my mom won't be happy with this. So I am unable to take a decision on this. 
I have heard Link removed by Moderator and I am interested in it. I am planning to take a break from my part-time job and do the course after the graduation. I believe that I can find new job opportunities and land a good job after this career training program.

Mr.Obvious

I suppose this can count as an intro thread.
Welcome, to our little band of heathens.
Becoming a lawyer seems very ambitious, but there is nothing wrong with ambition.

I'm not going to advise you one way or another though. All I can suggest is you take a long time thinking about what you want, talk it over with those close to you, look at what is possible and then do what you feel is right.

Not going to follow the link. Good chance it won't send me to a virus-infested website, but I only just met you and don't want to risk it. Sorry.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Good on you for wanting to support your mother.  Never stop learning.  Find a way to fit into society in a way that is paid, unless you are planning on being a house-wife, house-husband.  It is a common, but hard decision, to balance current needs with the desire to get ahead.  I took most of my college education before I got married, and I had no need back then to support my parents.  Can you take your non-test education on-line?  Regular class times are ... so 20th century.  You can find time off from work to take formal tests.

I haven't had much experience with attorneys, but I suspect you need to do what you like.  Do you like lots of reading and writing, and reading rather technical and dull material?  Read some actual legal papers and see if they make sense to you.  Of course the law is an important subject, you are involved in social order and politics.  Being a paralegal is a good initial ambition.  There is always work for paralegals ... getting thru a full legal education is hard ... and passing the Bar isn't the hardest part ... breaking into a legal practice (existing senior and junior partners) is very hard.

Talk with graduates of the institute or program you are considering.  College admins aren't your best source.  If it is a good program, and the rest of the situation works for you, then commit, and don't give up until you complete.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: VioletHernan on May 29, 2017, 02:27:21 AM
Hi there,
I am on the verge of my high school graduation. I love to learn and want to acquire more knowledge. My ambition is to become a lawyer but I am not sure whether I can achieve my aim.  My father left us while us while I was a toddler and my mother raised me alone. I know she worked hard to raise me. She is working in a daycare.
During my holidays I worked for the part time in a hotel. I know that my mom is getting weak and I don't want her to go to work anymore. So I am looking for a good job. The hotel owner where I am working for the part-time asked me to work for full time and so I have to quit my education. I a sure that my mom won't be happy with this. So I am unable to take a decision on this. 
I have heard Consistency Edit about the 1100 hours paralegal studies programs Vaughan[/url] and I am interested in it. I am planning to take a break from my part-time job and do the course after the graduation. I believe that I can find new job opportunities and land a good job after this career training program.
Does your high school have a job counselor?  If so, use him/her.  They will have many good pointers for you and in your area (physical area), too.  Ask your teachers and administrators what they think.  Pick the brains of anybody that has any knowledge in your HS.  Good luck.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

aitm

You need to supply condoms when posting a link. Well, not technically but I am thinking of adding it to the rules. Paralegal jobs are semi sadistic. You have to enjoy regular beatings.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on May 29, 2017, 03:04:38 PM
You need to supply condoms when posting a link. Well, not technically but I am thinking of adding it to the rules. Paralegal jobs are semi sadistic. You have to enjoy regular beatings.

New name for a book ... Fifty Shades of Legality ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

My aunt became a lawyer after she retired from her job as a journalist.  She went through the law clerk route rather than law school.  Some states allow this.  She tried law school, but didn't do very well in spite of the fact that she was brilliant.  This was probably because her eccentricities were not highly compatible with law school, but I'm just guessing wildly here.  As a law clerk working towards passing the bar, you work full time.  I'm not sure if you get paid or not.  My aunt loved it.

I took a sample test of the LSAT (the law school aptitude test) that came at the end of a book on the LSAT.  It was fun, with a lot of interesting puzzle type questions, but scary enough to make me question my aptitude, but I was nearing the end of my own retirement and was having second thoughts about getting myself into another headache.  I opted for leisure instead. 

This is a good time in your life.  I'd like to do it over again, but you can't do that.  Enjoy.

Cavebear

Being a lawyer means strongly defending people you know are guilty, seeing innocent people you defended go to jail, and making arguments that are illogical but falsely convincing to juries of people you wouldn't trust to mow your lawn, and laughing at lawyer TV shows all your life.

I took the LSAT test in college and scored very highly.  I considered it as a career.  But I talked to a few who actually cared about the profession.  They basically said that you sell your right to think of justice in return for getting for getting 1 innocent person free in exchange for a dozen evil bastards set free.  They said you have to make the fakiest arguments to play to the jurors.  And that jurors were basically people too dumb to get out of serving on a jury. 

I decided not to pursue a legal career.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on June 20, 2017, 03:19:36 AM
Being a lawyer means strongly defending people you know are guilty, seeing innocent people you defended go to jail, and making arguments that are illogical but falsely convincing to juries of people you wouldn't trust to mow your lawn, and laughing at lawyer TV shows all your life.

I took the LSAT test in college and scored very highly.  I considered it as a career.  But I talked to a few who actually cared about the profession.  They basically said that you sell your right to think of justice in return for getting for getting 1 innocent person free in exchange for a dozen evil bastards set free.  They said you have to make the fakiest arguments to play to the jurors.  And that jurors were basically people too dumb to get out of serving on a jury. 

I decided not to pursue a legal career.
I had a lawyer tell me that exact same thing.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on June 20, 2017, 06:39:20 AM
I had a lawyer tell me that exact same thing.

I'm actually sorry to hear agreement on this.  There was some hope that I just heard from cynical people.  But no, they were right.

Same thing about debating, BTW.  One long-term manager heard me saying I thought I would have been good at debates and he disabused me of the notion.  I thought it was about logical arguments.  He said "no. it is just about which side can say the most things the fastest to score debating points from the judges".  Accuracy and logic don't count.  And that lawyering was like that but with some style. 

I have been a bit depressed ever since.  There is a reason a build stuff with wood and tend to my garden.  In the office, I constructed a personal world of telecommunications numbers and facts.  It was interesting, but I happily retired the day it was allowed.

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on June 20, 2017, 07:03:30 AM
I'm actually sorry to hear agreement on this.  There was some hope that I just heard from cynical people.  But no, they were right.

Same thing about debating, BTW.  One long-term manager heard me saying I thought I would have been good at debates and he disabused me of the notion.  I thought it was about logical arguments.  He said "no. it is just about which side can say the most things the fastest to score debating points from the judges".  Accuracy and logic don't count.  And that lawyering was like that but with some style. 

I have been a bit depressed ever since.  There is a reason a build stuff with wood and tend to my garden.  In the office, I constructed a personal world of telecommunications numbers and facts.  It was interesting, but I happily retired the day it was allowed.
Yes, it's not satisfying to think that logic often loses, which is why logic usually fails to win a debate with a theist or anyone who objects to reality.  However, there is something to be gained by recognizing that debating is really about persuasion, and while persuasion has political value that can be useful if used wisely, it is not about reality.  Politics and its tool of persuasion are simply not about reality.  Some reality can be interjected into the political arena, but it can never own it.  These are two separate things.  While this is a bummer, it's never a failure to recognize accurately what you are dealing with.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on June 20, 2017, 07:53:15 AM
Yes, it's not satisfying to think that logic often loses, which is why logic usually fails to win a debate with a theist or anyone who objects to reality.  However, there is something to be gained by recognizing that debating is really about persuasion, and while persuasion has political value that can be useful if used wisely, it is not about reality.  Politics and its tool of persuasion are simply not about reality.  Some reality can be interjected into the political arena, but it can never own it.  These are two separate things.  While this is a bummer, it's never a failure to recognize accurately what you are dealing with.

The Athenians worshipped "persuasion" as a goddess ... Peitho.  She's a fickle bitch.  Just ask Socrates ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on June 20, 2017, 07:53:15 AM

You missed the point.  "debate" is actually a point count more like boxig.  A response, sensible or not to an opponent statement is a point.  Like a meaningless jab to boxer counts as a point.  It is really sick and irrational.  Each side simply makes a statement to refute the other.  Truth doesn't matter.

Jason Harvestdancer

[mod]Mod Note - your link looks like spam.  Good luck with your paralegal if you really are doing that.  Less luck with your advertising job.[/mod]
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!