Fewer Americans Than Ever Hold Creationist Views

Started by Hydra009, May 26, 2017, 03:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

I was absolutely taken with that movie, it was so ... antiquarian ;-)  Did you know that Cyrano de Bergerac was the first European to write science fiction?  Also it was his idea, about the king and queen of the moon (the king being played by Robin Williams in this movie).  Lunacy was never so funny.  Also the Baron is the only one who ever solved the problem of "pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps" ... though in fact he did pull himself and his horse out of the mire, by pulling on his own pony tail.  The full version of The Travels of Gulliver was wonderful too ... the view of reality in 1700 was so naive and quaint ... so unlike the awful last 200 years.

This version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOFn0eCFV8M
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 14, 2017, 04:11:24 PM
I think I've found a soul-mate! I idolize Baron Munchhausen:

That's my idea how to spend an afterlife!
And if I can't have that kind of afterlife, I'll take oblivion, thanks. :)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on June 15, 2017, 10:28:50 AM
And if I can't have that kind of afterlife, I'll take oblivion, thanks. :)

But being a science demigod is OK?

So you want to be Q?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvVP740Pt3Y
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on June 14, 2017, 09:07:26 PM
I was absolutely taken with that movie, it was so ... antiquarian ;-)  Did you know that Cyrano de Bergerac was the first European to write science fiction?  Also it was his idea, about the king and queen of the moon (the king being played by Robin Williams in this movie).  Lunacy was never so funny.  Also the Baron is the only one who ever solved the problem of "pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps" ... though in fact he did pull himself and his horse out of the mire, by pulling on his own pony tail.  The full version of The Travels of Gulliver was wonderful too ... the view of reality in 1700 was so naive and quaint ... so unlike the awful last 200 years.

This version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOFn0eCFV8M
Yeah, I remember seeing that, I thought it was a really fun movie! Who'd've thought Ted Danson could be so good?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on June 14, 2017, 01:06:18 PM
That's an angle I hadn't thought about -- my usual analysis is that it developed out of a need for social control as we evolved from mobile hunter-gatherers to stationary farmers.  And also it's useful for a local leader to have a retainer who isn't afraid to promise a better second life to cushion the blow of this life sucking -- at least sucking for everyone who's not the leader and his favored few (almost inevitably including the religious leader, fancy that).  But this does rather play into human competitiveness -- and we are a competitive species.  Who wouldn't want a do-over?

Well, other than me.  Even when I was a believer, the last kind of eternity I wanted was the alabaster city in the clouds forever singing hosannahs.  I wanted to cruise the universe unfettered by Einstein's laws and see what all was out there.

1.  Half of all humans are dumber than average.  That makes them more subject to superstitions. 
2.  Some of the smarter half are psychologically insecure and need a Daddy-figure.
3.  Another part of the smarter half commit actions they fear will send them to Hell if they don't "believe" in redemption.
4.  Another part of the smarter half act religious for social reasons (think politicians and preachers).
5.  The ones left are atheists.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!